Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Need help ID-ing a Westchester Co. old pumper

16 posts in this topic

A friend of mine posed a question to me the other day. He is looking for a picture of an old white Ward LaFrance Ultra-vision pumper that was in was in service in the county. He says he remembers it being at a single bay station in a residential section. He also stated he though that the company later had a Mack (assuming its a CF).

I initially though it might have been Briarcliff Manor FD at first since them and Archville are the only departments that I know operated white painted rigs.

Can anyone help me out here and shed some light? My friend is an avid apparatus photographer and a buff.

Thanks.

Edited by IzzyEng4

A friend of mine posed a question to me the other day. He is looking for a picture of an old white Ward LaFrance Ultra-vision pumper that was in was in service in the county. He says he remembers it being at a single bay station in a residential section. He also stated he though that the company later had a Mack (assuming its a CF).

I initially though it might have been Briarcliff Manor FD at first since them and Archville are the only departments that I know operated white painted rigs.

Can anyone help me out here and shed some light? My friend is an avid apparatus photographer and a buff.

Thanks.

Could have been Ogden Engine in Dobbs Ferry. They had a LaFrance purchased in the '50's that was replaced by a Mack CF following. Single bay station in a residential area. I think that the cab forward WLF's didn't come around until 1959-1960 though.

Edited by mfc2257

Could have been Ogden Engine in Dobbs Ferry. They had a LaFrance purchased in the '60's that was replaced by a Mack CF following. Single bay station in a residential area.

DFFD's website states that was an American LaFrance, not a Ward LaFrance.

do u have a picture???

No, I'm looking for one for my friend.

Thanks.

Only a few Ultra's in the county none in white that I remember.

didnt Tarrytown or Sleepy Hallow (would have been labled North Tarrytown) have a Ward LaFrance???

Edited by MoFire390

I'm wondering if he was confusing DF's ALF with a WLF. What year did the Ogden's ALF get replace by the Mack CF?

Also all the Ward Ultras in the county were either in red or yellow correct?

Edited by IzzyEng4

I'm wondering if he was confusing DF's ALF with a WLF. What year did the Ogden's ALF get replace by the Mack CF?

It definitely was not Briarcliff. While we road tested a Ward LaFrance for our single station Scarborough Engine Company in the early 70's, we purchased the Mack CF instead, which was replaced by our current Pierce. Archville had a Hahn which they replaced with a Pierce.

correct ! And there were no white ALF's either

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Croton on Hudson's Harmon Engine had a 1974 WardLaFrance, lime yellow with a white cab top. After it was retired they got an American LaFrance. Their station is in a residential area. The house looked like a single company house, but around the side of the house was Fire Patrol's Quarters. One of the CFD's other Company's (Washington Engine) did have a Mack CF.

Here is a link to Harmon Engine's 1974 Ward LaFrance.

Steve, you wouldnt have a pic of the old Harmon firehouse would you?

I'm gonna run all the info by him and see if it stirs his memory.

Thanks for your help!

Izzy

Steve, you wouldnt have a pic of the old Harmon firehouse would you?

I'm gonna run all the info by him and see if it stirs his memory.

Thanks for your help!

Izzy

Joe,

Here is a link to alot of Croton FD pictures. Here is a picture of my first Company (Harmon Engine Co. #3) and it's old House. This view shows Harmon Engine's Bay with Croton Fire Patrol's Bay along the left side of the building. This is a view Fire Patrol's Bay. So, to clarify any questions Harmon Engine was located on Benedict Boulevard, while Fire Patrol was located on Wayne Street.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve, I think it was Harmon's old station and Ward he was thinking of. I'll let you know.

Thanks again!