Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

New Haven Firefighters Save Climber

6 posts in this topic

Firefighters Save Climber

Three firefighters were sent to the hospital Thursday afternoon as a result of a “hairy” rescue operation at East Rock Park.

The fire department got the call around 3:45 p.m. A female climber who attends Yale was stuck on the face of East Rock.

Firefighters arrived quickly and got to work on a rope rescue. One company approached her from the bottom of the rock. Three other companies approached from the top of East Rock.

“She was not far from falling. She was tired, and she was at the point she was about to let go,” Chief Michael Grant said at the scene.

Two firefighters dangled from ropes. It took a while, but they got her, safe and sound. She was on the ground by about 5 p.m.

3 firefighters hospitalized, 2 were released last night and one of the released returned again today from complications.

Best of luck to the injured Brothers on their recovery. Glad to see NHPD charged these two knuckleheads for climbing out there. Anyone who knows New Haven knows East Rock is not forgiving, and there's a reason you're not supposed to climb there.

The IA was here:

For those not familiar with New Haven, East Rock and West Rock parks have steep rock faces and are illegal to climb. At least 2 or 3 times a year, NHFD has to pick off some one off one of these places, more so East Rock as its is pretty much located central in the city. If you go to the archives on radio reference, I'm sure all the transmissions are still up of the rescue.

I read the article on fire engineering if I remember correctly one firefighter fell 60 feet while attempting to climb up from the bottom one was hit by the rocks that fell as a result and the third was sent to the hospital to be evaluated after being in the rescue harness for an extended period of time.

How high up was she? What were the nature of the injuries to the FFs? Hope they get well soon.

By the way the articles were written and what I heard on the tactical channel, I would guess she had to be 100 feet from the ground level base. The LT was coming from the ground level up and he fell approx 60 to 70 feet, he was on the way up to her but never reached her. One firefighter that was also hurt saw shielding the LT from the falling rocks after he feel and the 3rd FF was transported for other medical reasons. I'm only going off what I have read so far and the CTNOW.com interview.

Good job by all involved and both climbers (the one who was stuck and the other one) have been charged with reckless endangerment and a also for violating the ordinance prohibiting climbing East Rock. Go figure both are Yale students (seems like the NHFD boys and girls are always taking them off that rock face).

Edited by IzzyEng4
SageVigiles likes this