Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abaduck

Trooper vs. Paramedic: update

13 posts in this topic

Folks will remember the case a couple of years ago where a trooper pulled over & assaulted a paramedic who was transporting a patient, apparently in retaliation for a perceived earlier failure to yield (to give ONE interpretation of events).

The original thread:

has been locked, but I felt folks might like an update: the court case is continuing, and the latest is that the trooper has lost an appeal court ruling; they were told they couldn't use LEO qualified immunity as a shield for their actions:

http://newsok.com/feed/appellate-court-rules-trooper-excessive-force-lawsuit-should-move-forward/article/3575596?custom_click=pod_headline_news

Mike

While I do agree that the Trooper was over the line in his actions, did you post this because you "bet folks might like an update" or because this is another opportunity for you to continue your anti-police agenda?

Edited by JJB531
eric12401, INIT915 and Just a guy like this

Luckily the patient didnt need to get to the hospital quickly. They had the time to act like children. Ridiculous.

While I do agree that the Trooper was over the line in his actions, did you post this because you "bet folks might like an update" or because this is another opportunity for you to continue your anti-police agenda?

I for one appreciated the update on a famous case in the emergency services that was well publicized... and I don't have an anti-police agenda??

SRS131EMTFF likes this

I for one appreciated the update on a famous case in the emergency services that was well publicized...

Seconded, and regardless of ones opinion or agenda it highlights the needs and challenges that exist when we work together.

Cases like this as well as the Trooper vs. Fire Chief in LI and the PO vs Captain in Hazelwood that provide examples on how somes ego on both sides get in the way of what is best for the person who called 911 and the people who respond to assist them.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

I for one appreciated the update on a famous case in the emergency services that was well publicized... and I don't have an anti-police agenda??

Yes, quite the "famous" case... and I'm happy that you appreciated the update, but just because you were happy with the update doesn't justify the initial posters intentions when posting it. Unfortunately, the majority of the initial posters comments on here in regards to law enforcement are more often then not in a negative tone, and he has, on numerous occasions, played the "I know my rights" game, even when discussing topics of blatent officer safety.

Just a guy likes this

Yes, quite the "famous" case... and I'm happy that you appreciated the update, but just because you were happy with the update doesn't justify the initial posters intentions when posting it. Unfortunately, the majority of the initial posters comments on here in regards to law enforcement are more often then not in a negative tone, and he has, on numerous occasions, played the "I know my rights" game, even when discussing topics of blatent officer safety.

I dont think you can fairly judge what his intentions are, this seemed like a relatively harmless post. On the other hand your statements were right off the bat argumentative and attacking. We should be looking at incidents like this and having a healthy albeit heated discussion in the aims of preventing similar situations from developing in the field. It shouldn't be about placing blame and who is right or wrong but how we can improve. That is one of the great things about this website, it allows the different sectors in the emergency services come together and talk about issues and open communication. Of course officer safety should be an important topic to you as is FF and EMS safety is to me, I respect that you are passionate about it.

abaduck, Danger and SRS131EMTFF like this

Yes we should have a healthy discussion about incidents. In regards to this incident, that discussion has already taken place in a previous thread, and I think everyone, including myself, agreed that the Trooper was out of line. To me, I take this thread as another "thumbing my nose at members of the law enforcement community", since the overwhelming majority of the posts by the initial poster regarding law enforcement matters consistently have an anti-law enforcement tone to them, hence the "argumentative and attacking" nature of my post. If my initial post was too abrasive or straight-forward for some members here, then I apologize, but I still stand by what I wrote.

abaduck may be very liberal, but he has never been anti-police. He usually goes to great lengths to point out he's not against police, he just questions the powers given to them. We NEED people to question. Question changes, question the status quo, question everything. He's not one of these whiney children bitching incessantly. He asks questions, makes points, sometimes changes his stance, and other times doesn't. Without debate, what's the point?

Danger likes this

abaduck may be very liberal, but he has never been anti-police. He usually goes to great lengths to point out he's not against police, he just questions the powers given to them. We NEED people to question. Question changes, question the status quo, question everything. He's not one of these whiney children bitching incessantly. He asks questions, makes points, sometimes changes his stance, and other times doesn't. Without debate, what's the point?

Fair enough, I can respect that, but maybe there is a more suitable forum to "liberally" question the practices of law enforcement instead of a board that is supposed to be pro-emergency services. It's one thing to ask why we do certain things a certain way, it's another to make judgements and then every police officer here has to defend the actions of our brothers.

Just a guy and 25truck26 like this

abaduck - Mike Ross, he doesn't hide is name, is, for the record, a registered Republican, more libertarian than anything else. Certainly not a liberal. He didn't respond earlier because he's spent the day at the FTC doing rescue tech, and joined in the good-natured banter involving one of the other students, an LEO.

He's so anti-police that he was in the in the middle of joining the police, as a volunteer cop in the UK, before that was cut short by our moving to the USA. He's given serious thought to joining the volunteer PSEF here in Westchester, but has back-burnered that due to too many other commitments.

Yes, sometimes I debate - I have questions and opinions about police actions on occasions. About the only time I think I could be said to have been out of line was the recent thread on the Philly open carry guy, and enough LEOs here told me how and why I was wrong I manned up, said OK I was wrong, and apologised.

All I wanted to do was update people on what was happening; a lot of people discussed this case, and a story on the latest developments caught my eye. I often end up reading something and someplace down the line it's 'I wonder what happened about X? How did that play out?'

That's all there was to it. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and JJB531, I respectfully think you're out of line here.

Mike

I appreciated the update. I had wondered what was going on with that case.

I like the Po Po, they have saved me a few times.

Oh, and I have been accused of being a liberal. Doesn't make me anti-cop.

Please try to play nice. I hate seeing the folks who work so hard to do the right thing fighting on these pages. I guess that's pretty liberal.

The trooper was temp insane and so far out of line that the line was a dot to him. That said, Abaduck is right with most of his opinions. Concurrently, the offended officer was also justified in feeling defensive and annoyed because abaduck often stirs the pot one too many times. Call a truce and move on.