Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Wealthy Westchester Hydrants

6 posts in this topic

Wealthy areas in Northern Westchester. More money, more larger houses, less hydrants.

Long term common sense sees the decline in manpower, and the increasing need for multiple tankers. Given the purchase of Tankers, upkeep, insurance, training, maybe one day staffing,would that make them obsolete? Would an Engine being able to hook into a hydrant reduce the amount of manpower and equipment needed, and deliver water faster?

The cost is pretty high, the long term as well, but I think there is a good case to be made to the wealthy. Even though it is "rural", is it really? Isn't it just less dense suburbia?

Why?

Part of the problem is that hydrants are part of the water system controled by the water dept and its special tax district. I dont see how getting water taxpayers to pay for all the infrastructure improvements (adding miles of new mains/hydrants) is going to go over well especailly with the 2% tax cap (and its work arounds) and the bad economy.

Since all of the houses NOT in a water district are already served by a well, I dont see many homeowners deciding to ditch the well and pay for a tap and the accociated water lines from the main to their house.

In my opinion, the long term total cost of a few tankers (purchase, upkeep, fuel and insurance) is much cheaper even over the life time of the vehicle than paying for the new mains/hydrants.

Part of the problem is that hydrants are part of the water system controled by the water dept and its special tax district. I dont see how getting water taxpayers to pay for all the infrastructure improvements (adding miles of new mains/hydrants) is going to go over well especailly with the 2% tax cap (and its work arounds) and the bad economy.

Since all of the houses NOT in a water district are already served by a well, I dont see many homeowners deciding to ditch the well and pay for a tap and the accociated water lines from the main to their house.

In my opinion, the long term total cost of a few tankers (purchase, upkeep, fuel and insurance) is much cheaper even over the life time of the vehicle than paying for the new mains/hydrants.

Even cheaper is Residential Sprinklers.

Something else to ponder is how many mansion owners are participating (not just on-the-books) volunteer firefighters in their communities. Do the serfs do all the firefighting in some N Westchester communities?

Residential sprinklers is the right answer. And, if your in a rural area, dependent on wells for water supply, the cost of a buried 3000 gal water tank and pump for your home sprinkler would be negligable for any McMansion. Probably not more than the cost of the swimming pool you put in to only use a couple months a year. Value that against the life of your family and your property.

I never understood why people in CA with all the wild fires, don't have both interior and exterior sprinkler systems using their pools as a supply. How many photos of burned out shells do you see with a pool full of water in the backyard. People will spend money on just about anything but their basic safety needs.

I never understood why people in CA with all the wild fires, don't have both interior and exterior sprinkler systems using their pools as a supply. How many photos of burned out shells do you see with a pool full of water in the backyard. People will spend money on just about anything but their basic safety needs.

During a firestorm, sprinklers are not going to do anything. It's like putting a garden hose on an Oil Refinery fire.

Maybe it's me but I'm finding it hard to truely understand your original post. What are you trying to make obsolete? Tankers?