Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Somers Looking To Hire Career Firefighters?

125 posts in this topic

As I've said, wait a couple of years and see where Somers FD is then. I would not release information that I deem inaccurate, or should not be released. Look at my past threads citing anonymous sources. All of that information I provided occured exactly as I explained it. I'm not in this to improve my credibilty or BS anyone, people come here because they want to know what's going on.

There's a lot more that I know about Somers that I'm not or haven't posted because I don't think it would be fair to the department or most of it's members.

Just the study alone is a very progressive move, and I believe it is something that should be highlighted to the rest of the County so they can follow along to see how this progresses and make changes in their own department.

The report has not been accepted, because it is an incomplete report. A consultant can not make any reccomendations until they have complete data, including trends. I wouldn't think Somers FD would accept a incomplete report.

Anticipating some of the other things into the report, the consultant studied requests and concepts provided, and will provide an answer to those as well.

All in all, this is a study done by a professional nationally reconized consulting firm. It's going to make reccomendations as to what they think would work best for Somers, and may include several options. Your leadership will decide what will work best and implement the reccomendations as they see fit.

INIT915 likes this

Wahlers made a point of saying he is happy working with the fire department and plans to continue. He just feels he cannot act as fire chief unless he can do things his way.

http://www.thedailysomers.com/neighbors/somers-fire-chief-steps-down

He cannot act as Fire Chief unless he does things his way? I was under the impression that Somers wasn't a dictatorship, lol.

Part of being a Fire Chief is working with others. If the Board Of Commisioners is who the Chief answers to, then he or she should know that before accepting the position. Sometimes it involves comprimises or moves your not happy with. I'm sure many Fire Chief's have had disagreements with their governing body, but stood their ground.

As Fire Chief, he said, “you’re the manager a lot of the time, telling people what to do. I missed doing hands-on when I became chief.

A Chief is a leader. You don't do the hands on anymore. That's part of the manager's job...delegation. That's something that you should clearly know as you work your way up the ranks.

Wahlers said fire officials have been asking to have fire lane laws strengthened for many years but there is a lot of paper work involved. “Every time we think we are close to the solution, there’s a new election or a new commissioner and we have to start all over again.”

Sounds like a lot of tension there.

Maybe it's stuff like the above that the study is addressing.....

The week before, same source, The Daily Somers:

SOMERS, N.Y. - Somers Fire Chief George Wahlers was greeted with expressions of respect and thanks at last week's Town Board meeting. Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy said she had recently seen the Volunteer Fire Department, “in action. It must have been 100 degrees out and you were loaded down with about 50 pounds of equipment and you did a fantastic job.”

Why is Somers PAYING Westhester EMS to dispatch private, for profit, transports from their dispatch room?

Does WEMS pay rent, or is this in the contract?

I've been to a couple of Somers Commisioners meeeting over the past few years. There always was very little attendance,including the membership of Somers FD, but all the commisioners. Some of what's been said here was being discussed at the meeting.

One Commisioner, who was formerly a Chief I later found out, seemed to get really angry when the subject of going to 60 Control would save money came up. It was like there was no reasoning with him. Seemed like he had an axe to grind whenever two commisioners would say anything at all. There was palpable tension between him and these commisioners, and you can tell he wanted no change whatsoever and saw absolutely no flaws with anything. He also seemed to imply he was in charge of the radio room, and could not explain how he seperates himself from WEMS. With that Commisioner still on the board, I don't think any of the above is going to happen anytime soon, unless he get's knocked out during the next election.

It's sad that one person can hold grudges, is frightened of any change, and can harbor so much anger that it prevents a department from moving forward.

Edited by WHarley3
Monty likes this

Just a shot in the dark here, but I am gonna guess that what you saw was the SFD commissioner that draws his salary as a WEMS dispatcher. WEMS gets $170,000/year to dispatch the SFD. The SFD's position, as stated at a Town Board meeting 8/5/10 is that the SFD call volume is too high, and the Districts's dispatching needs too complex for 60 to handle.

Just don't tell that to New Rochelle, Eastchester FD and EMS, CPRP, PeekskillFD and VAC, Mohegan FD and VAC, WEMS flycars and all the other agencies with higher call volumes.

As for the post c/o my disparaging the SFD: I don't see it that way. We have a good group of dedicated members. They do stuff I can't or won't do. I do some stuff they can't or won't do. Either way, I respect them.

You all have great sides/opinions to this topic, am glad to see the effort put into satisfying each other.