Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
X2321

Naming Rights for Police Choppers

10 posts in this topic

An upstate sheriff wants to fund his helicopter with advertising logos. I could see it now D & D Air 3 to county police assisting Yonkers with a shooting.

http://www.lohud.com...ext|Frontpage|s

Onondaga County has been facing bitter financial issues over the helicopter operation for a number of years and the Board of Legislators told the Sheriff that they would not fund the air operation in 2012 forcing the Sheriff to choose this path. It's a shame. The Onondaga Sheriff supports all of Onondaga County and the City of Syracuse with the helicopter and responds to adjoining counties for medevacs.

Perhaps if we all dig deep it could be EMTBravo Aviation??? :P

Why is it that politicians of all stripes find it so easy to reduce or eliminate essential public safety services and can never seem to find other non-essential resources to cut for savings?! I don't get it.

helicopper likes this

Because the public goes along with it, many,have the feeling "it will never happen to me". They like the garbage man because he comes and takes my trash every week, I just see the cop writing tickets or the firefighter sitting in the firehouse.

I agree that people " allow " funding for the emergency services to be cut partially due to the " It won't ever happen to me " school of thought.

We all know that thinking that way is a recipe for disaster.

So on the side of the chopper underneath where it says Sheriff will there be a large logo of the sponsoring business ?

I can hear it now - " This is air 1 sponsored by rice a roni the san francisco treat and we are responding to you perp search"

Incidentaly I happen to love rice a roni

Danger and 25truck26 like this

How 'bout the K-mart Fire Department?? They could do blue light specials :mellow:

x129K and PEMO3 like this

Let Krispy Kreme fund it and call the chopper the "Flying Donut" or "Glazed from Above."

i for one am against cutting any type of funding in any division of public safety as they are already underfunded. That said, I don't go for the corporate advertising, but I can see donations going to different agencies. Now there is also a problem with that as I think many municipalities will begin to count on those donations or sponsorships and then start cutting funding even deeper when the goal is to actually provide more or further funding. An interesting concept was brought up by one of the sherriffs departments and that was applying and using the choppers not only for law enforcement duties, but for medical transports, therefor generating a small bit of revenue. I say a small bit, because once you figure salaries, maintainance and fuel costs, you really aren't making alot. I personally would like to see some choppers used for several services, some already are. doesent westchester county not just do law enforcement but search and rescue? why not get funding from both sides there as the chopper is used for both? same goes for medical transports, ifobviously if a helicopter is being used at the time for a transport, it cant be used for LE purposes, so you scale back the transport area. I know that is going to also bring up the issue of, if the helicopter is only used for short hauls then why not just transport by ground. The system wont be perfect, but it can be refined and fine tuned eventually but I honestly cant see losing a chopper to budget cuts. We lost Trooper 1 for a bit here in CT I dont think it was fair to the citizens or the cops, but that's just my opinion

An upstate sheriff wants to fund his helicopter with advertising logos. I could see it now D & D Air 3 to county police assisting Yonkers with a shooting.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20111226/NEWS/312260061/Sheriff-hawks-naming-rights-helicopter?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

"Air 3, Better Run To Duncan, the perp is heading there. Also A large just milk, and a order of hash browns please on your way in."