Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Speedy Dry-Absorbent

8 posts in this topic

So, some departments don't do washdowns, or the polictically correct term, fluid spills, anymore, we use absorbent.

Question is, if that material is hazardous and we don't wash it down as to not pollute the enviroment, why do we sweep it to the side of the road? And if some departments take it with them, is it disposed properly? I see a lot of absorbent hoppers on Engines and Rescues nowadays, but no buckets for collection and removal.

And I know in NY like many states thw wrecker driver is responsible for automotive situations.

So, some departments don't do washdowns, or the polictically correct term, fluid spills, anymore, we use absorbent.

Question is, if that material is hazardous and we don't wash it down as to not pollute the enviroment, why do we sweep it to the side of the road? And if some departments take it with them, is it disposed properly? I see a lot of absorbent hoppers on Engines and Rescues nowadays, but no buckets for collection and removal.

And I know in NY like many states thw wrecker driver is responsible for automotive situations.

In Pleasantville we typically sweep it to the side of the road.

In Potsdam we collect it (and debris from the car) and put it into garbage bags which the tow truck driver then takes with him and exposes of properly at his shop.

My department uses speedy dry most (all) of the time. We do have something called "petrotech". I have yet to see it used (after having it on the rescue for about 9 years) and dont know how well it works. It supposedly breaks down the methelethel bad stuff in petrolium based products and make it "safe" to wash down the drain... Anyone ever seen/heard of this product being used?

"NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law

§ 1219. Putting glass or other injurious substances on highway prohibited. A.) No person shall throw or deposit upon any highway any glass bottle, glass, nails, tacks, wire, cans, snow or any other substance likely to injure any person, animal, or vehicle upon such highway.

B.) Any person who drops, or permits to be dropped or thrown, upon any highway any destructive or injurious material or any material which interferes with the safe use of the highway shall immediately remove the same or cause it to be removed.

C.) Any person removing a wrecked or damaged vehicle from a highway shall remove any glass or other injurious substance dropped upon the highway from such vehicle."

It is not always the responsiblity of the tow truck operator. If you drive your car away it is your responsibility to clean up after your accident.

Edited by dougeng41

We usually use 'Speedy Dry" or the Pads.

We put them all in a Garbage bag, and put it inside the car, or on the Bed of the tow truck. And the driver disposes of the materials properly.

We usually use 'Speedy Dry" or the Pads.

We put them all in a Garbage bag, and put it inside the car, or on the Bed of the tow truck. And the driver disposes of the materials properly.

I think the last sentence should read " And the driver is supposed to dispose of the materials properly".

I think the last sentence should read " And the driver is supposed to dispose of the materials properly".

Sorry to correct your correction but I thinks it's "the driver might dispose of the materials properly".

My department uses speedy dry most (all) of the time. We do have something called "petrotech". I have yet to see it used (after having it on the rescue for about 9 years) and dont know how well it works. It supposedly breaks down the methelethel bad stuff in petrolium based products and make it "safe" to wash down the drain... Anyone ever seen/heard of this product being used?

In my previous department, they use(d) Bio-Solve for petroleum spills:

http://www.biosolve.com/applications/spillresponse

Additional benefits of BioSolve used in emergency spill response:

-Solubilizes hydrocarbons into an aqueous solution that can be readily vacuumed up or absorbed, leaving minimal or no residual in the spill area

-Eliminates hazardous oil sheen on the roadway

-Will arrest asphalt deterioration from fuel spills.

-Promotes accelerated biodegradation of any unrecovered emulsion that may be washed into drainage areas

-Should effluent enter drain system, no adverse impact on downstream wastewater treatment operations

-Non-foaming