Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Hackensack EMS?

15 posts in this topic

I know there was some turmoil a while back, but how is EMS is the City Of Hackensack currently delivered?

I know there was some turmoil a while back, but how is EMS is the City Of Hackensack currently delivered?

http://www.humc.com/mobileicu/what.shtml

Hackensack University Medical Center - Mobile Intensive Care Unit

They are currently posting for a Director:

http://www.humccareers.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=2499544&User_ID=

Edited by INIT915

What I remember, from when I photographer in Hackensack with Mike Martinelli's help, the FD has a bus that covered during the day, and there was a Hackensack VAC that covered at night. HUMC provided the ALS. But, then the waters stirred and Hackensack formed a division with ambulances that wanted to take over EMS in the entire city, but they were embroiled in a legal battle. Every website I read is outdated or not clear on the subject.

This is the most current info I could find:

Hackensack FD website:

Two Fire Department ambulances are on duty Monday thru Friday from 6am to 6pm. They are staffed with Career personnel who are New Jersey Certified Emergency Medical Technicians and respond to any medical emergency should the situation occur. Trained to the level of EMT-D (defibrillation), these dedicated EMT’s will provide the latest in emergency medical assistance.

Hackensack FD Ambulance:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-1418.html

Hackensack VAC website:

Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc., dispatched as Squad 1060, is licensed as a BLS provider by the New Jersey Department of Health Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS). The Corps provides Emergency Medical Services to the City of Hackensack and nearby Bergen County NJ towns 24 hours a day. All riding members are certified NJ EMTs or paramedics. The Corps is a not-for-profit organization, and all acquired funds are used to cover our day-to-day operational expenses, which include vehicle maintenance, medical supplies, uniforms, etc. The Corps is lead by a Chief, Deputy Chief, and team of line officers.

http://www.hackensackvac.org/

And Hackensack VAC's Ambulance 194 looks exactly like Hackensack FD's but with a new paint job.

Here's the deal

The Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corp covers the City at night and on the weekends. For years the Hackensack Fire Department provided EMS coverage during the day. The HFD were one of the first paramedic providers back in the 1970's. Paramedic response was eventually transfered to the Hackensack University Medical Center in the early '80's. About 5 years ago HUMC contracted with Vanguard (http://www.vanguardhealthcare.com )to operated ambulances on behalf of the hopsital in the same fashion that private companies are contracted to provide EMS to the voluntary hospitals in NYC. Their ambulances, thier uniforms all reflected HUMC but EMTs are hired by Vanguard. In 1998 the City decided after much debate the City of Hackensack gave EMS to the Hospital. The story was the Hospital needed a variance to build an addition to the hospital and in the world that is government in NJ one hand washed another and lo and behold the hospital got the variance after they picked up the cost and responsibility for providing EMS. I really don't know what day to day to day operations are like but that is the general background.

And Hackensack VAC's Ambulance 194 looks exactly like Hackensack FD's but with a new paint job.

The units do look very similar however they don't have the same mirrors. The VAC unit has Ford OEM type mirrors and the FD unit has an aftermarket mirror assembly.

The units do look very similar however they don't have the same mirrors. The VAC unit has Ford OEM type mirrors and the FD unit has an aftermarket mirror assembly.

Correct the VAC Has the ex FD unit painted in their livery very nice

HUMC covers EMS 7 days a week 6a-6p... Hackensack Vol Amb covers 7 nights a week 6p-6a... HFD still maintains a 1st responder program, however the HFD EMS division was disband in 2008 and the civilian EMTs were laid off... Vol Amb 194 is the old HFD Ambo 317...

Here's the deal

The Hackensack Volunteer Ambulance Corp covers the City at night and on the weekends. For years the Hackensack Fire Department provided EMS coverage during the day. The HFD were one of the first paramedic providers back in the 1970's. Paramedic response was eventually transfered to the Hackensack University Medical Center in the early '80's. About 5 years ago HUMC contracted with Vanguard (http://www.vanguardhealthcare.com )to operated ambulances on behalf of the hopsital in the same fashion that private companies are contracted to provide EMS to the voluntary hospitals in NYC. Their ambulances, thier uniforms all reflected HUMC but EMTs are hired by Vanguard. In 1998 the City decided after much debate the City of Hackensack gave EMS to the Hospital. The story was the Hospital needed a variance to build an addition to the hospital and in the world that is government in NJ one hand washed another and lo and behold the hospital got the variance after they picked up the cost and responsibility for providing EMS. I really don't know what day to day to day operations are like but that is the general background.

So, BLS EMS transports are done by Vanguard M-F 6x6, and HVAC on weekends and at night. But all ALS is from the MICU through an ALS QRV system?

Is that right?

So, BLS EMS transports are done by Vanguard M-F 6x6, and HVAC on weekends and at night. But all ALS is from the MICU through an ALS QRV system?

Is that right?

Yes

HUMC covers EMS 7 days a week 6a-6p... Hackensack Vol Amb covers 7 nights a week 6p-6a... HFD still maintains a 1st responder program, however the HFD EMS division was disband in 2008 and the civilian EMTs were laid off... Vol Amb 194 is the old HFD Ambo 317...

It's interesting that the HUMC website states that when one dials 911 to report a medical emergency, "The dispatcher will notify the police and have an ambulance sent to the scene. (Basic Life Support)". If HFD is providing first responder EMS services, why would HUMC completely disregard it?

Doesn't MICCOM dispatch Hackensack (in addition to other EMS agencies) EMS?

Also, were those civilian EMT's offered jobs at HUMC/Vanguard or Hackensack FD? I remember meeting two of the guys and they were super nice and highly skilled.

What a crazy system they have.

MICCOM is a regional center that dispatches multiple agencies, both ALS and BLS... They are also the PSAP for any medical call in Hackensack, the initial 911 is received by HPDand if it is a medical call, it is then transferred to MICCOM to be screened and dispatched. HFD has a MICCOM computer terminal that alerts them to a medical call requiring a first responder and HFD dispatchers then send the nearest fire company. HUMC does not mention this in there website because I do not believe that they want to recognize the service the HFD provides to the city.

As for the civilian EMTs that lost their jobs, they could not be brought in as firefighters because of civil service regulations and some of their ages. Also they were not offered jobs with HUMC EMS (vanguard managment co), however none would have taken it because it was more than a 50% pay cut and other reasons that I wont get into... Def a sad story because HFD EMS did provide a great service for many years and most of what happened was done for political reasons in many peoples opinion, including mine...

Thanks, Cgrave.

One more question.....is that Vanguard Inc. the same company that provides HUMC ALS that prior to their existence provided the area ALS response?

Thanks, Cgrave.

One more question.....is that Vanguard Inc. the same company that provides HUMC ALS that prior to their existence provided the area ALS response?

That's a negative. HUMC was one of the first paramedic units in the state and has been providing ALS since the late '70's. Vanguard has never provided ALS in NJ.