Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
87D124

Unions in private EMS

108 posts in this topic

Ok, let me start off by saying that, this topic is not being started to anger the owners/managers of the private ambulance services. I have given a lot of thought to some posts made in a different topic about employees of the private services working together and helping each other out in different ways.

So, with that being said, an idea that I had to help each other out and to help employees throughout the private ambulance services operating the Hudson Valley Area (Orange, Sullivan, Ulster, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam & Westchester) is to try to get the employees to unionize themselves. Unions can benefit employees in several ways, from better pay to better working conditions(work hours, better/newer equipment, shift bids, seniority, station conditions, sick days, personal days, vacation days etc.) to better medical/dental/vision benefits, to giving the employees of the industry a unified voice. Even though everyone works for different companies, if everyone belonged to the same union, meetings between all of the employees could be held on neutral grounds & everyone could speak about the issues they have in their respective companies. Some people may be surprised that the problems/issues they have are common among all of the services. A large strong unified organization has a better voice than a bunch of non-unified smaller organizations. Look at the IAFF & IUPA. Even though the individual agencies have their "local" unions or PBAs, the majority of them belong to the larger "parent" unions.

These "parent" unions are very strong & when they speak, their voices are heard.

I know that I am going to have some critics for what I have posted. I know that the owners/managers of some or all of the ambulance services will say "they cannot afford higher wages/better benefits" or "if we have to pay higher wages, we will have to lay employees off" or "this will bankrupt the company & we will have to lay everyone off and shut down"

These things will be said to scare employees from even considering the thought of unionizing. It has been said, that in the past, some services (who are more anti-union than others) have "unofficially" fired/terminated employees for even mentioning the word "union" around the work place. Obviously, the employers cannot just fire employees for discussing/considering unionization, but there are other ways for them to get rid of employees. Those who have been on the receiving end of this know what I am talking about.

Some employees are treated very well by their companies, so they may not think a union will be beneficial. However, how many employees think they are worth more than what they are getting from their companies? We all work very hard at our jobs and deserve to be compensated properly & fairly. How many employees have been treated unfairly and wish they had someone with a loud strong voice to defend them against owners/managers who are not treating them fairly?

If you have answered "yes" to any of the above questions, then you should, at least and for your own benefit take some time to consider unionizing.

ny10570 likes this

Ok, let me start off by saying that, this topic is not being started to anger the owners/managers of the private ambulance services. I have given a lot of thought to some posts made in a different topic about employees of the private services working together and helping each other out in different ways.

So, with that being said, an idea that I had to help each other out and to help employees throughout the private ambulance services operating the Hudson Valley Area (Orange, Sullivan, Ulster, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam & Westchester) is to try to get the employees to unionize themselves. Unions can benefit employees in several ways, from better pay to better working conditions(work hours, better/newer equipment, shift bids, seniority, station conditions, sick days, personal days, vacation days etc.) to better medical/dental/vision benefits, to giving the employees of the industry a unified voice. Even though everyone works for different companies, if everyone belonged to the same union, meetings between all of the employees could be held on neutral grounds & everyone could speak about the issues they have in their respective companies. Some people may be surprised that the problems/issues they have are common among all of the services. A large strong unified organization has a better voice than a bunch of non-unified smaller organizations. Look at the IAFF & IUPA. Even though the individual agencies have their "local" unions or PBAs, the majority of them belong to the larger "parent" unions.

These "parent" unions are very strong & when they speak, their voices are heard.

I know that I am going to have some critics for what I have posted. I know that the owners/managers of some or all of the ambulance services will say "they cannot afford higher wages/better benefits" or "if we have to pay higher wages, we will have to lay employees off" or "this will bankrupt the company & we will have to lay everyone off and shut down"

These things will be said to scare employees from even considering the thought of unionizing. It has been said, that in the past, some services (who are more anti-union than others) have "unofficially" fired/terminated employees for even mentioning the word "union" around the work place. Obviously, the employers cannot just fire employees for discussing/considering unionization, but there are other ways for them to get rid of employees. Those who have been on the receiving end of this know what I am talking about.

Some employees are treated very well by their companies, so they may not think a union will be beneficial. However, how many employees think they are worth more than what they are getting from their companies? We all work very hard at our jobs and deserve to be compensated properly & fairly. How many employees have been treated unfairly and wish they had someone with a loud strong voice to defend them against owners/managers who are not treating them fairly?

