Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lt411

Fire hose replacement

9 posts in this topic

At a recent company officer's meeting, the subject of fire hose replacement came up. We use a private testing company to pressure-test all dept. hose inventory ever year. In looking at the list, we saw hose that passed, but was more than twenty (20) years old. I see that NFPA is updating their"1962" standard in November, but I'd like to move before that. What is your department's policy on how long hose should be inservice? Thanks for your help!

Till it fails its annual test or is damaged (to the point we will not even test it).

we continue to use as long as it passes the annual testing ( third party)and or is damaged.

Depending on the damage, the hose is usually sent out for repairs (possibly shortened) and retested by the repaired (documented) and us before placed back in service.

We have found that shortened lengths of hose has it's place in alternate modes of operation... as pony suctions, dewatering pumps, supply line from rig to rig, trash lines not intended for use on tural attack lines.

Most of our 1.5" and 3" was purchased in mid 70's

The oldest 1.75" is about 1994

The oldest 2.5" is about 94 as well.

The oldest 5" is 1997.

FDNY replaces hose at 10 years, each year Companies send list with hose expiring that year and are sent replacement hose. Old hose is taken by tool room member upon delivery of new hose. Also our hose is tested annually by each company, if a defect or problem happens that length is taken OOS and gets replaced. Nozzles are also tested annually.

Edited by Mac8146

When you do replace your hose carefully pay attention to the outside and inside diameter's. Each manufacture is slightly different. You get slightly different flows. I don' t wanna devulge the name of the hose we use other than it packs in the mattidale like ----. It kinks it' s heavy and we ( my company only) use a vacuum to suck all the air out of the hose to get it to lay flat.

I did some testing we used the task force digital flow meters it was interesting to see the change in flows from one brand to the other. Nothing earth shattering but none the less.

The way the hose is made with different materials changes the inside diameter.

grumpyff likes this

As above until it fails testing or is damaged. We have shortened up several 1.75 and 2.5 lengths to about 10 feet to put in our crosslays that connect directly to the plumbing. It's much easier to add lengths whent he coupling is right there instead of walking 50 feet out.

@ Lad45der you use a vacuum to flatten the hose? As I'm sure it works, is this done for the parades ;)

Every manufacturer should know the coefficient for their hose which is important to get accurate friction loss calculations for using the hose instead of the general coefficients found in text books.

We use it until it fails testing or has a defect found during use. Only thing I would caution for those who have it is using LDH storz connections without the safety locks. Not a overly high risk but they were added in the NFPA standard years ago because of several incidents where due to the twising action of the hose can come loose.

@ Lad45der you use a vacuum to flatten the hose? As I'm sure it works, is this done for the parades ;)

We don't pack hose for parades. The hose we use packs very crappy. The hose sits on the next layer to high due to all the air in the hose. So the hose wants to sit higher than the dividers.

My company prides itself in neat hose to furnish a kink free deployment. We use 2" hose with smooth bore nozzles with a 1" tip.

Our company always rotates the hose from the bottom layer To the top layer when we repack the hose.