Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
norestriction

Hastings fire chiefs car catches fire

62 posts in this topic

Lots of car fires are routine but there are some real pain in the a** ones like this. I personally hate car fires and wouldn't mind one bit if I didn't go to another one. As an officer it's a no gain (almost never anything to save) and way to many ways to get hurt.

One thing to keep in mind is the specific gravity of the product. Since the product is going to float it really makes it a pain since even when you dam it it will be the first to float over the dam. I you can figure out some way to let water out at the bottom you can keep the product where you want it. The oil industry knows this and has the ability to release water at the low point of berms that surround their tanks at tank farms.

The discussion of chocking is good I was at a car fire where the car let go as we got off the rig and rolled right into the front bumper of the rig. I happened to be the chauffeurs last tour. I'm sure he'll remember it well.

I agree with your post above, but to clarify, and this is my opinion (and I'm allowed to have one whether you agree or disagree), the kitchen table is toxic and that is what I was reffering to. But that's a topic for a different thread.

We could pick this apart forever. Now that everyone has camera phones and cameras that take videos, we're even more under the gun for criticism and everyone thinks that they are an expert by looking at photos and video. And many members speculate based on a second and vantage in time when a photo was taken. This, I have found, is why everyone complains about this forum. I've been involved in "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" in some threads, and people still hold a grudge against me for it.

If someone on scene that is an officer wants to come on here and comment or give insight and maybe answer questions, fine. You guys need to encourage that to officers within your own departments. I'd love to see that. But they are under no obligation to answer to their tatics here, other then if they want to use this to enhance firefighter safety. So, relax on the critcism and speculation specific to this incident. I'm pretty sure this is not the first car fire these guys have put out, and I'm sure they can use the video to learn.

Again, this is what I have found as the #1 reason that gives these forums a bad name, and discourage people from posting. I think a video like this is a great learning tool, but these types of threads actually make people not want to share their experiences. Everyone wants to criticize other departments, but when it comes to their own department, this site and I get slammed.....

I think this is an excellent video to learn from and talk about tatics in a general form. But again, I'm sure the firefighters from Hastings and Yonkers WHO WERE THERE wouldn't appreciate speculation from people who weren't even there.

Also, some members have made one line inflammatory comments attacking or taunting the staff that don't contribute to this discussion. The posts been removed, and for more info, read the forum rules. If you have a problem with the moderation of this forum, you can contact me or any of the staff members.

Anti-negativity iniative: