Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

North Hudson NJ Firefighters Can't wear Pink T-Shirts

34 posts in this topic

I totally think these guys should be able to wear their shirts, in solidarity with the International, and all the countless departments taking place in this good cause. But guys, we have to remember our chiefs are human beings, and even the ones who exhibit very little to no ego at all can still take it personally if the members start doing things on their own, without the approval of the officer in charge.

Your post was interesting.

But to assume the chief said no because of some ego issue is a leap.

Why is it so hard to accept or understand that the chief simply thinks his firefighters should look like the professionals they are when working?

I still find the notion from some of you that the chief should bend to the desires of the union and its members bizarre.

I think the chief knows he does not want to open this can of worms.

And I'm sure it was the firefighters unions that made this public as they always run to the media when they don't get their way. I'm surprised they didn't claim that not allowing them to wear pink would jepardize lives.

Maybe you should re-read my post. I said the reason the chief denied wearing the shirts is because the Local did not seek the proper authorization. I was giving the chief leeway in that maybe last year this job wore the shirts, and the chief let it slide, but thought "next time they'd better do this right." The whole gist of my post is that chiefs do not "bend to the desires of the union", rather they want things done properly; ie getting the authorization to go ahead with the program.

I said somebody that wasn't happy with the chief's decision, dropped a dime to the media. I think that was wrong, as it exacerbated the situation, and guaranteed the shirts program D.O.A.

But for you to take such a cheap shot to say the union would claim not wearing the shirts would jeopardize lives is just that; a cheap shot.

And your idea that wearing a different colored shirt is unprofessional is pretty bizarre in itself. Do you apply that same standard to fire trucks as well? Lime Green, Red and Black, unprofessional apparatus? Like I said, we're all entitled to have an opinion here, but at this point i think you're just a pot stirrer with issues.

Maybe you should re-read my post. I said the reason the chief denied wearing the shirts is because the Local did not seek the proper authorization. I was giving the chief leeway in that maybe last year this job wore the shirts, and the chief let it slide, but thought "next time they'd better do this right." The whole gist of my post is that chiefs do not "bend to the desires of the union", rather they want things done properly; ie getting the authorization to go ahead with the program.

I said somebody that wasn't happy with the chief's decision, dropped a dime to the media. I think that was wrong, as it exacerbated the situation, and guaranteed the shirts program D.O.A.

But for you to take such a cheap shot to say the union would claim not wearing the shirts would jeopardize lives is just that; a cheap shot.

And your idea that wearing a different colored shirt is unprofessional is pretty bizarre in itself. Do you apply that same standard to fire trucks as well? Lime Green, Red and Black, unprofessional apparatus? Like I said, we're all entitled to have an opinion here, but at this point i think you're just a pot stirrer with issues.

I read your post just fine.

You took shots at the chief for not bending to the firefighters desires.

The idea of a black, or lime green fire truck being unprofessional is not even close to the same issue.

I thought that within reason the fire chief was in charge of the fire dept.

I was not aware that not allowing members to wear pink shirts as uniforms was being unreasonable.

Thanks for setting me straight.

I will have no further comments on the subject.

Further down the road here in the Garden State....

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20111021/NJNEWS/310210022/North-Plainfield-firefighters-don-pink-breast-cancer-awareness?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

North Plainfield firefighters don pink for breast cancer awareness

Fire officials to sell special department T-shirts at tonight's high-school football game

NORTH PLAINFIELD — Borough firefighters are going pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and at tonight’s North Plainfield High School football game they’ll be urging others to do the same.

Fire officials at the start of October traded in their traditional station uniform shirts for special ones with bold pink ribbon designs to be worn on duty, Chief William Eaton explained, and those shirts will be available for $15 apiece at the 7 p.m. game against Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School at Krausche Field. Proceeds from the sale will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the nation’s largest organization to promote awareness and prevention of breast cancer.

The sale is being coordinated by North Plainfield Firefighters International Association of Fire Fighters Local No. 2958, representing nearly 300,000 emergency responders across the country. Krausche Field is located near the intersection of Walnut Street and Wilson Avenue just off U.S. Route 22 East.