Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PFDRes47cue

Interesting Technical Rescue

14 posts in this topic

Today the FDNY had a "technical rescue" call at box 372. The call was for a female child who was stuck in a swing at a park. I think that is one of the best I have ever hear!

Anyone have any other good ones to share?

We get assigned that job on a weekly basis... It's usually a chubby kid who tries sitting in an infant swing and gets their leg stuck in the hole.

I'm surprised that the parents don't try to sue the city, for defective swings...

Today the FDNY had a "technical rescue" call at box 372. The call was for a female child who was stuck in a swing at a park. I think that is one of the best I have ever hear!

Like mentioned above, that seems to happen with a regular frequency down in the big city.

By far and away this is one of the most difficult rescues that I have ever read about. There is a narrative that I cant find right now that really highlights the challenges of a rescue of this nature.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jun/05/cave-rescue-workers-save-one-their-own/

adults stuck in swings, kids stuck in vending machines, people stuck in wrought iron fences, etc.. These are all common especially in the summer.

Just last week, 2 times, a child with his finger stuck in a seatbelt.....just can't make it up!

A few years back when I was working for a local hospital I got called to the Emergency Room to help cut a seat buckle off a kids finger. The finger was through the seat buckle hole and had swelled up so much the ER couldn't slide it off. I had to used a Dremel tool to cut it off.

This is actually a fairly common response for FDNY. Here's one from the Bronx (late 90's - early 2000). The Firefighter interviewed at the end of the rescue was a member of Rescue 3, not 75 Engine.

My link

For the thicker kids getting stuck in the infant swings use a plumbers pipe cutting cable. It easly fits in between the child's leg and the swing. Since the cable is not abrasive it does not hurt the child or create loud noises that may spoke them. This item can be found at any hardware store

This Plumbers pipe cuting tool that you speak of I'm drawing a blank as to what that looks like? Does anybody have a picture of one?.

This Plumbers pipe cuting tool that you speak of I'm drawing a blank as to what that looks like? Does anybody have a picture of one?.

Just google PVC Pipe Cable Saw