Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Seatbelts On Coach Buses And Trains

2 posts in this topic

With all the recent coach bus crashes, I'm wondering why seat belts aren't available on these buses? Why are they exempt? Same goes for trains.

I remember my school bus even didn't used to have seatbelts. I remember when they mandated them, with those giant metal buckles.

In New York State, while seat belts are mandatory on all school buses manufactured since the late 1980's, it is not mandatory that they are used.

Trains? While it might work for Amtrak. On the commuter rails, ie: Metro North, people are lucky they get to sit during rush hour. Then if it they were mandatory to use, there's the enforcement aspect of it. The only thing the conductors can enforce are payment of fares, no ticket or money, off the train you go. Beyond that they have little say regarding the behavior of passengers. While they can call the cops for unruly passengers, getting the PD to meet the train at the next station is another story and RTC won't let the conductors hold up the train to wait for them.

Besides having seat belts on Metro North's trains will make my nap much more uncomfortable going back and forth to work. :rolleyes: