Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Post Incident Critiques?

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious about post-incident critiques. I think they are quite a valuable tool in learning and making improvments for future responses.

I'm wondering if any local department has these after incidents, and how they go about it. Do they sit in a room and talk, do they review fire scene photos, etc and then what, if any, action is taken and how is it accomplished?

I feel the post-incident critique can be one of the best tools around for finding problems in our jobs and fixing them. But it seems like they are rarely done, or rarely done on a proper scale.

A post incident critique is an excellent tool. Unfortunately it is under utilized.

The critique is generaly a round table type discusion with the IC of the incident as the moderator.

In critiques I've done I've used the COAL WAS WEALTH size up based on the dispatch infomation. I've put together power point presentations based on radio communications tapes and photos of the incident.

It is important that the critiques don't become a finger pointing fight fest but a mature discusion to determine on what we can do to do a better job next time.

Our current First Assistant Chief informs me that one of his goals as Department Chief will be to hold a post-incident review after any "notable" incident.

We learn from our mistakes - so by pointing them out everytime we make them, perhaps we'll have them less and less.

In the past my dept conducted critiques after major incidents. It has been years where we have conducted a critique of a incident, what a shame.. I believe a critique after all major incidents is important in the learning process. You can find out what you did wrong, hopefully find a solution and resolve it. Like remember 585 said, maybe it won't happen the next time. After an incident, while your at the station doing paperwork, racking hose, whatever it may be, take the time and ask the membership if there were any issues or anything. This action is like a small critique, and not only can you learn from it, so can others. This is one idea I have when I take the helm of Captain.

I know we dont have a formal critique after incidents, maybe you could call it an informal one. I have been involved in a few of them over the years and think they are an excellent learning and teaching tool. MAybe this is something that not just I but other members of departments make a mention to there Chiefs and officers.

The bunch that I have been involved with we all learned what good things that we did, some of the mistakes that were made, and though not intended got a good laugh at some of the pictures that were taken.

How can reviewing what actually went on not be a good teaching and learning tool.

A post incident critique is an excellent tool.  Unfortunately it is under utilized.

The critique is generaly a round table type discusion with the IC of the incident as the moderator..

Its a great tool for learning. Its not to just for what was done incorrectly , but also what was done correctly. Every body learns from experiences, and it is good thing to talk them out.