Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Hudson Valley Departments are Key in NYC Terror Attack Response

37 posts in this topic

IF NYC can ensure such accountability why can't every department that requests mutual aid on a daily basis expect the same. We need to enforce consistency on every incident, instead of just planning for the "big one"

Great Point. yes we need consistency on every incident!

But before one can expect consistency from mutual aid, doesn't one need to establish consistency within ones own district?

Sorry to say, but! It looks like counties north of the city Have a problem with representation. Law inforcement overshadowed fire and especially EMS. Where was the EMS representatives besides Transcare and 1 volunteer. The Senator's CHIEF OF STAFF didn't even recognize (EMS). That in my opinion is a HUGE ISSUE? It's looks as if EMS is going to have problem. This could be a reason for low EMS involvement. Can't blame them.

ny10570 likes this

Great Point. yes we need consistency on every incident!

But before one can expect consistency from mutual aid, doesn't one need to establish consistency within ones own district?

I agree that protocols start internally, but my point is that within district we need to establish same criteria, especially regarding training criteria, minimum staffing and elapsed time for above to ready to respond to any call for mutual aid. This will then need to be audited by an external source such as county dispatch. that would at least then allow for better planning and reasonable expectations of what is available within the district.

I agree that protocols start internally, but my point is that within district we need to establish same criteria, especially regarding training criteria, minimum staffing and elapsed time for above to ready to respond to any call for mutual aid. This will then need to be audited by an external source such as county dispatch. that would at least then allow for better planning and reasonable expectations of what is available within the district.

Training Criteria is partially up to the district, but the reality is their are TWO minimum standards in NYS. A career standard and a volunteer one. This is the main reason the FDNY plan only has career ff's on mutual aid.

Minimum Staffing - These have existed on a national level for over 100 years. Local depts. either ignor them...Because "we know whats best here" or the politicians are unwilling to support the FD's staffing needs (this includes consolidationg to get the proper manning).

Response time - These have also existed on a national level for over 100 years. We need to stop hiding behind: "we are doing the best that we can"

Before we can worry about meeting them for M/A....we need to get it right at home.

helicopper likes this

Training Criteria is partially up to the district, but the reality is their are TWO minimum standards in NYS. A career standard and a volunteer one. This is the main reason the FDNY plan only has career ff's on mutual aid.

Boy is that a slap in the face to every volunteer firefighter in New York State. Although I;m not sure if I was a officer on a engine or truck if I would be very secure in facing some of the hazards present in NYC. How many people are familar with the NY Subway system? Firefighting on bridges and tunnels, H style apartment buildings, taxpayers, hi rises, etc