If you have answered "yes" to any of the above questions, then you should, at least and for your own benefit take some time to consider unionizing.

Empress has been able to function for years with a unionized work force. Just about every hospital employee is unionized. Many nursing home staffs are unionized. Its time for EMS to step out of the backwoods and take care of themselves.

United Ems Workers is a union that formed last year aimed at bringing together EMS around the country much like the IAFF. FDNY's EMS union ( local 2507) has been actively involved in this as well as in Washington trying to move EMS from the DOT to the DHS. You can check them out on facebook. The United EMS workers fall under AFSCME which is the Parent union.

http://uemsw.org/

ny10570 likes this

Working union is really the only way to have any say over the terms and conditions of your employment. Non-union employees live and work at the behest of the company; New York State is an "employment-at-will state, so there are no guarantees aside from the federal, state and city discrimination laws, which are designed not to work in favor of the employee. With a labor contract, you'll what what the rules are at your job, you'll know what your base wages will be over the term of your contract,s o you'll be able to plan financially, you'll know what your benefits package will be and you'll have a mechanism in place to deal with issues that arise between the employer and the employee. Most of your colleagues in the public sector are union because they recognize the importance of collective bargaining and the job security which it brings.

To this day, it amazes me that people are so afraid of unionizing; of course the companies don't make it easier by routinely violating labor law, even though they know its illegal; those seeking to organize must remember that they are protected by labor law and the NLRB/PERB will actively pursue all valid charges filed. Now the companies will tell you that unions are responsible for everything from economic destruction to bad weather, but the fact of the matter is that they don't want you to have a say over your career since it means less control they have over your professional and personal lives.

I've always worked union my entire life, so I can testify to the benefits of being union; my son works for a non- union commercial ambulance company and I am fully aware of the low pay and horrible working conditions that those professionals have to endure. Unfortunately many of the employees are very young and naive and honestly think that the company will look after their best interests; they are sadly mistaken; the company will look after its own interests whether or not it benefits the employee.

Many of you who work commercial ambulance will no doubt give the company the best years of your life, health wise and energy wise, and while its not the complete panacea for all the issues, unionizing is a very good start. After all, you are owed something aside from low pay and horrible working conditions.

Just my two cents from a veteran union member.

ny10570 likes this

The one down side of a union is it makes it harder for the company to fire the "problem" employee. On the flip side it creates a disciplinary process that has to be followed to protect all employees.

x129K likes this

The one down side of a union is it makes it harder for the company to fire the "problem" employee. On the flip side it creates a disciplinary process that has to be followed to protect all employees.

What is your definition of a problem employee? I can assure you their version doesn't match yours. I've recently become very well versed in the details on NYCs civil service system. Its arcane and rife with bureaucratic inefficiency. Many of these delays were not instituted to by labor to protect employees. They are used by management to make the fight as painful as possible. To encourage employees to just take the hit. When you see someone languishing for weeks they are usually waiting for management to make their next move. A example from my world, management has 18 months from an incident to file charges. The member than has 5 days to respond. Management then has another 30 days for the next hearing. We would love to expedite the process. The scum bag that will eventually be terminated with nothing to lose loves the delay. They stay on payroll and keep collecting their checks for a few more months. The good worker that is just trying to hold onto a few days of vacation being taken because of a boss with an agenda has to slog through the same wretched system. So that even when you win, in the end you lose. We all hate the system and would love to sit down and take an honest look at changing it, but the city won't do that. All of our gains in this area have come through court ordered victories.

My definition of a "problem" employee is a employee who is constantly late, calls in sick constantly with out documentation, constantly goes home sick or family emergency so they can go to parties, does not restock the ambulance, and is disrespectful to fellow employees, patients and family / bystanders.

comical115 and x129K like this

I see no down side to the union, my opinion of course.

Keep in mind that its the company who hires the "problem" employee, not the union; the union has an obligation to represent the employee. Any employee can be fired for just cause, only the company has the burden of proof; no easy firings because the manager is having a bad day or has a personal grudge against the employee.

ny10570 likes this

My definition of a "problem" employee is a employee who is constantly late, calls in sick constantly with out documentation, constantly goes home sick or family emergency so they can go to parties, does not restock the ambulance, and is disrespectful to fellow employees, patients and family / bystanders.

Not to mention employees who negligent in providing proper patient care, and down right abusive to patients.

The union serves its purpose, but it is far from perfect. It's just like physicians at private clinics that call for chest pains but miss the obvious lower respiratory infection or the DKA. For each case they "dump" on EMS, they evaluate and treat 20 other people that without the clinic, would have just called 911.

Thanks to everyone for your positive posts regarding unions in Private EMS agencies. It is a pleasure to see that this idea seems to be gaining some ground. Many members will not post here, but even if they just read all the responses and pass them along to their fellow employees, it is good start.

I really hope that more members will post here & give us their thoughts or views on this topic. I know I stated in my original that the only way for employees of private ambulance services to be treated fairly and be paid what they deserve is to unionize. I took some time to read up on the UEMSW union website, this is the new union that the California AMR employees are trying to vote in to represent them. The power and unity of the UEMSW is becoming stronger and is quickly gaining national attention in the EMS field. It helps that the IAFF & the FDNY EMTs & Paramedics Unions are showing strong support for the UEMSW. I do support the idea of taking EMS away from the DOT & putting it under a more suitable Federal agency. Whether it is Homeland Security, Health & Human Services, NFPA or a newly created federal agency. This will help EMS throughout country become more standardized. So, EMTs & Medics across the USA get the same education, have the same protocols and the same scope of practice. The standardization of EMS across the Country will also help the unions in the fight for better pay and benefits for all EMS workers, both municipal and private.

Instead of waiting for the beaurocrats to figure things out, it would make sense for employees of the non-unionized private ambulance services to start at least looking into unions & fighting for what they deserve. I see no valid reason for not going in the union direction.

Empress EMS employees set the standard 15 years ago when they unionized. While being unionized isnt without some negatives, the good has far outweighed the bad. Empress is the top private ambulance service in the Hudson Valley area when it comes to pay, benefits and retention of employees. It would great to see employees of another top private ambulance services fromthe Hudson Valley follow the lead of the Empress EMS employees who blazed the path to unionization 15 years ago. Thecompany I am speaking of is Mobile Life Support Services. With over 300+ employees, their voices would be heard loud & clear if they were unionized. The employees of Mobile Life are some of the most hard working & dedicated EMTs & Paramedics I have ever met. They more than deserve to be compensated for the hard work & dedication, just like the employees of Empress are compensated for their hard work & dedication. Image the power of a union that had MLSS & Empress employeesas its membership? Just something to consider.

Thanks to everyone for your positive posts regarding unions in Private EMS agencies. It is a pleasure to see that this idea seems to be gaining some ground. Many members will not post here, but even if they just read all the responses and pass them along to their fellow employees, it is good start.

I really hope that more members will post here & give us their thoughts or views on this topic. I know I stated in my original that the only way for employees of private ambulance services to be treated fairly and be paid what they deserve is to unionize. I took some time to read up on the UEMSW union website, this is the new union that the California AMR employees are trying to vote in to represent them. The power and unity of the UEMSW is becoming stronger and is quickly gaining national attention in the EMS field. It helps that the IAFF & the FDNY EMTs & Paramedics Unions are showing strong support for the UEMSW. I do support the idea of taking EMS away from the DOT & putting it under a more suitable Federal agency. Whether it is Homeland Security, Health & Human Services, NFPA or a newly created federal agency. This will help EMS throughout country become more standardized. So, EMTs & Medics across the USA get the same education, have the same protocols and the same scope of practice. The standardization of EMS across the Country will also help the unions in the fight for better pay and benefits for all EMS workers, both municipal and private.

Instead of waiting for the beaurocrats to figure things out, it would make sense for employees of the non-unionized private ambulance services to start at least looking into unions & fighting for what they deserve. I see no valid reason for not going in the union direction.

Empress EMS employees set the standard 15 years ago when they unionized. While being unionized isnt without some negatives, the good has far outweighed the bad. Empress is the top private ambulance service in the Hudson Valley area when it comes to pay, benefits and retention of employees. It would great to see employees of another top private ambulance services fromthe Hudson Valley follow the lead of the Empress EMS employees who blazed the path to unionization 15 years ago. Thecompany I am speaking of is Mobile Life Support Services. With over 300+ employees, their voices would be heard loud & clear if they were unionized. The employees of Mobile Life are some of the most hard working & dedicated EMTs & Paramedics I have ever met. They more than deserve to be compensated for the hard work & dedication, just like the employees of Empress are compensated for their hard work & dedication. Image the power of a union that had MLSS & Empress employeesas its membership? Just something to consider.

MLSS blows out Empress in pay starting out is 17.50+ at MLSS and 15.75 for Empress this is Medic rate. MLSS pays out of pocket for employee benefits and gives all employees 4 x 12 hour shifts so its guaranteed 8 hrs OT for fulltime workers. And MLSS is way more strick when it comes to professionalism and appearance /image then Empress. All this without a union.

I for one despise and loathe unions, so my opinion is biased and I'll stop with that. Theyre a bunch of mafia thugs who only push to sell their "product" which is a membership. They only care about themselves, gaining more members and how they can control and increase power. Employees should be given a choice whether or not to join a union when incoming to a company. I for one would cross the picket into work and punch in because the union isn't going to pay my bills.

MLSS blows out Empress in pay starting out is 17.50+ at MLSS and 15.75 for Empress this is Medic rate. MLSS pays out of pocket for employee benefits and gives all employees 4 x 12 hour shifts so its guaranteed 8 hrs OT for fulltime workers. And MLSS is way more strick when it comes to professionalism and appearance /image then Empress. All this without a union.

I for one despise and loathe unions, so my opinion is biased and I'll stop with that. Theyre a bunch of mafia thugs who only push to sell their "product" which is a membership. They only care about themselves, gaining more members and how they can control and increase power. Employees should be given a choice whether or not to join a union when incoming to a company. I for one would cross the picket into work and punch in because the union isn't going to pay my bills.

Based on some of your past posts, it would appear that you could benefit from union employment.....

ny10570 and INIT915 like this

I worked at Empress before, during, and after the organization of the IAEP...so I have seen both sides...the increase in pay was nice...but I was a young guy then, I thought the pay was decent to start with...especially compared to the agencies that covered my home...(I lived in Dutchess, commuted to Westchester for 7 years)..but perhaps the biggest "benefit" was knowing that even though you were working for a FAMILY owned private BUSINESS, they could not get a wild hair up their rearends and just fire you on the spot...it HAD to be justified. And of course - as mentioned, it does offer protection to those who operate with the anchor down...problematic employees who truly didnt deserve the job. There was also the PRIDE associated with belonging to a "Union Family"...I mean, we were working in YONKERS for crying out loud - if THAT aint a Union Town, I dont know what is!

I still have my little IAEP pin on the band on my fire helmet...just 'cause.

Now would Mobile Life truly benefit from organizing? I have no idea...I dont know enough about them. I will say this; MLSS employees have the highest morale of ANY private I have ever seen. I deal with them now in Poughkeepsie and I have absolutely nothing negative to say about them at all..they are a very professional, well run company and the most important thing in my book - THEY HANDLE THEIR JOBS AND DO IT WELL. I hesitate to say we are spolied by them here...but damn close. LOL.

BUT if EMS wants to be seen as an equal service with police and fire, they need to UP the ante...they need to start holding themselves to a higher standard, be more professional, and market the JOB as a true equal 3rd service.

ems-buff and ny10570 like this

He's another young guy that was poisoned with a bunch of half truths and bullshit concerning the worst of union activities and history. Guys like him never experienced life without health insurance, OSHA, 40hr work week, sick leave, FMLA, and pensions. All of these and many more work place norms are a direct result of unions.

Unions only work when everyone sticks together. So line crossers are the lowest form of coward. You're absolutely right, unions don't pay your bills but how happy would you be working without anything I mentioned earlier?? Lots of jobs out there like that; migrant farm worker comes to mind. Good luck in your new career.

INIT915 and x129K like this

Dan (129),

I couldnt have said it better myself! I almost fell off my chair when i read your comments to the non-union guy. ;-)

I don't know MLSS from a hole in the ground, and from the past couple posts they seem like a great company. Their employees probably wouldn't benefit from unionizing if they are as good a deal as they appear. Unions are there to keep their employer honest. An honest and fair employer has nothing to worry about because the arbitrator would probably side with them in a labor dispute.

