Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFPCogs

Iran: Strike or no strike?

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Iran is a threat to us here at home?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
  2. 2. Do you think a preemptive strike should be launched to stop Iran's nuclear weapons development?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
  3. 3. Should the US lead such an initiative?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not at this time
    • Undecided

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 posts in this topic

If Barack was smart, he would stand behind Israel, but I honestly don't think he would do so publicly, which is just plain sad. He has hindered our relations with Israel since taking office.

Why should be lining up behind Israel? What do we actually gain from having a democracy like Israel in the middle east? Since its creation Israel has inflamed political tensions and extrhemest rhetoric. For the billions in aide given what does it do for us? Turkey, India, Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, etc all offer military or political gains in the region. In Israel we are spending money to protect a people we essentially put there. That region has the same significance for Christians as it does Jews and Muslims. Why is there no push for a Christian state?

How would we react if Mexico decided to reclaim unoccupied land within the US because long ago that land was theirs.

None of this is a justification of the terror tactics utilized by Israels neighbors or any attempt to eradicate them, but I can see why they're pissed.

mvfire8989 likes this

How would we react if Mexico decided to reclaim unoccupied land within the US because long ago that land was theirs.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but I think Mexico has made great progress in reclaiming their land and then some. Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Mount Kisco, Brewster, Port Chester, Spring Valley, and all the other places overrun with illegal Mexican and Central/South American aliens.

CFFD117 and Stepjam like this

Not to hijack this thread or anything but I think Mexico has made great progress in reclaiming their land and then some. Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Mount Kisco, Brewster, Port Chester, Spring Valley, and all the other places overrun with illegal Mexican and Central/South American aliens.

We survived the plague that was Italian, Irish, Chinese and every other immigrant population. Oddly enough I'm in little italy, eating dumplings, and booking my train for March 18 to Boston. I do love my immigrants.

SRS131EMTFF likes this

We survived the plague that was Italian, Irish, Chinese and every other immigrant population. Oddly enough I'm in little italy, eating dumplings, and booking my train for March 18 to Boston. I do love my immigrants.

Don't forget, first the Catholics, then the jews and now the Muslims...oh wait....thats right, the Muslim plague on our country is here to end our American values...(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

Do you think this situation is a threat to us at home?

As we continue to capture would-be terrorists on a regular basis and, even though the media won't acknowledge incidents like Ft Hood a a terrorist attack, yes, a nuclear Iran is a credible threat on our soil.

Do you think that you as an emergency responder here at home face the possibility of another 9/11 type asasault due to our or our allies actions or lack of them regarding Iran?

See my previous reply.What our allies do or fail to do is another debate.

Do you think sanctions and an oil embargo will prevent Iran from aquiring nuclear weapons?

States openly oppositional to the US, such as Russia and China, will continue to undermine any sanctions.

Do you think we should return to the negotiating table with an openly hostile and traditionally dishonest regime? If so do we trust them to fulfill any agreements reached?

Negotiations did nothing to stop the Balkan War, made deposing Saddam Hussein harder than necessary, and legitimizes regimes like Iran. And any multi-national negotiations will involve the UN, so see my previous remarks.

Do you think we should strike unilaterally and destroy their facilities and means of production before a weapon is produced?

The production facilities are too fortified for conventional weapons to be introduced from our current positions. However, that computer virus that crippled their systems wasn't a college prank. 'Nuff said

Do you think we should encourage and/or support Israel (or other allies) in that type of operation?

Yes. If you didn't read it right the first time: YES! The biggest mistake in leaving our military presence in Iraq was how much it reduced our staging abilities in the rest of the Middle East. Think West Germany during the Cold War.

Do you think we should engage in covert operations such as sabotage of Iran's nuclear facilities and sources of funding?

Already being done, and if I heard right today, even Switzerland shut off their ability to make international funds transfers

Do you think we should engage in the assasination of Iran's nuclear scientists?

I think its reasonable to assume the Mossad has already been inserted into Iran and is actively engaging in this activity

Do you think we should encourage our allies to engage in such covert actions on our behalf?

Our allies have neither the money or the balls to engage their enemies these days. That's why we're always doing it for them

Do you think we should engage in open hostilities or even declare war should they close the Strait of Hormuz? If not then how about if they do indeed build the bomb?

We've been in a state of war with Iran since they invaded our embassy. Iran has no capability to project their forces much beyond their border, and will most likely harass and provoke us to respond. That'll be a big mistake

Do you think we should just leave it alone and insist our allies do the same to prevent a war?

USS Cole? 9/11? Too late,...

Do you believe there is another option or options? If so what are they?

Edited by EdAngiolillo

"spending money to protect a people we essentially put there" Hmmmm not sure what this means, bc last I checked the US really doesn't kick people out.

Israel is still I believe one of our biggest exporters of military equipment. An argument can be made that they have the, if not some of the best fighter trained pilots both helo and aircraft. Not to mention their infantry and SOG capabilities.

Plus the Saddam, Hamas, Hezbollah, Radical Islamic groups, and the crazies in Iran want Israel wiped off the face of the earth. All because Jews live there. Saddam before his demise would have loved to be known as the next killer of the Jews.

But you have to respect the IDF, they don't mess around, they will even tell you that if you shoot another rocket at them that there will be consequences, and yet when they do retaliate CNN jumps all over them.

If anything Israel is really our one real ally in the region. The Saudi's yeah they use our equipment, but would they come to our aid if we asked for it. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I took a national security class my senior year in college in 2003 and the topic was the Chinese procurement of an aircraft carrier which if anyone has read in the last few months is starting to reach operational level. If they get another one and build there navy up a bit, then you a war over Taiwan, and possibly China invading Vietnam.

EdAngiolillo likes this

"spending money to protect a people we essentially put there" Hmmmm not sure what this means, bc last I checked the US really doesn't kick people out.

We helped establish the state of Israel after WW2, in what was essentially an arab dominated area.

Israel is still I believe one of our biggest exporters of military equipment. An argument can be made that they have the, if not some of the best fighter trained pilots both helo and aircraft. Not to mention their infantry and SOG capabilities.

We may export a lot of military equipment to Israel, but how much of that do THEY pay for.

Plus the Saddam, Hamas, Hezbollah, Radical Islamic groups, and the crazies in Iran want Israel wiped off the face of the earth. All because Jews live there. Saddam before his demise would have loved to be known as the next killer of the Jews.

True, but this is a situation that the UN or western powers created.

But you have to respect the IDF, they don't mess around, they will even tell you that if you shoot another rocket at them that there will be consequences, and yet when they do retaliate CNN jumps all over them.

If anything Israel is really our one real ally in the region. The Saudi's yeah they use our equipment, but would they come to our aid if we asked for it. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I took a national security class my senior year in college in 2003 and the topic was the Chinese procurement of an aircraft carrier which if anyone has read in the last few months is starting to reach operational level. If they get another one and build there navy up a bit, then you a war over Taiwan, and possibly China invading Vietnam.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the UN or Western powers comment. I think it's a generic term that is thrown around and accepted way too much and I think it's incorrect on several levels.

Iran's infrastructure cannot handle going to war, Though it would be awesome to see the effects of the crater-creator put to use.

Remember this: "AN ENEMY OF AN ENEMY IS A FRIEND".

Now what happens IF Iran and some other country go at it and that other country threatens us at the same time?? Scary though huh???

We allied ourselves with enemies before, it can happen. (I hope to God it doesn't though!)

Edited by IzzyEng4