Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT-7035

AEMT-CC

13 posts in this topic

I am a member of a volunteer ALS agency in Broome County that utilizes and trains AEMT-CCs. Is it worth getting this certification? The local community college offers a Critical Care to Paramedic program that I could do later on if I decided to do the full certification. It would be great to get it now that I am sponsored by an agency, and can get ALS experience before deciding how far I want to take it, but the certification is only recognized in several counties in New York.

Note that this is not my home county, I am a BLS provider in Westchester and am up at SUNY Binghamton.

Edited by Keith Chason

Im one in CT. IMO strictly opinion, Go big or go home. get your medic. yeah as an aemt its something extra cool to do on a call prior to a medics arrival. But there's more to doing an IV or advanced airway or breathing treatment or D50 or narcan (depending on what standard your tough 1985 or 1999). you need to the physiology behind it, not just give a drug because the scope of practice says so. My volley town uses the aemt level and many other towns do as well as we are rural area. When i work in Waterbury (inner city ghetto) we aren't recognized but medics can still use us if there a little tied up. Is it worth it? Depends, if you use your basic skills a lot and know what your doing then yeah go for it. Many members who just volley one day or night a week who don't do the call volume, their skills show it and then to me its more of hindrance. Blowing lines and improperly placed combi-tubes causes more of a problem i think. Again just my 2 cents.

Don't waste you're time. If you're looking to become an ALS provider you're going to learn more and have more options/opportunities w/ a paramedic card than a CC card.

firedude likes this

I am going through a similar endeavor right now whether to go for my CC in the fall or wait another year when I graduate from college to go for my Paramedic. Have you looked into the option of bridge courses from an EMT-I or CC to a medic?

IMO, it depends on you, what you want, and where you think you may end up. I took the EMT-I class a few years ago as I was unemployed and had the time. Since I belonged to an ALS agency at the time, it didn't cost me anything other than time and gas money. In the Hudson Valley, it is pretty much useless, unless you have a partner willing to let you use your skills.

However, in many upstate regions, with long response times, long transport times, and the limited availability of medics, CC is often the top level responder and you are allowed to actually use your skills.

So, if you are thinking about staying upstate, it may not be a bad idea.

"But there's more to doing an IV or advanced airway or breathing treatment or D50 or narcan (depending on what standard your tough 1985 or 1999). you need to the physiology behind it, not just give a drug because the scope of practice says so."

I'm not sure there are two different standards for the CC. I know that the "I" calss in NY is based on the National Registry 1985 standard. As far as learning the physiology, it would depend on the class curriculum as to how much they get into this. Having had A&P before I took the "I" class helped me.

EMT-7035 likes this

I am a member of a volunteer ALS agency in Broome County that utilizes and trains AEMT-CCs. Is it worth getting this certification? The local community college offers a Critical Care to Paramedic program that I could do later on if I decided to do the full certification. It would be great to get it now that I am sponsored by an agency, and can get ALS experience before deciding how far I want to take it, but the certification is only recognized in several counties in New York.

Note that this is not my home county, I am a BLS provider in Westchester and am up at SUNY Binghamton.

Keith,

If you're in a system now where the Crtical Care Technician can be used and your agency uses them, it may be useful to you but only you can determine that. The CC level is not really recognized in the Hudson Valley anymore but as others have said, it still is in other parts of the state. If the local community college offers a bridge course, you have an option for going from CC to Paramedic in the future so that's a good thing.

You have to look hard at all the training, opportunities for employment (paid or volunteer) up there and/or down here, time required for each, and what you want to do with the training in the long run. Consider all those things and make your decision. Don't let the limited opportunities down here stop you from exploring something that you may enjoy.

If the CC course is 1000 hours and the bridge to Paramedic course is 1000 hours but the medic course by itself is 1500 hours you have to decide how valuable that 500 hours is to you. I made up these numbers just to illustrate the point!

Good luck in whatever program you choose!

EMT-7035 likes this

At this point, I am not planning on staying upstate after college, but I am currently a freshman and am looking at taking it next year. @GBFD111, Broome Community College offers a medic program and allows AEMT-CCs to jump in halfway through to get the full cert. In terms of getting AEMT-I (85 or 99) BCC also has an AEMT-I program, which I considered, but it is my understanding that they no longer offer it. And as for the jump from AEMT-I to Medic, I haven't seen anything, but that doesn't seem to be the route I would take anyway.

