Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpinerunner

City of New Haven - Firefighter - Opening 11/28/11

6 posts in this topic

The New Haven application is supposed to come out on the 28th. Does anyone know what their residency preference policy is? Do they hire off a residency list first? Or give bonus points to residents? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth moving there so any insight would be appreciated!

Typically cities plan for the type of move you are contemplating.

That is to get residents points you must be a resident of that city for 6-12 months prior to application period.

Typically cities plan for the type of move you are contemplating.

That is to get residents points you must be a resident of that city for 6-12 months prior to application period.

I've seen it change quite a bit. The 2006/7 FDNY test you could move AFTER taking the test. This round they made it retroactive to the announcement as you're saying. Many cities (Bridgeport) also just require that your start of residency has to be before the date of the announcement of the exam, so in New Haven's case, I don't think the exam has been officially announced.

The New Haven application is supposed to come out on the 28th. Does anyone know what their residency preference policy is? Do they hire off a residency list first? Or give bonus points to residents? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth moving there so any insight would be appreciated!

Congratulations!!! You've just won a brand new can of worms!!!!

As of Thursday the official word from NHFD is that they have no idea what they are doing for residency requirements yet. The only absolutely concrete thing is that they give 5 extra points to residents under the city's civil service policies.

There is DISCUSSION (I repeat, discussion, NONE of this is concrete yet) of a cap on applications, that seems likely but the details of it are where we start wading into the rumor pool. It has been discussed at Board of Aldermen meetings to require 50% of the applications to be New Haven residents. It has also been discussed by certain advocacy groups that start with an "F" and end with an "irebirds Assocation" that 100% of the applications be NH residents, as in do not allow anyone from outside to take the test.

Again, what actually is going to happen regarding residency requirements is completely unknown, and that's the official word from the Asst. Chief/Executive Officer at last week's orientation for the hiring process. Stay tuned, because this is going to get REAL interesting.

Alpinerunner likes this

I took the test for NHFD twice back in the '90's.............from what I remember, there was no list,.............they hired who they wanted to! I knew I had no shot, and glad I never got on there after seeing how the city treated the "New Haven 20" group!

Firebirds? Oh yeah those imbosols. Weren't they shot down by the New haven 20? Those guys won their case I thought.

Edited by FirNaTine