Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Yonkers: New engine company proposed for Ridge Hill site

5 posts in this topic

Two councilmembers speaking last night at a community meeting said the soon to be released Final Environmental Impact Studay for the Ridge Hill development will contain a new engine company staffed by 25 firefighters and an additional one man poilce car will be added to the First precinct which encompasses Ridge Hill. Unknown whether or not another patrol sector will be added or the exisitng fourwithinthe precinct will be realligned. Maybe Truck 4 knows the answer ???? The City Council will soon vote to accept the F.E.I.S. which does not mean the project has been approved.

P.S.--The Draft DEIS appears on cityofyonkers.com in the Doing business in Yonkers section. The fire and police section is III, Page K-13. Very, very interesting manpower and staffing stuff discussed.

Somebody please cut and paste.

Don't miss.

If I read the Ridge Hill Proposal Correctly, it appears as if the proposal is calling for the Construction of a New Station 10, which would be placed up at the New Ridge Hill Site. Again, if I am reading this correctly, it would house the Current Engine 310 as well as a New Ladder Company (? Ladder 76?) as a 2 rig station, covering not only the existing Station 10 Coverage Area but Ridge Hill as well. If anyone has any other information on this that they could share, it would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: The exisitng Staion 10 on Tuckahoe Road is I believe, landmarked, so if closed it cannot be demolished. This would make for a better YFD Museum than the Warburton Avenue location. Though the parking is lousy.

I recall a few years back an indepedent contractor did a study on the YFD. One of the recommendations that they made was that 10 Engine should be relocated further north on the Saw Mill River Rd area.

Appearantly they believe that the north/west end of the city was lacking protection. I was surprised to hear of the Ridge Hill Bunker as a site. There is pretty far north and there is not much up there beside the home depot/costco and Stu Leonards