Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DWC295

Ford E Series to be discontinued in 2013

9 posts in this topic

Found this article today. My link

For a couple of generations, the Ford Econoline van has been as much a part of the landscape as, well, a Lincoln Town Car. But like the Town Car, the Econoline — now known as the E-Series — is being killed off.

It’s not because of flagging sales. The E-Series has owned the big commercial van segment for more than three decades. Ford will try to hold onto that with the replacement, a Sprinter-style, high-roof van called Transit that Ford already sells in Europe. It will get 25% better fuel economy, is far lighter than the E Series, and Ford can see efficiencies from having a single global design.

thank god and good riddance.

My job has begun the process of spec'ing a new rig and the first cab and chassis to be ruled out was the E series.

Our current rig is a GMC4500 and our spare is an E-series, funny both cab and chassis models have been discontinued.

We are thinking either Ford or Dodge extended cab and chassis similar to what FDNY is going to.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

The van chassis is one of the biggest mistakes to take hold in EMS. They are horrible for crew comfort and safety. Every time someone has tried to defend them their argument rests on a perceived cost savings that I have yet to see proven.

Good riddance.

kinda gonna miss the E-series. Every ambulance I have worked in has been a Ford. Granted they could be a little more roomy.

I like the new design- it will just add onto all the different-looking trucks around now. With the CAT vocational truck, and the Nissan box/van trucks, it will just fit in.

This is the replacement.

My link

Looks like the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter vans some ambulances are using.

Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter-AEV-Ambulance-4.jpg

I currently work for Acadian Ambulance. We've been changing out all our MiniMod (van chassis boxes) with the Mercedez Sprinter with the exception of our CCT trucks, which will remain on Frazer Chevy 4500 Duramax.

I hate the sprinters. There's hardly any work room....granted AEV has since made some adjustments to make more "room". It really hasn't changed much. Most the employees are torn between them. bout 50/50 in liking them or hating them. The only thing I like about the Sprinters is the head room in the cab, the ability to stand up in the back and the A/C is phenomenal. Other than that, using them as an ALS emergency unit is a pain, with all our ALS gear, a patient, the paramedic and possible riders to assist, it get VERY crowded in the back. I much rather have a Frazer / Wheeled Coach unit with plenty more room.

I work the South East Texas Region. Currently our truck is a Frazer only until remount....at which point it will be shipped to Dallas or Houston (new markets) for CCT and we'll get a Sprinter.

post-21658-0-88263300-1328313241.jpg

post-21658-0-11874700-1328313262.jpg

BigBuff likes this