Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JQP442

Minitor 5

25 posts in this topic

I have heard that motorola is going to be discontinuing the minitor 4 and releasing the minitor 5 in May of this year. Has anyone else heard anything about this such as what the difference between the 3/4 and 5 are going to be? Is it worth holding off moving away from my trusted minitor 2 (was thinking about getting a 4) and just get a 5?

Long live the M II--like no other!!!

I've heard that the Minitor 5 will be better than the 4's. The highlighted feature: stored voice.

The 3's have stored voice as do the 4's--only in VHF High and UHF--are they adding it to low band? I have heard that the stored voice can be a nuisence though.

That is correct, they are adding stored voice to low band.

Some M4's have stored voice, however, its only for 30 seconds and it records all radio traffic in this 30 second span. It's good for a repeat on the address and nature of the call, but that's about it. Mine, and I don't know if it's all M4's or just the way mine is programmed, doesn't open once tones go off. When I had my M2, once tones went off, it would stay open till I squelched it; on my M4, I have to manually turn it to D to listen to the open EMS channel. With the exception of the small added convenience of being able to repeat the call address and nature, I think the M4 sucks. I'd gladly take back my M2 if I could.

The stored voice function can be programmed for a set amount or record time. The 3's and 4's can be set to reset a number of ways--one being automatic after a specified time frame and another is manual (like the 2's). There are I think 2 or 3 others. I don't like the squelch sound between the tones tripping them and the message and then again after the mesage is over(until the voice storage stop recording)

Other than adding different tones (now musical) and increasing the length of the stored voice, sounds like Motorola is just fixing some of the problems with the M3/4 series of pagers. =D> From what I understand rescption has been a problem since the end of the M2 line. Lets see how well these work.

What is everyones thaught on the matter? upgrade to a 4 or hold off and get a 5?

Expanded Alert Tones -as many as 12 programmable tones, including new musical options, are available to communicate specific alerts.

great. Are they going to have Jamster commercials for our pagers now? #-o

I have had M2,3 & 2 4's M2 is far and away the best of the lot....In my opinion

Wow so I can get the new 50 cent on my pager.......oh boy ](*,)

they also states that the pager is narrowband capable on v/uhf, whitch is a plus seeing that the fcc is only giving out narrowband freq's these days.

but the minni 2's were still the best pagers

They claim to have fixed the reception problem as well as address some other issues from the 3/4 line. One thing I noticed that was really a good upgrade-If I read it right you can have the unit (if so programmed) scan both freq's in silent mode and trip for tones on either. That would help "dual" members that have different disp freq's (as long as they are in the same band)

I would still rather have a 2 but since they are not made anymore--I would go with the 5

It just seems like Motorola keeps coming out with new Minitor pagers, but they just have different problems than the last ones. I have had the 1, 2, 3 & 4 Minitors & as stated, the II was probably the best they ever came out with. Thankfully i only had a M1 for a short time when i got in the department. They were horrible; bad reception & not to mention you needed a heavy-duty belt just to hold that bad boy up on your waist lol! Made a hell of a wheel chock lol. The II's were great, had one for the FD & still have one for my VAC & its the best. It has good reception & is durable as all hell. The III's sucked. I had one for my VAC...that lasted about a week, until i got my II back :D . I have a IV now (officers are issued them in my dept.). They're hit or miss. The reception can be great at times. I'm in Buchanan & i can pick up Port Chester & other southern depts. great, as well as depts. in the Northern County (Vista, S. Salem, etc.). The voice recorder feature is kind of useless if you ask me. As stated, it records for 30 seconds or so & it will record EVERYTHING in that 30 seconds lol. If you leave you're pager at home or in your car or whatever, you can come back and easily see if you have missed a call. A red light stays lit on the top of the pager & the pager will beep every few seconds until you push the recorder button or turn the pager off. This can come in handy i guess, but thats if it works. We have had quite a few problems with the M4's since we have got them, hopefully the 5's will be more promising!

I used to be all for the Min2's, but I've had my current 4 now for about 4 months - since Croton changed tones - and it is great. I have had no problems at all, except one minor issue that the vibrator function wasn't programmed in, but that's minor and can be fixed in a matter of minutes.

As far as the musical tones...WHY? I don't want to confuse my phone and my pager!

As far as the musical tones...WHY? I don't want to confuse my phone and my pager!

But your Phone allready sounds like your pager going off!!!

Only when I get a call from one of the firehouses!

(I have a ring tone that is a pager going off)

where did you get that ring tone

That, my friend, is a secret - PM me if interersted.

know what a minitor 5 is?

its a minitor 4 that works!!!!

lol

#-o at has yet to be seen!!!!! #-o :-k

Hey 648...it figures that you'd be upset that the "vibrator" feature on your M4 wasn't working! LOL, just kidding Art. The silent alert is definately a good feature to have. Its good for two things; when you're in a quiet environment (work-place, church, place of business, etc.) or in a noisy environment where the audible feature may not be loud enough to hear. I work for the DPW & i didn't hear my pager go off at work today...thank god for the I-Page text messages on my Nextel :D =D> .

now all we need is for motorola to merge the nextels and minitors into 1 device so we dont have to carry so much crap arround.