Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ridge Hill (Yonkers) Coverage

17 posts in this topic

With the Ridge Hill development begining to open, are there any plans to add police, fire, or EMS services to the area?

Maybe it's just me, but all inbound fire companies would be coming from fairly remote areas.

Part of the original agreement from the developer was to "assist" in the establishment of an New Fire Company within the Yonkers Fire Department to assist in covering the New Ridge Hill Development. Not getting a 100% committment from the developer meant that the City of Yonkers would have to come up with some of the funding/cost for this. As many people know, given all of the financial issues surrounding the city over the past several years, coming up with the matching funding for this has been a slow process. I have heard that some property along the King Fence Propery in Yonkers, is being considered for construction of a New Fire House (New Station 10?) to help assist in covering the New Ridge Hill Development (Original plan called for a New Fire Company [New Ladder Company 77 ?] for Ridge Hill, so maybe with a New House it may house both an Engine Company (310) and Ladder Company (77) but no one really knows at this time)

Bee-Line bus service to Ridge Hill starts on May 31st.

Given the fiscal reality in Yonkers, I doubt they're going to fund new companies even though they are sorely needed. Even with all the growth and development along the Central Park Avenue corridor during the past 25 years they haven't added any new stations or upgraded companies (with the exception of converting Engine 311 to Squad 11) so I doubt the city will suddenly start doing the right thing now.

On the police side this is going to make the first precinct a lot busier but I doubt they'll get any more bodies either.

As long as the city has a strangle hold on the budget and keeps playing politics with the emergency services and their budgets nothing will change.

I just don't understand why cities let the developers build without having the infastructure to support the development in place already.

I just don't understand why cities let the developers build without having the infastructure to support the development in place already.

$$$$$

Not my area of expertise, but I did read somewhere that for every dollar of taxes a development adds to the tax base, it consumes $1.40 or so in service costs. Makes sense- 10 acres of woods pays a tiny amount of taxes, but requires NO services. 10 acres of stores and housing kicks in a lot of taxes, but demands a TON of PD, FD, water, sewer, sewage, signage, paving plowing etc. Not to mention, I would be certain that Yonkers gave this place a large tax break, so unlikely that there will be any real tax money production soon. But hey, the world needs more chain stores, movies and acres of paved lots.

Not my area of expertise, but I did read somewhere that for every dollar of taxes a development adds to the tax base, it consumes $1.40 or so in service costs. Makes sense- 10 acres of woods pays a tiny amount of taxes, but requires NO services. 10 acres of stores and housing kicks in a lot of taxes, but demands a TON of PD, FD, water, sewer, sewage, signage, paving plowing etc. Not to mention, I would be certain that Yonkers gave this place a large tax break, so unlikely that there will be any real tax money production soon. But hey, the world needs more chain stores, movies and acres of paved lots.

Ask Amicone and Sandy Annabi

It's so much different down here. The city or developer has to develop the infastructure (roads, fire hydrants, police cars, fire stations, ambulances, sewers, water lines, etc) before anything is built.

How long is it going to take an YPD unit to get backup if they need it? How long is it going to take Yonkers Fire to get there for the first alarm, and for second and above alarms? With the distance away, will this cost response times in other areas of the city while these units are at RH? There's sure to be a ton of automatic fire alarms as the kinks get worked out. And EMS- it's going to add to Empress's burden. Some Greenburgh districts are much closer to this development then Yonkers units, but they should stay out since they are not going to see any financial benefit, only increased trafic.

These communities don't think things out. White Plains is about to sell a $60 million dollar property to a school-of which they will see no needed tax benefit ever. Greenburgh wants to use the Frank's nursery property for town use. I think it's the prefect location for a new police station, EMS/Spec Ops facilty, and courthouse, but that's another taxable property off the roles in Fairview, where I believe 50% of the district is no-taxable, which is why they are sitting in obsolete, outdated firehouses. New Rochelle allowed these developments, but I know nothing about how those are funded.

