Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
50-65

BEMS Update of BLSFR

8 posts in this topic

I was recently reading the HVREMSCO website (www.hvremsco.org) when I saw the notice that BEMS was requiring all BLSFR agencies to update their info or lose their agency code. While I didn't think that it had been that long since I was on their website, it is apparent that this came out in October.

In any case, we are not responding to the update request and are just letting ours go.

I was just curious as to how many departments in the area had once been a first responding agency that have given it up within, say, the past 10 years. Has this had an adverse impact on the residents of your district? Has anyone even asked?

I was recently reading the HVREMSCO website (www.hvremsco.org) when I saw the notice that BEMS was requiring all BLSFR agencies to update their info or lose their agency code. While I didn't think that it had been that long since I was on their website, it is apparent that this came out in October.

In any case, we are not responding to the update request and are just letting ours go.

I was just curious as to how many departments in the area had once been a first responding agency that have given it up within, say, the past 10 years. Has this had an adverse impact on the residents of your district? Has anyone even asked?

If all that's being requested is an information update why give it up? Was there some cost or something to the department?

If all that's being requested is an information update why give it up? Was there some cost or something to the department?

Its the other way around. Failing to renew means the DOH will no longer pay for your EMS certifications and recertifications.

We haven't run EMS calls in probably 10 yrs. We were still dispatched once in a while at the request of EMS if they felt we could get there first.

In our case, the volly squad was becoming more active and the paid service was putting more resources in our area. We would show up and there would be 2 ambulances already there. At the time, EMS was about 60% of our call volume. We do over 500 calls a year now without EMS calls.

The few EMTs that we have left with active cards all work for commercial agencies. So, the only thing we are losing is an agency code that would allow for reimbursement for recerts or new initial CFR or EMT.

Additionally, when we were responding for EMS calls, it was only for priority 1 and 2 type calls. As it was explained to me, the state does not allow for that type of dispatch. It is supposed to be all or nothing.

Additionally, when we were responding for EMS calls, it was only for priority 1 and 2 type calls. As it was explained to me, the state does not allow for that type of dispatch. It is supposed to be all or nothing.

My fire dept. has an agency code and responds only to priority 1 calls. The state does not dictate your responses. They do however require your department to do at least 1 bls pcr a year. So no its not "all or nothing".

Jim

My fire dept. has an agency code and responds only to priority 1 calls. The state does not dictate your responses. They do however require your department to do at least 1 bls pcr a year. So no its not "all or nothing".

Jim

This from the BLSFR Packet:

Respond whenever possible to any medical emergency, standby or other public need as determined by county 911 dispatch, and provide prehospital medical care at the Basic Life Support (with Defibrillation or PAD) Level of care, within the {ZZZ} response area.

This from the DOH BEMS Policy Statement 06-04 (emphasis added):

NYS EMS Agency Code

In order for a BLS-FR agency participating in a local EMS system to obtain an agency code number, the agency needs to provide documentation indicating the following:

Support from the Executive of the municipality (village, city, town, county) for the territory covered. This may be a mayor, supervisor, board of commissioners or the chairman of a fire district and must be documented in writing.

AND

Document being publicly dispatched and providing primary EMS response on a regular and ongoing basis to public emergency medical needs, as defined by 3001(l) of the Public Health Law.

As REMSCO explained it to me, you can't pick and choose which calls you will be dispatched to.

The portion you emphasized says that you need to respond to EMS calls in a "regular and ongoing basis", it doesn't state that you need to respond to ALL calls, so I'm still failing to see the "all or nothing" connection. As a part of the application process to be a BLSFR agency, the State BEMS requires you to provide:

"A description of the BLS First Response activities you provide. This should include the specifics of your response plan, method of dispatch and operating frequency, confirmation of adherence to State and Regional BLS protocols, number and type of response vehicles, equipment carried on your response vehicles, and number of personnel with level of training of your agency members."

Even the statement that you emphasized appears like so on the BEMS website: Evidence that your agency has municipal authority and is providing "primary EMS on a regular and ongoing basis". It appears in quotations, leading me to believe it is not a steadfast rule and is open to interpretation by the State BEMS representative(s) who are processing your BLSFR application.

Now the HVREMSCO may have in issue with BLSFR agencies responding to only priority jobs, because once your application has been reviewed by the State, the local regional council must provide a letter of endorsement:

Once your service has completed the application package and included the required supporting documents (proofs of municipal authority, public dispatch and written participation agreement with an ambulance service), your service will need to obtain a letter of endorsement from your Regional Emergency Medical Services Council (REMSCO). Your REMSCO must indicate in writing they have reviewed your response plan and endorse your BLSFR activities, affirming your participation in the local EMS system.

It could simply be, based on the last sentence in your post, that the HVREMSCO won't endorse your agency's BLSFR guidelines for response, which has nothing to do with the State BEMS.

Respond whenever possible to any medical emergency, standby or other public need as determined by county 911 dispatch, and provide prehospital medical care at the Basic Life Support (with Defibrillation or PAD) Level of care, within the {ZZZ} response area.

This from the DOH BEMS Policy Statement 06-04 (emphasis added):

NYS EMS Agency Code

In order for a BLS-FR agency participating in a local EMS system to obtain an agency code number, the agency needs to provide documentation indicating the following:

Support from the Executive of the municipality (village, city, town, county) for the territory covered. This may be a mayor, supervisor, board of commissioners or the chairman of a fire district and must be documented in writing.

AND

Document being publicly dispatched and providing primary EMS response on a regular and ongoing basis to public emergency medical needs, as defined by 3001(l) of the Public Health Law.

As REMSCO explained it to me, you can't pick and choose which calls you will be dispatched to.

You have the right to determine which is best for your district and system management. If this was the case there would be a lot more FD's getting out of the BLSFR business. Not to mention such terminology goes against national standards of tiered response. Why would you throw the kitchen sink at non priority jobs unless a unit wasn't available? And if you can not pick or choose...why isn't it a requirement to have ALS to every single call? I love when there are those who pass on info to agencies and people who pull it out of their @$$. Which on another note "regular and ongoing basis." What is that actually considered? A percentage of ems calls by total volume? Is it by individual? Pretty loose term. When's the last time anyone who is BLSFR only...seen a state rep? They were saying they were going to get a grasp on BLSFR and make rounds while they went hunting for money and started doing BLS agency checks and I have only heard of a handful of FR agencies that got inspected.