Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

Time for Change?

11 posts in this topic

The writing is on the wall. Fires are down and fire deaths are at historic lows. As urban areas are rebuilt, newer construction and advanced safety codes take over these trends will continue. Even though we pack our buildings with a substantially higher fire load and use construction that fails much faster, fire is becoming less and less of a threat. While the threat will never be eliminated, it has irreversibly changed. Depts are busier than ever, but what are they doing if its not fires? Its hazmat, rescue, extrication, and the biggest growth is EMS. More and more depts are taking on first response or ALS while others are proving the full spectrum of EMS for their community. A few have even begun venturing into inter-facility transport duties.

Recently Danbury and New Haven have turned fire companies into ALS units. FDNY has closed fire companies while continuing to aggressively expand its position in EMS. Will the fire service adapt or be marginalized?

helicopper likes this

New Haven has not yet but it is in the plans and on the books. I'll keep you updated if and when it happens. The disbanding of the engine company is to re-organize three BLS medical units that were disbanded in early 2000. When re-organized they will become ALS units.

The fire service has and will have to continue to adapt to provide the best services, but at what cost?

"Times they are a changin" indeed. With budgets, jobs and for some VFDs there very existence on the line, I think we will continue to see a spiraling shift towards an ever increasing demand for services other than firefighting being placed on all of us. Diversification will be necessary and in fact probably mandatory, more and more with each passing year. Welcome to the 21st Century

Cogs

I wonder if we won't start seeing more public safety departments crop up, where police officers are cross-trained as fire and ems.

In fact, when I saw those pictures of the fire engines in Florida with the patient transport capabilities, I half-jokingly thought that in 20 years, there will be no separte police officers, firefighters, EMT/Medics, or even DPW workers. Everything will be handled by one department, by people with one generic job title like government worker.

PFDRes47cue likes this

I wonder if we won't start seeing more public safety departments crop up, where police officers are cross-trained as fire and ems.

In fact, when I saw those pictures of the fire engines in Florida with the patient transport capabilities, I half-jokingly thought that in 20 years, there will be no separte police officers, firefighters, EMT/Medics, or even DPW workers. Everything will be handled by one department, by people with one generic job title like government worker.

Police Officers already provide fire suppression, law enforcement, medical aid, and even remove trees from roadways during storms. They are already well-rounded town workers cool.gif. But, I hear what you are saying and I don't see it as too far off of a possibility.

Jack of all trades, master at none does not always work in emergency services.

The scariest thing for me is not adapting, but the potential for hostile takeover. Personally, i am an advocate for three clearly separate services with appropriate integration when applicable (first response by PD and/or FD). I'm not sure there will be too much change in westchestser, many of the career departments already provide first response services and those that don't probably could if it really came down to it.

"Times they are a changin" indeed. With budgets, jobs and for some VFDs there very existence on the line, I think we will continue to see a spiraling shift towards an ever increasing demand for services other than firefighting being placed on all of us. Diversification will be necessary and in fact probably mandatory, more and more with each passing year. Welcome to the 21st Century

Cogs

Don't rule out privitazation of municipal jobs.

A city in illinois I think Moline to lose 12 firefighters after city voted to privatize EMS.

Don't rule out privitazation of municipal jobs.

Nobody from Stamford rules that out.

Jack of all trades, master at none does not always work in emergency services.

Couldn't agree more