I do have a biology requirement for my major (Computer Science) so maybe I'll try to take an A&P class and kill two birds with one stone.

There is a huge difference in the type of program you take. I am in CT and I started as an EMT a few years ago. I then took an EMT-I class which taught to either the EMT-I 85 LEVEL OR THE EMT-I 99 level depending on which level you wanted to achieve. Assessment is a large component of ALS skills. Narcan in certain individuals can be deadly. I feel that if you are going to be administering pre-hospital medications to individuals, you should be trained to the highest levels. I understand that some volunteer services in a lot of rural areas cannot afford that. If people want EMS to be taken seriously, then levels of acceptable responsibility should be taken.

There is a huge difference in the type of program you take. I am in CT and I started as an EMT a few years ago. I then took an EMT-I class which taught to either the EMT-I 85 LEVEL OR THE EMT-I 99 level depending on which level you wanted to achieve. Assessment is a large component of ALS skills. Narcan in certain individuals can be deadly. I feel that if you are going to be administering pre-hospital medications to individuals, you should be trained to the highest levels. I understand that some volunteer services in a lot of rural areas cannot afford that. If people want EMS to be taken seriously, then levels of acceptable responsibility should be taken.

I would assume that the training accounts for this concern no? I mean even for EMT-B with basic drugs we went through the indications and contraindications for each, and briefly touched on the physiology why... Am I wrong in assuming that this is also the case with AEMT-CC?

Depends on the region and whether you plan to do it as a career.

In the REMO region (Albany area), the system depends on AEMT-CC's and many agencies employee CC's and Paramedics (they serve the same position). Nassau and Suffolk counties also have a lot of CC friendly agencies.

However, if you go downstate into NYC, you will basically never have a job workings as a CC: most places only hire paramedics.

The growing trend seems to be limiting CC's and pushing the higher level of care Paramedic education. 10 years ago, there were a lot more agencies that were CCT friendly but that is becoming few and far between.

If you are doing it just for fun and don't have the time for a Paramedic education, CC may be the way to go (significantly less hours).

If you get your CC you can also bridge up to paramedic at SUNY Cobleskill/Bassett Healthcare which is a great option if you are serious about a career in EMS.

I guess in the long run, I would envision the employment of CC's to end. There has also been talk at the DOH agencies and REMACs of getting rid of the CC level or care, although never approved. However, many REMACs have eliminated protocols for CC's.

I was a CC and bridged up to paramedic and think it was a fantastic decision. If you are serious about your career you should def strive to obtain the highest certification/education available.

just some thoughts,

helicopper and firedude like this

Let's not confuse the levels here. EMT-Intermediate is not the same thing as a Critical Care Technician (AEMT-CC). EMT-I is about 75 hours above EMT (in NYS) while the CC is 300-400 hours including clinical rotations and other required components.

Depends on the region and whether you plan to do it as a career.

In the REMO region (Albany area), the system depends on AEMT-CC's and many agencies employee CC's and Paramedics (they serve the same position). Nassau and Suffolk counties also have a lot of CC friendly agencies.

However, if you go downstate into NYC, you will basically never have a job workings as a CC: most places only hire paramedics.

The growing trend seems to be limiting CC's and pushing the higher level of care Paramedic education. 10 years ago, there were a lot more agencies that were CCT friendly but that is becoming few and far between.

If you are doing it just for fun and don't have the time for a Paramedic education, CC may be the way to go (significantly less hours).

If you get your CC you can also bridge up to paramedic at SUNY Cobleskill/Bassett Healthcare which is a great option if you are serious about a career in EMS.

I guess in the long run, I would envision the employment of CC's to end. There has also been talk at the DOH agencies and REMACs of getting rid of the CC level or care, although never approved. However, many REMACs have eliminated protocols for CC's.

I was a CC and bridged up to paramedic and think it was a fantastic decision. If you are serious about your career you should def strive to obtain the highest certification/education available.

just some thoughts,

I completely agree. If you do not have enough time, such as myself because I am a full time student in St. Lawrence County and have lots of other obligations, the bridge from a CC to a Paramedic is the way to go. That is the route that I am planning on taking this upcoming fall. How long was your bridge course?

I completely agree. If you do not have enough time, such as myself because I am a full time student in St. Lawrence County and have lots of other obligations, the bridge from a CC to a Paramedic is the way to go. That is the route that I am planning on taking this upcoming fall. How long was your bridge course?

It was a semester of class and ran into the summer if you needed to finish your clinical.