Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

Upstate NY FD Contracts With Rochester FD For Progressive Changes

7 posts in this topic

Brighton votes for fire service changes

News Article

BRIGHTON — The Town Board on Wednesday night voted for the city of Rochester to take over fire and emergency medical services in the West Brighton Fire District.

In a 5-0 vote, it authorized the town administration to negotiate a contract with the city.

The city has proposed a $750,000-a-year contract that would increase by 3 percent per year. The city would commit to back-to-back five-year contracts for a total of 10 years and would give Brighton two years notice if it chose not to renew the contract after 10 years.

Under the contract, the city would man the fire district's main station on West Henrietta Road with a full company of four firefighters and a city truck.

But the board also said it will negotiate a separate contract with West Brighton for volunteer firefighters who would back up the city crew and be prepared to go on calls with a second truck if the city crew is on assignment.

Brighton Supervisor Sandra L. Frankel said public safety was a key consideration for the town.

Going back a few years, I actually used to work with the men and women of the West Brighton Fire District. They work hard and do a great job. My affiliation with them was with the Monroe County 5th Battalion Water/Ice Rescue Team. We did a great job, and the were a vital component to the team (with this new decision from the town I really don't know what will happen as to the water rescue stuff). It's a shame to see this happen to a volunteer company. Volunteers carry so much pride in protecting their communities, it really saddens me to see a volunteer (or combination) department go under in this fashion.

I just read about this very progressive move. Does anyone know how it is working out?

It seems like departments in the Rochester and Syracuse areas of the State are very progressive.

I wonder why similar departments elsehwere in the State can't follow suit?

Imagine if something like this were to happen in Westchester County?? I can only imagine the hissy fits that would be thrown. Good for them,glad to see people stepped up to the plate and made things happen.

On a side note. How will RFD provide these FF's? do they plan on hiring new ones or just adding more hours to the current FF's?

E106MKFD and tglass59 like this

The Monroe County Fire Wire (www.mcfw.com) and the Democrat and Chronicle (democratandchronicle.com) usually have updates. I haven't seen any myself since the announcement, though.

Imagine if something like this were to happen in Westchester County?? I can only imagine the hissy fits that would be thrown. Good for them,glad to see people stepped up to the plate and made things happen.

Unfortunately your right. When (if ever) will a true leader emerge here in Westchester who can make these changes. It seems unlikely that leader will be a politician, so my guess it will be from within the fire service. There is so much talk on this board (and outside of the forums as well) about these big changes which are needed, but it's just that, talk. Should we expect this posturing to go on for another five years, maybe ten, maybe more?

Eventually all this talk has to end and someone has to step up and take the reigns. Anyone can brainstorm ideas. Hell, you don't even need to be in the fire service to do that, but who is going to coalesce the stakeholders needed into turning ideas into actions?

I doubt we need another thread about what "should happen." Maybe the next thread addressing this will offer some concrete evidence of progress. Or not.

Bnechis likes this