Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

New York Uniform Traffic Ticket Hoax E-mail

8 posts in this topic

I have 4 e-mails that I had gotten moving summons in the "Town of Chatam, NY" and that payment was due to prevent further fines and fees.The e-mails claim to be from the NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles, but look very plain. I was about to contact the New York State Police, since if you do get a summons, you will not be contacted by E-mail, when I checked the State Police website (I needed the non emergency number to the local barracks). There is a link on the NY State Police website Traffic Ticket E-mail Hoax . Apparently there is a virus attached to the E-mail that will download if you click on the link to view the ticket. Please be aware of this, and pass this along to friends and family, especially older drivers who may be more likely to fall for scams like this. According to the State Police website, they are aware of this, they are investigating and there is no need to contact the State Police.

Edited by grumpyff

I have 4 e-mails that I had gotten moving summons in the "Town of Chatam, NY" and that payment was due to prevent further fines and fees.The e-mails claim to be from the NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles, but look very plain. I was about to contact the New York State Police, since if you do get a summons, you will not be contacted by E-mail, when I checked the State Police website (I needed the non emergency number to the local barracks). There is a link on the NY State Police website Traffic Ticket E-mail Hoax . Apparently there is a virus attached to the E-mail that will download if you click on the link to view the ticket. Please be aware of this, and pass this along to friends and family, especially older drivers who may be more likely to fall for scams like this. According to the State Police website, they are aware of this, they are investigating and there is no need to contact the State Police.

The same is true of an e-mail alleging to be from the IRS and other government agencies. If in doubt, delete it!

How boring....I like when I get the calls from the State Police Benevolence Assoc. asking for donations and I keep them on the phone chatting and then ask them for an address to mail a check to them...and they get all nervous...sad part is..its a while before I hear from them again.

I'm also awaiting to hear from my long lost cousin in Africa as I'm anxiously awaiting the 100 million dollars that I may have to hold for him.

x129K, helicopper, PEMO3 and 1 other like this

My friend got robbed and is stuck in London. Since I'm cheap she is still thete waiting for me to send money so she can buy new plane tickets home.

x129K and helicopper like this

And don't forget that Nigerian Banker that is looking for you to hold the hundred million dollars for him. He just needs you to send him ten thousand dollars so he can afford to wire it to your bank account after you also send him the account and routing number but he is going to split it with you because you are a friend.

A few months ago, went to the Fort Myers area of Florida looking at apartments. Found a few listings on Craigslist and followed up on them. Another one we found was obviously too good to be true; Cape Coral, private house with a dock and a pool. So I contact the owner out of curiosity and get the whole ridiculous story of how "she" is doing charity medical work in Nigeria, and won't be able to return anytime soon, but lucky for me, we can do the entire transaction right over the internet!

So I play along with this Nigerian bonehead and get him to think I'm totally interested. He gives me all this information of how and where to send a Western Union money order for the deposit, and I keep right on playing with this S.O.B.

I go to Moneygram, not Western Union, and I get a money order for....... ONE DOLLAR. cost me ten bucks to send it, I didn't care. I could picture this.....Nigerian, riding his bicycle to the bank where I sent the money order, drooling that he suckered somebody into forking over the $800 he wanted. heh heh.

The guys at Moneygram thought it was hilarious. And so I waited......then came the email response and I acted shocked! "Somebody has ripped me off!" "I will investigate this" haha...

Kept leading this jerk-off on for a week. Made him go back to the bank two more times before he finally gave up. I hope he had to bike through the freakin' desert on a rusty old one-speed with flat tires.

It got to be an obsession. My gf was starting to look at me strange. But I thought, this is the revenge for all the poor old senior citizens, the trusting old souls that this worthless POS had suckered in the past.

Call me sadistic, I don't care. I enjoyed every minute of it.

PS: Many, if not the majority of real-estate listing on Craigslist are phony scams. Be careful if you get the sob story as the previous posters have mentioned.

JJB531, PEMO3, efermann and 1 other like this

A few months ago, went to the Fort Myers area of Florida looking at apartments. Found a few listings on Craigslist and followed up on them. Another one we found was obviously too good to be true; Cape Coral, private house with a dock and a pool. So I contact the owner out of curiosity and get the whole ridiculous story of how "she" is doing charity medical work in Nigeria, and won't be able to return anytime soon, but lucky for me, we can do the entire transaction right over the internet!

So I play along with this Nigerian bonehead and get him to think I'm totally interested. He gives me all this information of how and where to send a Western Union money order for the deposit, and I keep right on playing with this S.O.B.

I go to Moneygram, not Western Union, and I get a money order for....... ONE DOLLAR. cost me ten bucks to send it, I didn't care. I could picture this.....Nigerian, riding his bicycle to the bank where I sent the money order, drooling that he suckered somebody into forking over the $800 he wanted. heh heh.

The guys at Moneygram thought it was hilarious. And so I waited......then came the email response and I acted shocked! "Somebody has ripped me off!" "I will investigate this" haha...

Kept leading this jerk-off on for a week. Made him go back to the bank two more times before he finally gave up. I hope he had to bike through the freakin' desert on a rusty old one-speed with flat tires.

It got to be an obsession. My gf was starting to look at me strange. But I thought, this is the revenge for all the poor old senior citizens, the trusting old souls that this worthless POS had suckered in the past.

Call me sadistic, I don't care. I enjoyed every minute of it.

PS: Many, if not the majority of real-estate listing on Craigslist are phony scams. Be careful if you get the sob story as the previous posters have mentioned.

The joys of retirement! You just gave me something to look forward to. :lol:

efdcapt115 likes this

My friend got robbed and is stuck in London. Since I'm cheap she is still thete waiting for me to send money so she can buy new plane tickets home.

Must be an epidemic..mine too...so when I looked across the room and asked him how he made out with his mugging in london...he said ok but he still needed money to get home...lol.