Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest fire84

Newark, NJ FD?

13 posts in this topic

someone can tell me if the Newark Fire Department is paid fire dept?

someone can tell me if the Newark Fire Department is paid fire dept?

Newark, NJ Fire Department(NFD) -

Population Served: 277,140

Area Served: 23.8 Sq. Mi.'s

Approx. 700 Paid Members

17 Fire Stations

17 Engines

9 Trucks

1 Rescue

4 Battalions

1 Deputy

Approx. 50,000 Emergency Calls Annually(W/Little to no EMS)

The NFD is a large urban fire department that serves the largest city in New Jersey and is one of the busiest departments, if not the busiest in the state. It is a fully paid fire department and sees it's share of jobs. I'm not sure if all the member and station/apparatus roster above is competely correct, as the department has been facing many financial cutbacks and layoffs, as many other fire departments in the state. As R1SmokeEater said, with no real EMS work, as it's picked up by UMDNJ(University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey) EMS. Here are some links below:

Official Website

Historical Website(Lots of info, i.e., radio codes, alarm boxes, recent jobs, history, etc.)

eric12401 likes this

thanks sfrd18,Anesti,R1SmokeEater,R1SmokeEater,houlidsa

I ask this because i live in portugal, and i'm going to change to newark, and i want to do the same thing i do in portugal, i'm a firefighter in my coutry and i like be professional firefighter in newark.

I know I have to be U.S. citizen and I've been treating my citizenship.

thanks sfrd18,Anesti,R1SmokeEater,R1SmokeEater,houlidsa

I ask this because i live in portugal, and i'm going to change to newark, and i want to do the same thing i do in portugal, i'm a firefighter in my coutry and i like be professional firefighter in newark.

I know I have to be U.S. citizen and I've been treating my citizenship.

From some of the Fd members there might be a test in a year or 2.

There are several career FD around Newark. All basically undergo the same hiring process (NJ Civil Service). Almost everyone of them will require residency in their town. The follow department are all career, try....

Elizabeth Fire Department

Union Fire Department

Linden Fire Department

Rahway Fire Department

Harrison Fire Department

Jersey City Fire Department

Bayonne Fire Department

North Hudson Regional Fire Department

East Orange Fire Department

South Orange Fire Department

West Ornage Fire Department

Irvington Fire Department

Kearney Fire Department

Passiac Fire Department

Paterson Fire Department

Hackensack Fire Department

New Brunswick Fire Department

Edison Fire Department

Plainfield Fire Division

Perth Amboy Fire Department

All these deppartments are within a 30-40 minute drive from Newark. Plus there are dozens if not hundreds in the same area that are volunteer. if you want to keep in practice. it might take two years or longer to get on a career department.

the NJMedic is suggesting I go to a volunteer fire department to gain

experience and then two years after entering the fire dept newark or other paid fire dept ?

Being a volunteer firefighter won't buy you any points getting into a career department, with very few exceptions. What it will do is keep your hand in the game and introduce you to firefighting "America" style. In fact once you were to get ona career job I would do everything to downplay your volunteer service. Right or wrong that is how the game is played. Becoming a volunteer in a busy, agressive company and being a professional will lead to other benefits that might help you out in the long run.

My first choice was to go straight to a career fire dept, but I noticed your

advice and I think it is even better because I learn slowly the method of work of

American firefighters, and then with more experience into a career

thanks

NJMedic

My first choice was to go straight to a career fire dept, but I noticed your

advice and I think it is even better because I learn slowly the method of work of

American firefighters, and then with more experience into a career

thanks

NJMedic

I agree with this idea. Not only will you get some experience in an American fire department, but also, many volunteer fire departments in the Newark/Jersey City area are pretty busy and many have very mixed and unique response areas with a lot to learn from. Good luck!

"Fire84", The truth is that you just can't walk into any career fire dept job today. There is alot of competetion to get on this job, Anywhere, whether Newark or anyplace else. There are many test you have to go through and score very high on. Usually a written, oral, physical agility, and a medical. U.S. military veterens are usually given extra points on the final score. Many today are also college graduates that get on the job.

I certainly don't want to discourage you, but its not easy. I took Six test before I got on a career dept. And it was some small city that I actually had no idea where it was in Connecticut. I started taking those test when I was 18 yrs old and didn't get the job until I was 26. And now with this poor economy, its probadly alot harder.

Just to give you an example., I took one test with over 2,000 people all to fill just about 40 openings. Of course, I didn't get THAT job. My test I took with 87 and came out number 3. I finally got the job about a year after I took that test.

Good luck there my friend. Certainly if you work very hard at it, you may be one of the lucky ones. I hope so. But just don't count on getting on the job in one place. I didn't get on the dept I hoped for either. But when one dept opens the door for you, you gotta take it and walk in. I'm glad I did.

And Take every test you can.

I understand this problem, because we here in Portugal is also so many dogs are the same bone

Edited by fire84