Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
87D124

Unions in private EMS

108 posts in this topic

It doesnt seem like it is that hard to find employment in the EMS field around this area. You have SeniorCare in NYC along with TransCare and whoever else runs around there. You have Empress in Yonkers, Rockland Mobile Care/RPS in Rockland County/Tuxedo, Care1 in Dutchess, Mobile Life in Orange, Mobile Medic in Sullivan, NDP in Dutchess......plus you have the VACs that have paid EMTs (Port Jervis, Blooming Grove, New Windsor & Wallkill).

Now, back on the Union subject.............out of all the places listed above, only one is Unionized and that would be Empress. As I have stated in the beginning of this topic.........the employees of all of the agencies listed above would/could greatly benefit from being unionized.

Maybe when they see the benefits, they will motivate themselves to get the pay & benefits that they deserve for the HARD work & DEDICATION to their respective employers.

used to work for TC

senior care isn't hiring according to their website

neither is RPs empress or MLSS

used to work with hvp so care1 might be a little tricky to get back in

It doesnt seem like it is that hard to find employment in the EMS field around this area. You have SeniorCare in NYC along with TransCare and whoever else runs around there. You have Empress in Yonkers, Rockland Mobile Care/RPS in Rockland County/Tuxedo, Care1 in Dutchess, Mobile Life in Orange, Mobile Medic in Sullivan, NDP in Dutchess......plus you have the VACs that have paid EMTs (Port Jervis, Blooming Grove, New Windsor & Wallkill).

Now, back on the Union subject.............out of all the places listed above, only one is Unionized and that would be Empress. As I have stated in the beginning of this topic.........the employees of all of the agencies listed above would/could greatly benefit from being unionized.

Maybe when they see the benefits, they will motivate themselves to get the pay & benefits that they deserve for the HARD work & DEDICATION to their respective employers.

empress has a union yet their starting medic rate is 15.75

Exactly Sean...LOL

I d love to hear the rational how a union is an answer to my problem and has anything to do with that

Let me pose this question. (And in full disclosure, my EMS days are behind me, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, so I feel fairly unbiased towards EMS unionization.) Does anyone think that if EMS was unionized locally and on a larger and more organized scale, they would be on par (or closer) in terms of pay, benefits, working conditions, etc. to their IAFF and PBA cohorts?

I would say yes, but I'm open to an argument as to why they wouldn't be...

helicopper likes this

Let me pose this question. (And in full disclosure, my EMS days are behind me, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, so I feel fairly unbiased towards EMS unionization.) Does anyone think that if EMS was unionized locally and on a larger and more organized scale, they would be on par (or closer) in terms of pay, benefits, working conditions, etc. to their IAFF and PBA cohorts?

No guarantees and there's no proof that unionizing would help anything. In the 10 years I've been in EMS, the wages have remained flat and there have been no improvements in overall compensation. So clearly the current system isn't working. All of these companies are so busy undercutting each other for these 911 and transport contracts that there has to be someone making money on this. Unionizing all of the agencies would at the very least ensure that we were making the most these companies can afford to pay us.

Empress may only pay their medics 15.75, but what is their health insurance and retirement plan? Splitting the cost and matching some 401k contributions would make the compensation picture much more attractive. Similar to comparing transcare and FDNY EMS. They make more hourly, but after insurance, pension, and LOD benefits its not even close.

I'm in the same boat with regard to EMS employment but I would say unions aren't the answer but the larger more organized EMS would help advance the workers' cause.

There's no incentive for A-VAC, B-VAC, C-VAC, D-VAC, E-VAC, F-VAC to improve working conditions or standardize with the rest of the band-aid EMS agencies but a regional EMS service could dramatically improve things. The problem is it will never happen because EMS is worse off than both the fire service and law enforcement.

I'm in the same boat with regard to EMS employment but I would say unions aren't the answer but the larger more organized EMS would help advance the workers' cause.

There's no incentive for A-VAC, B-VAC, C-VAC, D-VAC, E-VAC, F-VAC to improve working conditions or standardize with the rest of the band-aid EMS agencies but a regional EMS service could dramatically improve things. The problem is it will never happen because EMS is worse off than both the fire service and law enforcement.

I agree. That was actually what I was suggesting. A large-scale approach, versus each agency or union local trying to accomplish it on such a small scale. I think a larger union, with membership from across the regional EMS spectrum could help push reform more effectively than a small group at a single agency. Unions give you organization and lobbying power to seek change that often cannot be accomplished by a few providers, no matter how well intentioned they are.

helicopper likes this

MLSS blows out Empress in pay starting out is 17.50+ at MLSS and 15.75 for Empress this is Medic rate. MLSS pays out of pocket for employee benefits and gives all employees 4 x 12 hour shifts so its guaranteed 8 hrs OT for fulltime workers. And MLSS is way more strick when it comes to professionalism and appearance /image then Empress. All this without a union.

I for one despise and loathe unions, so my opinion is biased and I'll stop with that. Theyre a bunch of mafia thugs who only push to sell their "product" which is a membership. They only care about themselves, gaining more members and how they can control and increase power. Employees should be given a choice whether or not to join a union when incoming to a company. I for one would cross the picket into work and punch in because the union isn't going to pay my bills.

Source please?

x129K likes this

I for one despise and loathe unions, so my opinion is biased and I'll stop with that. Theyre a bunch of mafia thugs who only push to sell their "product" which is a membership. They only care about themselves, gaining more members and how they can control and increase power. Employees should be given a choice whether or not to join a union when incoming to a company. I for one would cross the picket into work and punch in because the union isn't going to pay my bills.

Typical attitude of someone young and ignorant. Where's your so-called "proof" or "evidence" that union's are nothing but a "bunch of mafia thugs" Do you know anything about union's or have you been listening to the typical company mantra or maybe your a manager who's deathly afraid of unions? Crossing a picket line? It just shows low character and poor moral fiber on your part. So you go on line and trash those who want to have better working conditions in the workplace? Well Merry Christmas to you too.

I do agree with you on one part of your post; yes, your opinion is biased and you should have stopped right then and there as opposed to sharing your biased screed with us.

citystation1848 likes this

Are you possibly aware that perhaps the rank and file who voted on the contract felt that it was a wage offer theyf could accept? You could work for a company paying you $25 per hour and if you have no job security, the $25 per hour really has no meaning. Its not all about money, but of course I wouldn't expect you to comprehend that based on your followup postings.

Edited by gamewell45

So what's your point?

I can't speak to how this rate compares to the rest of that area, but a starting rate is typically just that - a starting rate.

The starting rate for EMS in the major city in my area (Pittsburgh EMS - all ALS providers) is in the same ballpark, but after 4-5 years they are somewhere in the mid-20s.

Regardless, the benefits of unionization do not lie solely in the $$ per hour an employee is paid.

ny10570 likes this

MLSS blows out Empress in pay starting out is 17.50+ at MLSS and 15.75 for Empress this is Medic rate. MLSS pays out of pocket for employee benefits and gives all employees 4 x 12 hour shifts so its guaranteed 8 hrs OT for fulltime workers. And MLSS is way more strick when it comes to professionalism and appearance /image then Empress. All this without a union.

It's pretty apparent that with your vast life and work experience you've never been part of a strong union or worked in a place that having a strong union..or in any case a union period to have 1 voice with a lot backing stops some utterly ridiculous, sometimes close to criminal actions from taking place. Just like the old EF Hutton commericial used to say when EF Hutton calls...people listen. For many of us when our union leadership calls...people listen and take action or through appropriate processes take action. Not sure what union you were exposed to, but I don't know what "power" you think is so important to them. They push membership because there is power in numbers to gain good for the greater..not individuals. By your comments that you loathe unions based on gaining more numbers, I'm going to assume then that you are not a volunteer or never have been. If there is one group that is into gaining numbers so they can retain, gain and have more control and increased power, its volunteer organizations. And to further educate you, anyone can cross a "picket line." In fact anyone in emergency services has to, to "punch in" as its illegal for us to strike under the Taylor Law. But I'm willing to put money down from reading some of your posts over the past weeks that you're one of the first ones to whine or complain about something. How do you think those things will get accomplished? Well if you have a union you have a group of people who should have access to management and things well above them to force action if its an unfair and/or unsafe condition. So while the union won't pay my bills, they will damn well make sure I'm able to pay my bills to get paid a fair wage, fight for fair raises, swim through the political BS of crying no money that is often said, and ensure I have protections and other fair employment practices for all. Do yourself a favor..stop watching TV and read about the advances that unions have made over the history of their existance and what they still do everyday for thousands of people. Your quest and constant banter about "starting pay" is exactly one reason why EMS has a hard time gaining a foothold or strong unions as many of you pay shop and float to many companies..which by the way their bottom line is to make money...so good luck ever making what the rest of us in the other emergency services branches make.

I mean this as no offense, but to be honest some unions I have to giggle and shake my head at and even more so, some of their members who talk union shop and then in turn volunteer where there are union firefighters. I've seen "pro union" people standing at a picket line in the same city or fire district area they volunteer in when its a combination department. This is why I for one had a very difficult time giving full support to the Verizon strikers. I know some great people in Empress, but they have several members who volunteer in areas where their own people work under contracts and where there are union firefighters. This may get some of you panties in a bunch...and that's fine I really don't care, but facts are facts and truths are truths. I'm IAFF and I'm damn proud of it..and I for one do not do work that other unions do, nor will I ever volunteer where other firefighters are working.

As far as the starting pay...how about telling us some other contractual items that are present. Contracts come down to at times compromise and common sense. And common sense tells me that starting pay is what it is and if you're negotiating a contract...you don't negotiate pay for those who are not even here. I remember an old saying when I came on the job at a very low starting pay..."sorry kid, civil service and unions eat their young and we don't negotiate for those not on the job yet." All that other stuff you brought up is great..now find it in writing where it has to stay that way. If it was union and in contract..then it is so until the agreement expires and new contract is drafted.

Edited by alsfirefighter
CFFD117 likes this

I for one despise and loathe unions, so my opinion is biased and I'll stop with that. Theyre a bunch of mafia thugs who only push to sell their "product" which is a membership. They only care about themselves, gaining more members and how they can control and increase power.

Yup and that's why my (33 man) Local raised and donated almost $15,000 to various local and national charities last year.
Employees should be given a choice whether or not to join a union when incoming to a company.
I guess you aren't aware that in the "right to work (for less)" states, membership in a union is typically not mandatory.
ny10570 likes this

Oh and those things you mentioned earlier are already passed into law. So fortunately for me I'm not a farm worker working off the books, then these laws will apply to me even without a union.

The things you are saying that are already passed into law...they were done so on the backs of unions pushing for them. And while they apply to you...let me know how you make out when its happening to you and you try to get it rectified.

I give you a golf clap on your speech about unions being crooks and you can post youtube videos. I wonder how they come to be...I only wish (if I actually had the time or care to do so) find some of the things I've dealt with in my career that without unions would have just gone unchecked. But hey...what do I know.

Do yourself a favor...I highly suggest you do go non union...or at least wait 2 months before your next urinalysis...cause your either smoking something or someone has been slipping something into your fox news kook aid.

ems-buff likes this

In fact anyone in emergency services has to, to "punch in" as its illegal for us to strike under the Taylor Law.

Is this a State law or Federal law?

Just curious because in PA, only police and fire are prohibited by law from striking. I know of a few EMS agencies in PA that have gone on strike.

I guess you aren't aware that in the "right to work (for less)" states, membership in a union is typically not mandatory.

Federal law prohibits mandatory membership in labor unions, however if you opt not to join the union (except in right-to-work states, where no membership/dues/fees are required), you are still required to pay a fee equal to what the dues and customary fees would be, unless you are an agency fee payer objector (see Beck vs. CWA), then you are only required to pay a fee based on contract maintenance/negotiations, etc which in most cases results in 15% reduction in the fees. New York is an Agency Fee Payer State.

Edited by gamewell45

Is this a State law or Federal law?

Just curious because in PA, only police and fire are prohibited by law from striking. I know of a few EMS agencies in PA that have gone on strike.

The "Taylor Law" or the Public Employees Fair Employment Act, is NYS Civil Service Law. I can't speak if there is a federal like regulation/law. As far who is prohibited..it cites any "public employee." So in NY it would depend on what type of EMS agency it is I would suppose. I'm not sure how it works with private EMS in regard to who they go to if they cannot settle a contract or have an issue with a violation and cannot get it resolved on their own. For public employees if we have a grievance or contract issue we can go to PERB...in turn we cannot strike.

I don't see an agency advancing the cause of the workers. Transcare is the 2nd largest employer of 911 units in NYC and they're last in employee compensation. I have never seen an industry that benefited the employees by consolidating. Bottom lines and executive bonuses all go up, but the employees usually get the shaft. Change will come once unionization spreads. I would love to see Empress employees picketing against a facility or community that chose another company over their services. I would happily join the lines and I'm sure many others would too. I really believe now is the time to push the issue. The economy is shot and now is the time to prepare for the turn around.

I don't see an agency advancing the cause of the workers. Transcare is the 2nd largest employer of 911 units in NYC and they're last in employee compensation. I have never seen an industry that benefited the employees by consolidating. Bottom lines and executive bonuses all go up, but the employees usually get the shaft. Change will come once unionization spreads. I would love to see Empress employees picketing against a facility or community that chose another company over their services. I would happily join the lines and I'm sure many others would too. I really believe now is the time to push the issue. The economy is shot and now is the time to prepare for the turn around.

I have been watching this topic, and have read the replys. There has been alot of look at empress being they are the only unionized ems agency in the area. So let me say a few things being I WAS a union member of IAEP LOCAL R2-20, as well as other members of this forum..

Yes, the starting pay for emt and paramedics are very low, but they also have a guarantee 15 percent increase over the next 5 years with a union contract. Where at other non-union places will give you rasies thru there normal standard practices. The union fought very hard to get what they had in their contract. A union is also good for standing up for employees rights, while not getting into too much details, this union has overcome many, many legal issues that if they were not in place, empress would not be a nice place to work. T-mac brought up a valid point to be a strong union and for that to happen every member must take part of it. there were many meetings that I went to where only 10 people showed up out of working force of over 200.

sadly empress union is not a strong as it could be, but the idea of having a unionized in the system works well if everyone comes the table, owners, and employees alike.

I left Empress for personal reason, and went to transcare. Where they are not unionized. I am happy here as well. I guess I just love the job. Wether Transcare ever goes union or not. If your a good employee, do your job, and have comonsense. I have seen your job is not in jeopardy with a non- unionized company, and even if you're in a union job it maybe in jeopardy, just harder to let someone go.

oh and then there's an article about SIEU union in some state (I have to look for the article and believe me I will) that in conjunction with the state leaders all democrat decided that if you're a parent on welfare that you've been declared a public worker in charge of caring for children because you're receiving state money to do so. They proceeded to take a portion of that incoming welfare money as "union dues". So, our taxes we pay for medicaid; a percentage is going to unions. Now there's legal precedence watch other liberal states follow

Are you possibly aware that perhaps the rank and file who voted on the contract felt that it was a wage offer theyf could accept? You could work for a company paying you $25 per hour and if you have no job security, the $25 per hour really has no meaning. Its not all about money, but of course I wouldn't expect you to comprehend that based on your followup postings.

Well money talks BS walks so yea its all about money, and there some companies like AMR in CT 1 location isnt unionized in bridgeport and they offer more pay so what are you saying theres no job protection. Common misconception spewed by union cronies thinking they can never get fired. I don't know about Empress benefits but MLSS a non union shop pays almost 2$ more an hour (still crap) but the company pays 100% of their benefits with a guaranteed 8 hours OT each week all this without a union. RNs start at 35-37$ + why can't empress match that with such a wonderful union. I'm in RN school and I don't care what nurses think I'll say it their faces EMS busts their asses way more then nurses ever will but yet they get 20+ dollars an hour more then medics and don't give me that BS its because of unions. And yea if I'm in a hospital and the nurses strike I'll be strolling right into work and punching in... say what you want ....God Bless America.

Holy cow. I have some bad news for you Mr Metal. Are you ready? Money equals representation in our government. My 50k/ year salary does not allow me to compete with the the billionaires for political representation. So I pool what little money I can afford with other people with similar goals to advance agendas that are beneficial to me. Its why I also donate to more specific PACs that address the issues that matter to me. Politics and politicians are corrupt. Business and unions alike are feeding into the corruption in a vicious cycle that makes the average individual less and less important. So until someone fixes the problem we are all forced to participate.

Those hundreds of millions the NEA spends represents millions of workers. A hand full of our corporate elite can outspend them and not even fell a hiccup in their bottom line.

You're anti-union youtube clip is abysmally innacurate. American workers, union and non-union, suck at saving money. The more we make the more we spend. We also are the very same taxpayers the ad claims we're robbing. As union wages go up so do non-union wages. So everyone profits and everyone pays, but in the end we all spend and accumulate no wealth.

x129K, helicopper and INIT915 like this

Youre Blind if you acctually think obama AnD soros has usa best interest at Heart so go ahead vote him in another 4 years

Show me one politician that has America truly at heart and not those who bout them into office. Again..stop sipping the network news kool aid and getting your views from 20 second quips on those channels.

You mention American values like sacred marriage...really? If marriage is sacred then everyone should have the right to do it. I mean inclusivity is an american virtue right? The same argument can be made for family values.

Also more pay doesn't = job security. Just ask oh about 9 million americans right now who were making pretty damn good pay. Nurses make more money because simply put it they are more educated. We were on the right path in the late 90's of making Medic programs Associates at a minimum..what happened..in many areas there were plenty of people who couldn't pass A and P. So what was the answer...dumb it down. Nurses do work just as hard..they juggle multiple patients with different needs. You can't compare the 2 because they aren't even close. They don't get to sit on a couch or lay in bed between calls. Why don't you take the time to truly educate yourself and see that private corporations and those that run them take millions in subsidies and suck tax dollars.

It's pretty apparent that with your vast life and work experience you've never been part of a strong union or worked in a place that having a strong union..or in any case a union period to have 1 voice with a lot backing stops some utterly ridiculous, sometimes close to criminal actions from taking place. Just like the old EF Hutton commericial used to say when EF Hutton calls...people listen. For many of us when our union leadership calls...people listen and take action or through appropriate processes take action. Not sure what union you were exposed to, but I don't know what "power" you think is so important to them. They push membership because there is power in numbers to gain good for the greater..not individuals. By your comments that you loathe unions based on gaining more numbers, I'm going to assume then that you are not a volunteer or never have been. If there is one group that is into gaining numbers so they can retain, gain and have more control and increased power, its volunteer organizations. And to further educate you, anyone can cross a "picket line." In fact anyone in emergency services has to, to "punch in" as its illegal for us to strike under the Taylor Law. But I'm willing to put money down from reading some of your posts over the past weeks that you're one of the first ones to whine or complain about something. How do you think those things will get accomplished? Well if you have a union you have a group of people who should have access to management and things well above them to force action if its an unfair and/or unsafe condition. So while the union won't pay my bills, they will damn well make sure I'm able to pay my bills to get paid a fair wage, fight for fair raises, swim through the political BS of crying no money that is often said, and ensure I have protections and other fair employment practices for all. Do yourself a favor..stop watching TV and read about the advances that unions have made over the history of their existance and what they still do everyday for thousands of people. Your quest and constant banter about "starting pay" is exactly one reason why EMS has a hard time gaining a foothold or strong unions as many of you pay shop and float to many companies..which by the way their bottom line is to make money...so good luck ever making what the rest of us in the other emergency services branches make.

I mean this as no offense, but to be honest some unions I have to giggle and shake my head at and even more so, some of their members who talk union shop and then in turn volunteer where there are union firefighters. I've seen "pro union" people standing at a picket line in the same city or fire district area they volunteer in when its a combination department. This is why I for one had a very difficult time giving full support to the Verizon strikers. I know some great people in Empress, but they have several members who volunteer in areas where their own people work under contracts and where there are union firefighters. This may get some of you panties in a bunch...and that's fine I really don't care, but facts are facts and truths are truths. I'm IAFF and I'm damn proud of it..and I for one do not do work that other unions do, nor will I ever volunteer where other firefighters are working.

As far as the starting pay...how about telling us some other contractual items that are present. Contracts come down to at times compromise and common sense. And common sense tells me that starting pay is what it is and if you're negotiating a contract...you don't negotiate pay for those who are not even here. I remember an old saying when I came on the job at a very low starting pay..."sorry kid, civil service and unions eat their young and we don't negotiate for those not on the job yet." All that other stuff you brought up is great..now find it in writing where it has to stay that way. If it was union and in contract..then it is so until the agreement expires and new contract is drafted.

