Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Engine 454 form PA

6 posts in this topic

http://www.mcfd.net/images/e454new2.jpg

Engine 454 is a 2003 Pierce/Lance that has a 2,000GPM Pumper with 600 gal. tank and 150 gal. foam tank. The engine has a 150' foam reel w/ 150 gal. foam tank. It carries 1,700' 5" LDH, 3 deluge guns (1 remote controlled, 2 portable).

Why would you need this many deck guns on a truck. This truck is set up for a defensive ops. This is a great looking engine with a rescue style back. When I saw this truck I thought that it was interesting.

That is sweet! The only thing I don't like about it is there isn't a lot of room to sit on the front bumper! JUST KIDDING

One reason for so many guns is that many rural departments don't have Trucks and in the absence of ladder pipes for deluge operations, often times the primary Engine for the company will carry an extra deluge setup (in PA often referred to as step guns)

For example.... Adams County PA, (where I went to college) we had 26 departments.... Gettysburg PA (Company 1) had the only two aerial devices in the county (Truck 1 and Quint 1) so we ran mutual aid (on the first alarm box assignment often times as far as 35 miles away) Of the 26 departments in the county, they either relied on us for a truck, OR they relied on the closest truck from another county if they were a shorter distance than us.... Truck 1 was (and still is in many box areas) the first due Truck across state lines into MD to cover the National Fire Academy (Emmitsburg MD) until they purchased a tower ladder about 8 years ago.

So figure it this way.... If your closest aeriel device is coming from multiples of 10 miles away you may need a few step guns to set up a defensive operation if you roll up on a fully involved building (most often barns or farm houses).

This one company has a old FDNY tower and in thier town they have a AFL ladder

I agree I hate those v bar ask X635 how much i hate those bars

If you have a fixed deck gun and you want to go up and get it so you can use it on the ground you have to make awork area and have steps and handles so you can get it down(NFPA) It is a lot easier to have a second deck gun down low so you can use it on the ground.

It is a nice truck but what the hell is up with that light bar? That must be the worst light bar ever made. I hate the ski rack with all of thse dash lights

Great looking rig! The color is a nice touch to it.