When we talk unionization lets be honest. The elephant in the room is transcare. Maybe care1 or other companies are problems but no one gripes harder that transcare employees.

x129K likes this

Yes, having a union could potentially make it "harder" to get rid of a "problem" employee. However, it should be noted that "harder" is a subjective term and does not automatically mean it would be an "arduous" or "impossible" task to terminate an employee. The type of employee you describe would be rather easy to terminate for cause - if the employer does its due diligence.

The reason many union employees don't get fired or end up getting reinstated is primarily due to the employer mishandling the situation. Typically, unionization brings a formalized disciplinary process into the mix. Too often, the employer "knee jerks" into whatever action they take and they end up paying the price for that - having to retain the employee that should have been terminated.

If the supervisors of the employee with the issues you described filed the appropriate documentation detailing every time the employee was late, deviations from company policies, inappropriate conduct, substantiate complaints about the employee, etc., then a termination for cause should be able to withstand a challenge. If they fail to do these things, then any problems with getting rid of an employee are because of the employer, not the union.

He's another young guy that was poisoned with a bunch of half truths and bullshit concerning the worst of union activities and history. Guys like him never experienced life without health insurance, OSHA, 40hr work week, sick leave, FMLA, and pensions. All of these and many more work place norms are a direct result of unions.

Unions only work when everyone sticks together. So line crossers are the lowest form of coward. You're absolutely right, unions don't pay your bills but how happy would you be working without anything I mentioned earlier?? Lots of jobs out there like that; migrant farm worker comes to mind. Good luck in your new career.

I could go on and on ranting and raving citing anecdotal evidence posting youtube videos and articles etc etc but I'm not its 1 am and my sleep deserves more attention then addressing ignorance behind pro unions. Go lie in bed with the devil (ie SIEU,NEA, UFT etc etc) they're all crooks , they all supported occupy wall street, they're all puppets of George Soros.

I don't know MLSS from a hole in the ground, and from the past couple posts they seem like a great company. Their employees probably wouldn't benefit from unionizing if they are as good a deal as they appear. Unions are there to keep their employer honest. An honest and fair employer has nothing to worry about because the arbitrator would probably side with them in a labor dispute.

When we talk unionization lets be honest. The elephant in the room is transcare. Maybe care1 or other companies are problems but no one gripes harder that transcare employees.

ThEy gripe so Hard yet Back in 09 a union was voted against at their employee meetings By their griping employees so go figure.

Oh and those things you mentioned earlier are already passed into law. So fortunately for me I'm not a farm worker working off the books, then these laws will apply to me even without a union.

I could go on and on ranting and raving citing anecdotal evidence posting youtube videos and articles etc etc but I'm not its 1 am and my sleep deserves more attention then addressing ignorance behind pro unions. Go lie in bed with the devil (ie SIEU,NEA, UFT etc etc) they're all crooks , they all supported occupy wall street, they're all puppets of George Soros.

Thats the best you have. I cited actual improvements enjoyed by American workers. Benefits you experience in your every day life and all you can say is unions are in bed with George Soros?!?!? Well business and conservatives are in bed with the Koch Brothers. That has so little bearing on this issue its comical. The recent payroll tax cut has more bearing than Soros or the Kochs. Hell Andrew Cuomo, the democrat is a bigger threat to NY unions than the Koch brothers yet for some reason you brought up Soros. So lets talk about Soros. He's a bleeding heart liberal and as close to socialist as you can get in a republic. He made billions as a cut throat capitalist. He shorted the UK to the tune of $10 Billion pounds. He nearly broke the Bank of England. If thats not capitalism I don;t know what is. He's widely considered the individual responsible for radically changing the way the UK handles it's international finances. Outside the US government, no one spent more money trying to turn spread democracy behind the Iron curtain. You can hate his politics, but you cannot question his love of this country and democracy.

Lets not forget Warren Buffet. The man so bothered by the fact he pays a lower percentage of his income towards taxes than his secretary he published his own tax plan. Masterometal, Mr Buffett, Mr Kerry, and every other multi millionaire pays a lower percentage of their income in taxes than you and I do. They pay tax rates similar to the working poor. The math is complicated thanks to our progressive tax rate, but with zero deductions I believe you have to make just under $48,000 per year to land at %15. As the first class of the new pay scale, even I was making 50k by my second year( (yeah, I spent more time on the bus than at home, but I made it) I defy any single individual to live any kind of "American lifestyle" in NYC on 50k a year. I can be convinced of a lot of things, but a few are rock solid. Evolution, the goodness of man, the beauty of life, the greatness of love, and that someone making 60k a year being taxed at a higher PERCENTAGE than a billionaire is a F*C*I*N* crime.