Ah tsk tsk more judgmental then this I cannot be:

1) I worked in a union shop (citywide mobile response a private in the bronx) for several months it was a bs union that did nothing for me except deduct money out of my check everyweek. People were still getting canned for dumb stuff etc etc. So I switched over to per diem so as to not get the money taken out.

2) Volunteered 2 places in brooklyn and Staten Island most if not all my BLS experience came from there before becoming a medic and I loved...in fact just the other week I went to go fill out paperwork to get back into it.

3) As far as picket lines I don't really care if its EMS RN or a teacher I have a job to do I'm going to work I'll do it with pride, I'm not selfish

4) NEVER EVER WHINED about ANYTHING in public even if a thought crossed my mind I'm not selfish and not a crybaby. I was happy enough to have a job because if you knew me personally not having a job was a big deal to me. If my supervisor said jump I said how high and no I didn't have any military experience I was raised to be respectful and appreciative of any and all opportunities. If you don't like being taken advantage of in EMS buckle down and go to med school or become something else. I love EMS so much that even when done with RN school I still want a full time gig on a bus. Its the nature of the beast and I'll take the bad with the good.

5) I don't watch TV I read mostly and I formulated my opinion on articles based on pro and anti union

6) I think medics should be making more then nurses do for their hard work but they don't so yea starting pay is kind of a big deal

oh and then there's an article about SIEU union in some state (I have to look for the article and believe me I will) that in conjunction with the state leaders all democrat decided that if you're a parent on welfare that you've been declared a public worker in charge of caring for children because you're receiving state money to do so. They proceeded to take a portion of that incoming welfare money as "union dues". So, our taxes we pay for medicaid; a percentage is going to unions. Now there's legal precedence watch other liberal states follow

Thats an absolute scam and should be stopped. But are you trying to say its only unions and the poor that are scamming the system?? Everyone is doing it. Doesn't make it right, but you have to be honest and point out fraud on all sides.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/nyregion/04drivers.html

oh wow look at this a mafia connection to a union that never happened before?!?! and the same union leader who is connected to the genevese family had an issue with nyc forcing an illegal school bus strike in dec 2011 which bloomberg went to the feds to get an injunction on.

Lots of unions got deep in bed with the mob. Some still are. They did a great disservice to the labor movement. But again is labor the only criminals? How many business over the years have been found to willfully allow their products or practices to hurt and kill people. How many workers lives have been sacrificed in the name of profitability? You're not casting every business with the same blankets as you're using for labor. Why?

Well money talks BS walks so yea its all about money, and there some companies like AMR in CT 1 location isnt unionized in bridgeport and they offer more pay so what are you saying theres no job protection. Common misconception spewed by union cronies thinking they can never get fired. I don't know about Empress benefits but MLSS a non union shop pays almost 2$ more an hour (still crap) but the company pays 100% of their benefits with a guaranteed 8 hours OT each week all this without a union. RNs start at 35-37$ + why can't empress match that with such a wonderful union. I'm in RN school and I don't care what nurses think I'll say it their faces EMS busts their asses way more then nurses ever will but yet they get 20+ dollars an hour more then medics and don't give me that BS its because of unions. And yea if I'm in a hospital and the nurses strike I'll be strolling right into work and punching in... say what you want ....God Bless America.

There's a lot of reasons that nurses make more. Unions will not be a quick fix. But do me a favor and look at all the work rules and safety requirements for their employers. Who do you think got nurses their training standardization, staffing minimums, workday limits, infectious disease precautions, etc. These are all union advances. You can cross that picket line, but where do you think raises come from? Do you think hospitals really give up every penny they can towards employee compensation?? The hospital administrators job, their primary responsibility is financial stability. They need that hospital to run as cheaply as humanly possible. They'd do backflips if they could hire nurses for half of what they're currently being paid. The only thing stopping them from slashing your wages and benefits are unions. The fear that the nurses will all walk out in protest and shut the hospital down. Their greed vs our greed, thats all this is about.