Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Minerva1984

Albany Fire Department

11 posts in this topic

I am looking for some information on the Albany Fire Department. Mainly, I am curious on how often they give their exam. Do they test every two years? Or every four year? Or do they schedule an exam as needed? Also wondering if there's any preference for EMT-Paramedic certified applicants during the process? I also heard a rumor that they could have a significant number of retirements over the next several years.

I have the last exam announcement for the test they just gave, but it didn't give any information about how often they test.

Yeah, I just heard of those hires today. On another topic, what's the staffing like right now in Albany. I know it's been a while since they've been able to hire. I heard they were down to two many ladder companies?

Albany gives tests every three years, unless the eligibility list is exteneded. They just gave a test in January and have been holding the results until they hired this group of 15. The results most likely will be releasesed with in the month, meaning that a new test will not be given for at least three years.

As far as mass retirements, there is a possibility of this happening if the city changes the insurance package given to retirees (which is proposed to take effect Jan.1 2012) which would require retirees to contribute to their medical benefits. If this happens anyone with 20 years can go.

Also, Albany is an ALS agency. You do not have to be a medic to get hired, however you can not reach top of grade until you are a medic. You are required to be an EMT prior to hire. Some of the new hires that started their academy this morning are medics, which I would imagine helped their chances of getting the position.

As far as staffing, the last class that was hired completed their academy in 2009. The city will still have vacancies once these 15 get out of the academy and will still rely on OT to fill the vacancies. There are 8 engine companies with 3, four ladder companies with 3, the rescue squad with minimum of 4 maximum of 6, and 3 stand alone rescue (medic) units staffed with 2. One of the engines is also a primary ALS unit (Engine 10).

BFD1054 likes this

Albany gives tests every three years, unless the eligibility list is exteneded. They just gave a test in January and have been holding the results until they hired this group of 15. The results most likely will be releasesed with in the month, meaning that a new test will not be given for at least three years.

As far as mass retirements, there is a possibility of this happening if the city changes the insurance package given to retirees (which is proposed to take effect Jan.1 2012) which would require retirees to contribute to their medical benefits. If this happens anyone with 20 years can go.

Also, Albany is an ALS agency. You do not have to be a medic to get hired, however you can not reach top of grade until you are a medic. You are required to be an EMT prior to hire. Some of the new hires that started their academy this morning are medics, which I would imagine helped their chances of getting the position.

As far as staffing, the last class that was hired completed their academy in 2009. The city will still have vacancies once these 15 get out of the academy and will still rely on OT to fill the vacancies. There are 8 engine companies with 3, four ladder companies with 3, the rescue squad with minimum of 4 maximum of 6, and 3 stand alone rescue (medic) units staffed with 2. One of the engines is also a primary ALS unit (Engine 10).

Thanks for that information. I knew that they had just given the exam, so I was trying to figure out when it would be given again. Does Albany run their own academy or do they attend Montour Falls/Utica?

The test announcement allows for several surrounding counties to take the exam, but it's my understanding that you need to reside in the City to be hired?

Finally, what does their hiring process involve? Canvas, background, cpat, interview?

Again, Thanks for the information. It's Appreciated.

i heard they just hired 15 the other day

Thanks for that information. I knew that they had just given the exam, so I was trying to figure out when it would be given again. Does Albany run their own academy or do they attend Montour Falls/Utica?

They hold their own 15 week academy.

The test announcement allows for several surrounding counties to take the exam, but it's my understanding that you need to reside in the City to be hired?

You MUST be a City resident.

Finally, what does their hiring process involve? Canvas, background, cpat, interview?

All of the above and then some...

Again, Thanks for the information. It's Appreciated.

As far as staffing are you including the Officer in the 3 man per engine and truck. Or does Albany just have 3 per rig which in effect leaves 2 persons to initiate operations as driver usually stays with apparatus to supply water or operate aerial.

I heard the other day there were 40 (yes - FORTY!) OT slots to fill on a shift recently.....usually it has been around 15-20 if I remember correctly....

As far as staffing are you including the Officer in the 3 man per engine and truck. Or does Albany just have 3 per rig which in effect leaves 2 persons to initiate operations as driver usually stays with apparatus to supply water or operate aerial.

Yes, the officer counts as part of the 3. There are 3 total bodies per truck and engine and 2 per rescue (medic) units and 4 min. on the rescue squad. The driver generally stays with the first due engine and truck company, then it is up to the oic of the rig of the following due. Most of the time the driver of the later due goes to work or assists the first due.

I heard the other day there were 40 (yes - FORTY!) OT slots to fill on a shift recently.....usually it has been around 15-20 if I remember correctly....

The number is a little high, but yes the OT is coming quick and often as there is one shift that is shorter than the rest on manpower.