Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Apparatus Operator: Should It Be A Promotion?

5 posts in this topic

In more and more areas across the country, it seems to be that the apparatus operator is a promotional position from firefighter.

I think that it absolutely should be a promotion. The apparatus operator has a tremendous responsibilites to both the apparatus, the firefighters, and the public, and not everyone's up to the task. The operator is also tasked with basic maintainence and upkeep of the apparatus.

I also think, from an educational perspective, this would allow firefighters to train more as firefighters.

I know someone will knock this down as budget imposssible, but to the taxpayers....you need someone to drive the fire trucks, right?

You definately bring up great points and I know many departments do have either a rank or a stipend for the vehicle operators. But I think it's a good thing for all firefighters to do. I think it aids in their development as firefighters and eventually as bosses. Is it too much to ask our firefighters to learn to operate either the engine or ladder that they're assigned to? In our department the new firefighters gradually learn this and then take turns as vehicle operator.

Should the vehicle operators get paid more than the firefighters going inside the buildings taking much greater risk?

Every Fire Dept. I've ever been with was this way. You started out as a Probie, then became a FF, then a Engineer (Apparatus Operator), then LT, and so on. Most depts. around here you don't drive if you're not assigned to do so, and you have to test to do so. It is a promotion. There's also FF's who are trained as back-up, to fill in if the Engineer is off, or if the Engineer is filling in for the Officer who may be off. When I Volunteered it was the same way. If I got to the station first, I had to wait until someone who was licensed to drive showed up. Yes, we had Engineers.

I was on the assumption it already exists? As task force 7 stated prior to me, the position of "Engineer" has been around in different departments. I know a few volunteer departments near me that are thinking of including this in their list of line officers or have it plan out like they do the safety officer or training officer and just appoint one monthly/annually and make it competitive.

It is a great idea, everyone should be proficient in the truck you ride on, everyone should be able to at least start the pump, or raise the ladder. Good points.

A sore subject for me today. I'll say that apparatus operators definitely need more training and experience but to call it a promotion is wrong. The FF they carry by far do a more dangerous job and to call the driver more important and promote them is a bad idea.

Volunteers should be required to train and demonstrate proficiency to the commercial driver standard (even if they're not licensed as such). Taking Johnny out for a spin or two and then calling him a driver is B A D, bad!