Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EXrider1044

100 Foot Single Axle Aerial

11 posts in this topic

My department is currently kicking around replacing our 1981 Mack aerial, one of the few of its kind left in the area, due to the fact that it is configured as a 100 foot aerial on a single axle frame. It's been a more than reliable truck over the past 30 years, but it is starting to show its age in some respects and we are beginning to explore our options.

Does anyone still make a 100 foot aerial on a single axle frame? Due to accessibility issues in some parts of our district, this would most likely be a requirement in the specs that we would put out for a new truck.

I'll be at the show in Harrisburg next week and hope to speak to various dealers about it, but would like to get a jump on it in the meantime. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

I think it is pretty tough to get one but I could be wrong....I believe Seagrave stopped making the Lo-Profile cab, but I remember seeing a 2008 Seagrave Maurader II (not Lo-Profile) rearmount 100ft on a single axle. I think it was to some department in Illinois or Indiana.

You'll have a tough time finding any data about them on factory websites as they are not popular builds these days due to departments loading up rigs to handle multiple functions. Your best bet is to call the factory rep for whomever you are interested in receiving bids from and discuss it with them. You may also want to find someone who has assisted in writing apparatus spec's before to help craft the types of questions you want to ask in order to see if it is indeed possible to build what you want.

The other option that your department has, is to find a relatively modern (1990's and newer) rig that fits your needs and have it freshened or refurbished. Ossining for example just sold L-42 which was a fantastic 100ft single axle E-One.

A few items that you are likely to encounter with new construction of a 100ft single... Tip load and flow will most likely be limited to medium or light duty (500 or 250 tip load) to save on aerial weight... Your cab size may be limited as well to a standard non raised roof 4 door with no extension for seating above 4-6. Your overall GVWR due to braking ability may limit your equipment to basic truck company (not incomplete just the essentials) items... I don't suspect you'll be able to tack on full hydraulic rescue systems, shoring materials, specialty rescue equipment, etc.... Finally I'd pretty much forget it being a quint.

It has been about 10 years since I have contemplated a 100ft single on behalf of a department I was affiliated with so I'm not current on what you can do with ultra modern engineering, but the last set of spec's I laid eyes on were for a 100ft RM Seagrave with a 250lb tip load and traditional truck company equipment, no prepiped waterway, and the spec amount of ground ladders to meet truck company requirements.

I believe Sutphen is making a 100" single axel ladder

Here are some...

Rye L26: 2001 Segrave Lo-Pro 100ft

4751116178_7203f90687_z.jpg

TMFD L19: 1998 Seagrave 100ft.

4750324447_94fa45e6a0_z.jpg

I have seen a Spartan cab with a 100ft Crimson aerial. Metz also makes a 105ft aerial wilth a single rear axle.

Edited by firedude

I believe Sutphen is making a 100" single axel ladder

I do not see any single axle ladders at Sutphen.com longer than 70'. Rosenbauer lists two ladders longer than 100'. The Viper series 60' to 109', and the Raptor series 102', which looks to be the Metz aerial bucket.

Isn't COH talking about a new rig too? Maybe 1 truck could handle the town.