Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Volunteer Fire Departments in Massachusetts

7 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, since I'm applying to a lot of jobs up in Eastern MA, does anyone have a list of the communities that have volunteer fire departments in that area, or a website I could go to find out? I tried MA Dept. of Fire Services website and came up empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex, if you go to John Galla's Firenews site, on th department pages they list wich departments are volunteer, career, on-call, ect. Might give u a head start there in looking for their websites.

Metro Boston area is primarily career staffed, not sure how many in Plymouth or Worcester counties are combo or volunteer.

Here are some depts to check out.

Dover-Sherborn - Metro West outside of Framingham. I believe you need to be an EMT-B to apply.

Topsfield - North of Boston

Wenham - North of Boston

Grafton - Worcester

Rehoboth - Southeastern MA, EMS as well

Dighton - Southeastern MA

Other towns in the areas of towns above probably have a good chance of having combination depts.

Cambridge, MA has an auxillary dept. Link below. Support to CFD

cambridgeauxiliary.webs.com/

I have strong ties to both the Metro Boston area and the southwest suburbs. Some of the smaller "Metrowest" communities like Medway, Millis, Medfield, and Holliston still have combination depts. although more full time staff have been phased in over the years and stations manned. As another poster stated in some of the Metro area cities/towns there is a separate "auxiliary" which operates alongside the career dept. The auxiliary F.D. primarily fill support roles like air, lighting, and rehab, a few have operated a reserve pumper. Some of the Metro communities which still run an auxiliary, I believe, are Cambridge, Arlington, Somerville, Waltham, Woburn, and Medford.

I believe there is a "Massachusetts Call, Auxiliary, and Volunteer Fire Association" (?) which has all such departments organized by district/region for the various parts of the state.

Phil

I believe there is a "Massachusetts Call, Auxiliary, and Volunteer Fire Association" (?) which has all such departments organized by district/region for the various parts of the state.

Phil

I found that last night actually, great source. They a map of every town organized by career, volunteer, on-call, and combination. Thanks for the help gentlemen!

A few things that I can tell you about getting on the job in some of the Eastern Mass. career FD's ( Have many friends on the job in that area)....................Majority of them require residency, so if you are serious about getting on a certain department, I highly suggest you move there! 2nd...........There are MANY Veterans out there now who are gonna be ahead of you on the list, so be prepared to wait a while to get called if you do pass. 3rd..........I know you have a better shot at getting hired on certain departments if you are already a Paramedic.

Take EVERY civil service test you can! I tested all up and down the East Coast for both Fire and Police jobs. Had 3 job offers, and would have had more if I would have followed through with some of the processes. I wound up getting my top choice because I moved to the City and came out on the top half of the list.

Good Luck!