Social programs are debatable till the cows come home. Every single local, state, and federal regulation protecting employees is a direct result of union action. If you are so disgusted by unions I will personally pay for a one way flight to China. PLEASE call my bluff. PM me and we can be in front of a lawyer TOMORROW signing a contract guaranteeing you work in China for the next 10 years without the protection of the US government. Hell, I may even settle for you working non-union gigs in right to work states with the right concessions ;)

Sorry Masterofmetal, my weak connection has me lagging behin dyour posts. Please forgive me.

You're absolutely right. They voted it down, but I thought that was 2010. From what I understand they voted it down by a land slide. I'm also aware of the misinformation campaign that run by Transcare. In the end the gist of the argument became why give a union your money when you already have union benefits. There's a lot of truth to that argument. There is nothing that the employees want that the union could guarantee. NY's strong labor history has ensured that ALL workers unionized or not receive the same major benefits. Smaller things like dental, prescription drugs, vision, and healthcare are still negotiable. God damn socialists screwing up our agenda!!

Again you are acknowledging you benefit from the hard work of unions. I"m lucky, I make a lot more than most union employees. In many industries and for most union employees their dues actually have an impact on their quality of life. My monthly dues are covered in a good night out. Thats not a statement of pride. I am in many ways ashamed of my gluttonous lifestyle. Sadly, like most Americans I enjoy the indulgences my life provides. Vacations, alcohol, fine food, and ridiculous hobbies. Who would have thought Boston, a six pack of Fat Tire Ale, Swordfish, and a motorcycle would make me a glutton, but I'm living the high life this weekend.

Edited by ny10570
INIT915 and newsbuff like this

George Soros loves this country and democracy??? He's a damn communist against all classic American values: the centralized family, sacred marriage, law and order, the conservative stance on the economy etc etc and he loves America...am I living in the twilight zone??? What's next obamas the best president ever?? My heart bleeds for this flag and republic for which it stands in our current state and for its citizens who are so blinded with lies and skewered in their opinions

Obama, Bush, Ron Paul, George Soros, the Koch Brothers, the Tea Party, OWS, etc are all doing what they do in the genuine belief that its best for this country. Saying that ANY of these people are out to ruin it shows how biased and blinded you are.

skme318, INIT915 and SRS131EMTFF like this

Please explain

I'll go out on a limb and say he's referring to your many posts here detailing your difficulty in finding employment.

x129K likes this

Obama, Bush, Ron Paul, George Soros, the Koch Brothers, the Tea Party, OWS, etc are all doing what they do in the genuine belief that its best for this country. Saying that ANY of these people are out to ruin it shows how biased and blinded you are.

Youre Blind if you acctually think obama AnD soros has usa best interest at Heart so go ahead vote him in another 4 years

I'll go out on a limb and say he's referring to your many posts here detailing your difficulty in finding employment.

Granted may be so but be that as It may how does that mean i need a union or would benefit from One. The economy stinks jobs in ems are far and few Between here in Nyc. CT AnD PA HAVE some more opportunities so im looking Into that.

It doesnt seem like it is that hard to find employment in the EMS field around this area. You have SeniorCare in NYC along with TransCare and whoever else runs around there. You have Empress in Yonkers, Rockland Mobile Care/RPS in Rockland County/Tuxedo, Care1 in Dutchess, Mobile Life in Orange, Mobile Medic in Sullivan, NDP in Dutchess......plus you have the VACs that have paid EMTs (Port Jervis, Blooming Grove, New Windsor & Wallkill).

Now, back on the Union subject.............out of all the places listed above, only one is Unionized and that would be Empress. As I have stated in the beginning of this topic.........the employees of all of the agencies listed above would/could greatly benefit from being unionized.

Maybe when they see the benefits, they will motivate themselves to get the pay & benefits that they deserve for the HARD work & DEDICATION to their respective employers.

Exactly Sean...LOL