Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest NYTruckie

How did that Start?

17 posts in this topic

With the question about how did people start calling an Ambulance a Bus. I was wondering how many other things there must be out there that we use everyday that you might not know how they started. So why no ask and maybe someone can tell you or atleast make up a story about how it started.

I'd love to know how the term "whacker" started. Or Buff.

I'd also like to know how the term of engine or truck was developed?

I don't know where buff came from but i do know another word for a whacker or buff is "whip" and the idea behind that is a buff tends to have a lot of radios and scanners in their cars and the whip antteneas all over the car kinda like oneof those old WW II jeeps with the ants.

We had a "whacker" in our dept for a very short time and that name came along because he said and I quote " everytime L-1* goes on the road I get a h***** and want to j***-o**!"

Sorry Seth but he did actually say that!!!

wow - that is a little too much info! Was it a member of your fd, or the guy sitting next to you when you posted that? :-k

or the guy sitting next to you when you posted that? :-k

it aint me! :help:

it aint me! :help:

It's always you :twisted:

Ok boys history lesson,

Buff........... The " turnout " coat worn by the Volunteer Fire Department of the City of New York was a buff color ( between an off white and a light tan), when the volunteer department was disbanded in late 1865, the members still turned out to watch the big ones and in bad weather would don their old coats and stand on the street and observe the new dept. giving rise to the term " Buff "

To this day the 2nd battalion of the Queens regiment of the British Army still bears the title " The Buffs " for the color of their uniform facings when they were the 3rd Regiment of Foot ( Royal East Kent Regiment )

Extra Points to the member who can explain " Turnout Gear"...

and " Take up "

Hint......... They all go back to NYC

bus most likly came from the abuse of the 911 system in major citys. The police would say send a bus for a stub toe etc.

Back in the days when the NYC Department of Health and Hospitals ran ambulance service with bread trucks which staffed a MVO and nurse's aide, the number of regular abusers of the service got somewhat out of hand. The MVO's finally got the regulars to agree to meet the ambulances at the same place on a regular basis, or they would hit certain spots on a regular basis to see who was there rather than have them call the emergency number. This practice of following a regular route at certain points during the tour earned the ambulances the nickname "bus", which still persists, even to the point where fuzzy-cheeked rookie Westchester cops still request a "rush on the bus". Too funny.

Extra Points to the member who can explain " Turnout Gear"...  

and " Take up "

They would turn out of the firehouse(apparatus turning a wheel) Or, members would Turn out for an event.

Take up would come from the packing of hose lines/other gear.

Just guesses.

Back in the days when the NYC Department of Health and Hospitals ran ambulance service with bread trucks which staffed a MVO and nurse's aide, the number of regular abusers of the service got somewhat out of hand.  The MVO's finally got the regulars to agree to meet the ambulances at the same place on a regular basis, or they would hit certain spots on a regular basis to see who was there rather than have them call the emergency number.  This practice of following a regular route at certain points during the tour earned the ambulances the nickname "bus", which still persists, even to the point where fuzzy-cheeked rookie Westchester cops still request a "rush on the bus".  Too funny.

I heard the story. Probally from the same person.

I heard from him, and from my original EMT instructor at Vinny's back in the late 80's. This reminds me of how when I joined OVAC in the early 90's there were still members who called the Ferno cot a "roll-a-bed"; they stocked 4" wooden dowels for tourniquets, and every rig had a tin of WWII surplus white petrolatum "for burns". No s%#t.

I remember when Part 800 for an ambulance had 2 body bags on it. early, mid 90's

Harrison VAC still carries one on each rig

Coolio Batman, but I don't think the state requires them anymore. So as an aside who is your Robin? It's Plectron isn't it? Or will there be Sidekick tryouts?

Actually, I was hoping you could be my "Boy Wonder." If not, Plectron will have to do.

Boy I wonder why you would want that?