Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Online degrees

11 posts in this topic

I am looking for suggestions on on-line schools that offer emergency management programs...appreciate the input.

I've always been skeptical about colleges that are 100% on-line. Whatever you do, make sure the school is accredited by some entity that will insure your efforts are recognized.

One option you may want to explore is Empire State College. They have options for emergency management degrees and have both on-line and on-site coursework. They have a location in Hartsdale and are accredited as part of the State University of New York.

Good luck!

Here is a link that is done by the International Association of Emergency Management http://www.iaem.com/...alinfo/cem.htm. When I worked at NYC OEM a lot of people were going through this certification as it is top notch and will set you apart. Good luck

CEM is a top notch certification but it is not a degree. In fact, I think one of the prerequisites is a degree before you can start their program.

If you're working in emergency management, CEM is the way to go!

I was also looking into this and with my schedule is crazy, I was looking into getting my masters degree and Check out American Public University/ American Military University. The college is accredided and stuff. There per credit cost is a lot cheaper compared to other online schools. I Tried one class but droped it becuase I haven't been back in the school enviorment in about 10 years.

Also With undergrad work with APU the textbooks I think are included in the class fee.

If you want anymore info PM me

Chris

islander likes this

The IAFF is promoting Penn Foster College for online education. Don't know what degree programs they offer, but here is their info.

Penn Foster College

14300 N. Northsight Blvd., Suite 120

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

1-800-587-4450

Yes APU is very good, dont bother with Empire state there classes are outdated.

I am in the MA Emergency and Disaster mgmt program,I also added a certificate in Terrorism Studies onto it as well.

For Grad school one class will set you back 975 dollars. They also too have the choice to Audit the class too which is only 300 or 400 dollars. The nice thing with APU is you don't have to take the GRE exams.

The Grad class range from 8 weeks to 16 weeks.

At work they give us 4k a year for school remimbursment each year, So my feeling is let the railroad pay for my Masters.

Good luck

Chris

I was in an online MPA program for a short period, completed 2 classes, however, I am a traditionalist, and would prefer to find classes in a traditional classroom setting at some point in the future. As far as how some online programs work, I would reccommend watching thr Frontline Episode College, Inc. It is an eye opening look into what some of these schools do.

Im currently enrolled and working towards mine using Columbia Souhern University