Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ocff75

pin jobs

5 posts in this topic

The combi-tool Sucks for pin jobs .The West Point Fire Department Squad/Engine Co. 4 took it out of service . Nassau County Police ESU took it out of service too.

Could you elaborate as opposed to just saying it sucks and that people are taking it our of service? Is there a reason for it's being pulled? Is it a recall situation for defects? Design flaw?

They are good for somethings taking up space. For real if you have a little pin job or something that is not a major pin job. Personally I think that a deptartment should have both a set of cutters and spreaders becuase that comb tool can not do everything

Agreed... Combi tools aren't necessarly a replacement for a full set of tools... However there is also a slightly different way of using them... Thanks to Matt at AAA who sold us ours (It's on E-248 not R-36) myself and a few guys on the department can take just about any car apart in comperable time. Taking a door or a roof job is easily accomplished.... The combi tool does start to lose some of its capabality on cars that have sustained major damage through rollover AND high speed impact. But on these calls the combi tool is a great way to do hydraulic work on other parts of the car that need work but unfortuately can't be touched yet b/c the big tools are in use doing something else. Example... Access is needed for EMS to the pt. The spreaders and cutters are being used to free the door. The combi can be making roof cuts and taking the other door so that after the pt is stablized by the medic, easy extrication can be done quickly without having to wait for the big tools to finish the original task of getting pt access.

I have to agree with MFC2257 on this one. A combi tool can be used just as well as a 'full sized' tool if you know how to use it. I think that most people don’t want to learn how to use it properly; they think it is too small or something. In my opinion, the combi tool can be more effective in some cases due to its size and lighter weight. Once you know what you are doing with it, and how to operate it, you can do almost anything with it. If you have one, practice with it because you never know when your ‘real tool’ will fail and you will be expected to know how to use it. Failure to know how to use it and use it properly may cost someone their life.