Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Updated: Croton looks to hire paid EMT for volunteer squad

71 posts in this topic

In a word, yes. If the mid-hudson ems district is providing the coverage, then OVAC owns that district.

In a word, yes. If the mid-hudson ems district is providing the coverage, then OVAC owns that district.

OVAC doesn't own that District. OVAC is a vendor for that District.

It's coming to a point where all volunteer EMS agencies are going to need a paid driver and/or EMT. It's not the fault of the organizations, it's just that volunteers are hard to come by. It hurts as a volunteer to see this happen by the safety of our residents are the most important.

So who won the contract? What will the staffing be? Staffing hours?

So who won the contract? What will the staffing be? Staffing hours?

OVAC 7A-7P M-F

The response policy is gonna have to be setup by the EMS executives and discussed with the fire cheifs, contractor, OVAC tri village ALS, CPD and 60 Control.

1. Have paid emt/driver wait in HQ and tone out.

2. Have paid member respond to scene and tone out. If not covered send M/A or ask ALS to ride it in (if its even an ALS call per EMD)

This is not going to work. I've known other agencies who tried to go cheap & wound up eating the contract amt. You don't get reimbursement (ins. $) unless Y0U transport. The other agencies also thought that they could crew at least one other person. Also how is the paid staffer going to get to the scene, fly car or ambulance. Going alone with the ambulance & then try to explain that you can't transport is a PR disaster waiting to happen. The other agencies I referred to (after paying out the contract amt & not recouping the $) hired another staffer & while they didn't make a lot of extra $ they did cover staff expenses. Someone is not thinking in Croton.

New article in today's Journal News. I assume that "Mid-Hudson EMS" is an new name for OVAC? That's a pretty good wage, I think. I just don't understand why they don't just fund a BLS crew.

The village will pay $16.92 an hour to Mid-Hudson EMS, an affiliate of the paramedic service that provides advanced life support to the village. A technician will be based in Croton from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110717/NEWS02/107170353/Croton-moves-fast-hire-paid-EMT-cites-concern-over-response-times?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Westchester County, New York

New article in today's Journal News. I assume that "Mid-Hudson EMS" is an new name for OVAC? That's a pretty good wage, I think. I just don't understand why they don't just fund a BLS crew.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20110717/NEWS02/107170353/Croton-moves-fast-hire-paid-EMT-cites-concern-over-response-times?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Westchester County, New York

It's not the new name for OVAC. Mid-Hudson is the legal name for the tax district created for the residents of the Ossining school district. The district currently contracts with OVAC to provide EMS coverage.

My next question is, why doesn't Ossining ans Croton just merge into one district, for better operational efficiency?

My next question is, why doesn't Ossining ans Croton just merge into one district, for better operational efficiency?

I do not want to post misinformation, but I believe that there is talk of Croton joining the actual tax district. I believe that the 1 EMT that's starting in Croton on Monday is a temporary fix until further options can be explored about a more permanent solution to the problems Croton is experiencing with their EMS system. I would assume that placing 1 EMT in Croton will be a starting point to see exactly what resources Croton needs to function efficiently as an EMS system. I'm guessing the system will be monitored over a period of time and the politicians and EMS community will make any revisions needed down the road when they finalize their system with whatever manpower and resources they require.