Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Burnet TX FD Apparatus

6 posts in this topic

Burnet (pronouced "burnit") is located in the Highland Lakes region of Texas Hill Country in Central Texas. It's largely rural, but has some really cool town centers and recreational activities.

They have volunteer fire department that has their own suppresion apparatus, and they supplements staffing when needed. From what I was told, the FD is described as "An EMS agency with a fire truck". They do 4400 calls a year, 1200 being interfacility transports (they transport all over the state). The fact that they do interfacility transports is unique. For EMS coverage, they cover over 750 square miles.

First up is Engine 3, a International/Pierce 4x4:

post-11-0-82614400-1312066370.jpg

The brand new Brush 2, 2011 Ford/Blanchat:

post-11-0-65720800-1312066568.jpg

Tanker 2:

post-11-0-81041000-1312066634.jpg

Medic 7 2010 Ford/Wheeled Coach:

post-11-0-62249900-1312066887.jpg

Medic 3 Dodge/Frazer

post-11-0-40023800-1312067295.jpg

Burnet PD:

post-11-0-52407100-1312067446.jpg

And found sitting alongside the road preserved along with a lot of '50s vintage cars:

post-11-0-71422200-1312066803.jpg

firedude and Task Force 7 like this

Kudos to a fire department having some Type III's. It is so incredibly rare that anything but commercials have Type II's and, let's be honest, they do the trick for at least 90% of EMS patients and cost sometimes as much as half as much.

I'd be interested in the financials of such a department.. i.e. where the $ from transports goes and if it effects the $ received from the municipalities served etc.. It sounds interesting nonetheless considering so many Fire/EMS combinations are very much a Fire Department who also "happens" to run EMS.

Edited by skme318

Kudos to a fire department having some Type III's. It is so incredibly rare that anything but commercials have Type III's and, let's be honest, they do the trick for at least 90% of EMS patients and cost sometimes as much as half as much.

I'd be interested in the financials of such a department.. i.e. where the $ from transports goes and if it effects the $ received from the municipalities served etc.. It sounds interesting nonetheless considering so many Fire/EMS combinations are very much a Fire Department who also "happens" to run EMS.

Don't you mean type II, I was always told type I is Medic 3, type II is Medic 7 and type III is a commercial van chassis with the medical box attached.

Don't you mean type II, I was always told type I is Medic 3, type II is Medic 7 and type III is a commercial van chassis with the medical box attached.

My mistake. Corrected.

Kudos to a fire department having some Type III's. It is so incredibly rare that anything but commercials have Type II's and, let's be honest, they do the trick for at least 90% of EMS patients and cost sometimes as much as half as much.

By law in TX the revenues are placed in the General fund for the City. But in looking at Burnet's budget they in turn

allocate the revenue ( 2011 est $1.7M) right back to the FD, as well as funding received for their county coverage, etc. So in short the coity council puts that funding at this time right back into the FD to provide emergency services