Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masterofmetal85

Mohawk Ambulance

9 posts in this topic

How is it working for them? And what exactly do they do? (911, transport etc)

Do you know their rate of pay for paramedics?

Not sure on the pay rate for their medics, but they have it pretty well right now, and are continuing to grow and receive contracts. They cover a large area of upstate New York, including having the main 911 contract for the City of Albany I believe. They handle both 911 calls and transports, and do many Long Distance Transports for hospitals such as Albany Medical Center. Overall the company is doing very well from what I understand.

Just check out their website... Mohawk Ambulance Service.

I don't know what their pay-scale is, but their website does a good job of explaining their 40 year history and the types of service they provide.

http://www.mohawkambulanceservice.com/

When I was living up there in the 90's they were doing 911 in the cities of Albany, Schenetady, Watervliet and Troy (Troy operates their own ambulances now). They also provided 911 and transport to many of the nursing homes in the three counties (Albany, Schdy & Troy). They also had contracts for the Saratoga Race Track and the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC). (I don't know if they still cover SPAC). MAS also provided transport for the Albany Childrens Hospital with a specialized transport ambulance (for NICU/PICU emergency transports) which they supplied a driver and the hospital provided the staff. They have expanded recently to have fly cars, my guess to cover the rising requests for ALS intercepts from the rural volunteer services in upstate NY. (Some who had transport times of 45+ to the closest ED).

They went union several years back, I do not know if they still are. Prior to that, pay was lower than average (especially compared to downstate), but was comparable to what the other area agencies were paying (Empire, Capital District, etc). I have not talked to anyone there recently, so I can't say if pay has improved or if the union is still there.

I had 20 friends that worked there, they had a blast! Much better than Crapital Cities lol

Having worked there, I got some great experience but wouldn't tell other people to work there. The pay for EMTs sucks and so does the management. There a TON of non emergency transports, but they do all the 911 transports at a BLS level in the City of Albany. PM me if you want more info...

My daughter worked there in early 2000's . She worked mainly out of Schnectady Firehouse's, very busy job for the few years she had there inculding the Chirsmas day murder's arson/gunshot [ 5 DOA ] and the ship that fliped on it's side in the Port of Albany.

My daughter worked there in early 2000's . She worked mainly out of Schnectady Firehouse's, very busy job for the few years she had there inculding the Chirsmas day murder's arson/gunshot [ 5 DOA ] and the ship that fliped on it's side in the Port of Albany.

The Stellamare. That was one hell of a boat accident!

PCFD ENG58 likes this