Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

New camera technology promises to change photography as we know it....

8 posts in this topic

Interesting. If this technology proves the hype, I wonder how long it will be so it's affordable for the average consumer?

I agree. This does a better job of explaining it:

It's interesting technically, but useless chrome when it comes to practical photography.

If you want to see a revolutionary (in the literal sense of the word) camera company in action, visit http://www.red.com

Mike

I think short term photography is going to be going the way of digital video while being able to pull stills off of it but I don't see this technology hitting the consumer market anytime soon.

Apparently the problem with this technology is that you capture so much data but will only use a small portion of it in your final image. The rest will be basically thrown away..... The resulting image will only be a few mega-pixels...... That's the deal breaker for me and many others...... I can see this possibly having a value for security cameras but for what I do, I'll stick with focusing on what I want to highlight in my images and using depth of field for depth or isolation.....

The RED - I have been watching RED from it's inception...... It's good stuff and I particularly like the modular construction..... But the guy who is behind RED (Too lazy to look up his name - He made his money with Oakley Sunglasses) Has been toting a lot of vaporware lately...... Like the video camera which would kill off DSLR's (Which I may have posted about here) Where is it? I am definitely in for one of these......

Here is a really neat new camera technology...... Check out the videos and make sure you watch both parts one and two.......

I agree. This does a better job of explaining it:

It's interesting technically, but useless chrome when it comes to practical photography.

If you want to see a revolutionary (in the literal sense of the word) camera company in action, visit http://www.red.com

Mike

Edited by Photounit

The RED - I have been watching RED from it's inception...... It's good stuff and I particularly like the modular construction..... But the guy who is behind RED (Too lazy to look up his name - He made his money with Oakley Sunglasses) Has been toting a lot of vaporware lately...... Like the video camera which would kill off DSLR's (Which I may have posted about here) Where is it? I am definitely in for one of these......

Jim Jannard. The guy is a billionaire, he owns islands in Canada and Fiji, he doesn't *need* to punt vapourware.

The camera you're talking about is the EPIC:

Epic_m_brain.png?1302542954

Totally not vapourware. Pre-production versions have been circulating for a year or so, been used to shoot many big Hollywood movies - The Social Network, Pirates of the Caribbean, Contagion, the new Spiderman, The Hobbit... and you or I can buy one today:

http://www.red.com/s.../product/epic-m

Price will be dropping when it's in full production later this year. If it's still too rich, there will be a lower-spec version (same resolution but lower frame rates) for around $13,000 (guesstimate) for a body - the EPIC-S. If that's still too rich, there's a 3K version of the camera coming (called Scarlet), again later this year or early next, with a built-in 25-225mm (equivalent) zoom, for $7,500. All shoot raw files.

I own a RED ONE, will be upgrading to EPIC later this year :-)

The concept by the way is 'DSMC' - Digital Stills & Motion Picture camera. RED ONE is a big old beast, EPIC is small enough to handhold and at 15 megapixels or so, is competitive with high-end DSLRs. The difference is EPIC can shoot 15MP... at 120 frames per second!!!

Mike

Edited by abaduck