Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Yonkers Movie

9 posts in this topic

Early this morning I heard someone identifying themselves as, "movie detail" calling Yonkers on the fire band. Whats goin' on??

Are you sure it was the fire band, and not the cops?

The cops assigned to filming this week and last on "Freedomland" are calling themselves the movie detail on YPD channel 3. Filming for 15 days in the AshburtonAve-St. Joseph's Avenue area at night.

Unless maybe somebody from YFD is assigned to this movie or another one where they are required due to pyrotechnics being involved. Anybody know please???

No, I'm sure it was Fire Band. I don't have the cops in my scanner.

Since it's a riot scene, they are probably lighting small fires and/or shooting off firearms, etc., thereby requiring YFD oversight....

Yes, they assigned a YFD officer to the Movie Scene.

all movie scenes indoors or out require at least one fire officer be present - in cases of pyrotechnics it would require at least one engine company - The officer's main responsibility is to ensure fire safety and in the case of outside shoots that the film crew does not unnecesarily block streets - and to advise responding units of any encumberances in the immediate area. They generally refer to this as the "Movie Detail" - also whenever dynamite is used within the city limits a FF is also required to be on scene and they are referred to as the "Blasting Detail"

Thanks billfitz, I was curious. Solid info

billfitz,

Thanks for the information.

Why wouldn't the YPD have the responsibility of checking that streets are not blocked? Only they can issue summonses anyway. And does the film crew have to pay the city for the presence of the fire officer? Los Angeles charges film crews to do so.YPD charges $68.00 an hour for Rent A Cop.

I have seen many film shoots in Yonkers where no fire officer was present.

And the film crews have a dangerous habit of blocking fire hydrants with unmanned vehicles in violation of the vehicle and traffic law. When "The Preacher's Wife" shot on Elm Street, there was a fire on nearby Walnut Street and YFD response was hampered due to film trucks blocking both sides of an already narrow street. Some film guy rescued a girl from a window after pulling down burglar bars while standing on a step ladder.

"Freedomland" retuns on Monday night to St. Joseph's Avenue. Prop NJ RMP's are parked now in Grant Park nearby.

Happy Weekend

Since the "Preachers Wife" and the fire on VCPA - there is always a fire officer - his main responsibility is fire safety but also to be in contact with responding units to direct them safely into the area and make them aware of any obstacles related to the film shoot - and yes we bill for the services