These guys are going to make millions of dollars off these development, and it's being paid for by the taxpayers! There's no guarentee there is going to be shot into the economy, therefore departments need to demand that these developments pay for infastructure costs before they get tax breaks. They would have built on that land anyway without tax breaks anyway, just another shady way to make money.

Prior to the Ridge Hill development, what YFD companies were assigned to cover that area? What companies are currently assigned to cover the houses behind ridgehill..?

I am assuming mutual aid, to Yonkers, plans would have to change.

Prior to the Ridge Hill development, what YFD companies were assigned to cover that area? What companies are currently assigned to cover the houses behind ridgehill..?

I am assuming mutual aid, to Yonkers, plans would have to change.

I'm just guessing but there'd be E310, SQ11, E312, E314 and L70, L75 as a first due depending on exactly where the job was in that area.

Mutual aid probably won't have to change that much as Yonkers doesn't use it as often as many jobs in the county.

In Texas you don't have the population density you have here, so the developers have more choice as to where they're going to put their newest project. That comes down to who gives them the sweetest deal. NYC is able to demand things like schools, fire stations, and other infrastructure be built in but Yonkers doesn't have that same pull when they have to compete with the rest of southern westchester and north jersey for the NYC commuter crowd. White Plains had gotten infrastructure included in one of their pre bubble projects but eventually the cost became prohibitive and the developer walked away. Not only are these developments adding to the strain on the system, but they are frequently granted substantial tax breaks.

The community is always left counting on the outward ripple of economic stimulation to eventually fill the gap. More income tax, more sales tax, more jobs, and eventually more businesses.

As you can read in Seth's attachment, YFD Local 628 proposed back in 2008, in relationship to BOTH the Ridge Hill Project as well as the Downtown Development, that the city add 3 additional Engine Companies and 2 Ladder Companies, to adequately protect the city. This would, accordingly the report, place a New Engine Company at Station 1 (Engine 301 ?), a New Ladder Company at Station 10 (which obviously means that a New Station 10 would have to be built to accomodate 2 bays, 1 for Engine 310 and 1 for the New Ladder Company [Ladder 76 ?]. They are also proposing that a New Ladder Company be placed at Station 3 [Ladder 77 ?], as well as an Additional New Engine Company at Station 11 (Engine 302 ?).

Given all of this, if it would ever (and we all know that MONEY and POLITICS are the ONLY factors involved) happen, and seeing that with the New Downtown Development calls for a New 6 Bay Firestation (If Station 11 gets the additional Engine Company, this would require the relocation of the Collapse Rig). So, I would figure that the New Fire Headquarters (Station 1) would house Ladder 71, Engine 301, Safety Battalion, Rescue 1, and the Collapse Rig (of course Chief Fitz would be the one who decides what apparatus are placed where)

therefore departments need to demand that these developments pay for infastructure costs before they get tax breaks.

The law does not allow for us to demand (only inform).

All developers (even for very small projects) are required to produce a draft environmental impact statement (DEIS) which must cover all impacts, including the impacts on public safety. The FD and other agencies are suppose to add there comments. Then after a public hearing or hearings a final environmental impact statement is produced and the lead agency (usually city council or other appointed body like an IDA) must determine if the project has a negative impact and how it should be addressed. The impact can be on a municipal service or a reduction of service to existing properties. But if they say no impact or minimal impact the FD must live with it.

The law does not allow for us to demand (only inform).

All developers (even for very small projects) are required to produce a draft environmental impact statement (DEIS) which must cover all impacts, including the impacts on public safety. The FD and other agencies are suppose to add there comments. Then after a public hearing or hearings a final environmental impact statement is produced and the lead agency (usually city council or other appointed body like an IDA) must determine if the project has a negative impact and how it should be addressed. The impact can be on a municipal service or a reduction of service to existing properties. But if they say no impact or minimal impact the FD must live with it.

If an impact to public safety is found what is the remedy?

If an impact to public safety is found what is the remedy?

The remedy is to either fix the impact (additional services, which could include auto aid, or adding personnel, equipment, stations, etc.) or accept the additional liability/reduction in service.