Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Lake Mohegan FD Headquarters

8 posts in this topic

I was just looking at some photos that I took a few years back and I wonder....how can y'all in Mohegan operate your headquarters from such a obsolete building at a severly overburdened road?

Is a new headquarters, possibly one set back on a side road (is that old school still there?) on any radar?

I would also imagine that the current HQ sits on prime real estate, and that could help with property aqquisition costs.

I know, not really my business to care about it, but just was thinking....everyone in Mohegan deserves better.

Very interesting questions seth. I drive past that station wvery day on the way to work and wonder how tough it is to work out of that station (with the traffic specifically) day in and day out. I too feel that the fire fighters and EMT's both volunteer and career do an outstanding job with their service to the towns of cortlandt and yorktown. I wouldnt go as far as saying the station is obsolete only because I haven't been in there in years but would like to see them get a bigger station and maybe some more useable property. I will close with this... Thank you to the guys and girls of the LMFD for all of your hard work and dedication, and to all here, stay safe.

from what i heard...the station that was built on westbrook drive years ago was meant to be the main station. i think because it is technically more central located. The reason that i heard for them not making that their main station was because the main one on route 6 was donated or something like that, and if they moved out, they would lose use of it. correct me if im wrong(probally am on a few points)

from what i heard...the station that was built on westbrook drive years ago was meant to be the main station. i think because it is technically more central located. The reason that i heard for them not making that their main station was because the main one on route 6 was donated or something like that, and if they moved out, they would lose use of it. correct me if im wrong(probally am on a few points)

The HQ they are in now is really more central than westbrook would be. As far as the property on 6 being donated and the loss of the property if they moved, that I don't know. Interesting though. Any members of mohegan who can chime in here?

Route 6 and Lexington is a fantastically central location. By way of Route 6 (east/west) and Lexington Ave (north/south), you really couldn't pick a better spot even if you tried.

JohnnyOV likes this

It is centrally located, but if you go north on Lexington, isn't there an abandoned school with property?

The location would mean they would get money for the property, plus the property would go on the tax roles and possibly generate sales tax and fire district tax as well.

I think, not just in Mohegan's case, that having a firehouse on a prime piece of property can be detrimental to the local economy. In Mohegan's case, all of their substations are located out of prime real estate routes.

Also, I have no idea how the apparatus operators can back Ladder 35 and Engine in. Also, does the traffic still bottleneck in that area..it's been a while since I've been up there...does it ever affect apparatus reponse?

The main firehouse is a great tradional firehouse, and they've done a beautiful job upstairs. I remember when they knocked down that old abndodned building on the side to build the ambulance bays, and they have nice room to work in those bays.

*DISCLAIMED: I, living in Texas and having no real connection to Mohegan for several years except several friends, just an "enthusiast" with a big mouth.

It is centrally located, but if you go north on Lexington, isn't there an abandoned school with property?

The abandoned school is now the Hudson Valley Islamic Community Center. After years of disrepair, it looks like its been undergoing some renovations inside and out.

That being said, there are 16 acres of land now for sale just south of that location diagonally from GWES that could potentially serve as a new home?

The abandoned school is now the Hudson Valley Islamic Community Center. After years of disrepair, it looks like its been undergoing some renovations inside and out.

That being said, there are 16 acres of land now for sale just south of that location diagonally from GWES that could potentially serve as a new home?

side topic... another great blunder of the Yorktown Government. High end condos were planned to go in there, bringing in thousands of dollars in taxes a month. Yorktown shot it down, and now its another tax free, religious property in this town.... on top of that, LETS GO BUILD MORE BASEBALL FIELDS YYEAAAAAAAA!

mad.gif /rant