Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
voltage1256

Reciprocity between NY & FL

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the state of Florida accepts Fire Fighter I & Fire Fighter II along with any other courses one might have taken in New York? I know through paperwork NYS EMT is accepted and transferred. I'm trying to find out if the same can be done with on the Fire side compared to having National Cert. Any insight is appreciated!

Your best bet is to call the county where you want to move too. They will guide you the best way possible.

Everything you need to know is on this website... Office of the State Fire Marshall

The Firefighter Minimum Standards Equivalency Examination is offered to individuals who have received training in another state (or country), that is evaluated as equivalent to that required in Florida's Firefighter Minimum Standards Course. To determine an individual's eligibility for the Equivalency Examination, a three-part application process is required. Part I is the Preliminary Equivalency Application (DFS-K4-1309). It is submitted to the Challenge Review Board, along with supporting documentation. Such documentation should be a transcript, by subject, of the hours spent in initial training. Upon review and approval of the training documentation by the Challenge Review Board, Part II, the application for the Equivalency Examination and Certification, will be sent to the applicant. Upn approval of a complete application, the applicant will take the written and practical equivalency examination (Part III). The Equivalency Examination is offered four times a year at the Florida State Fire College in Ocala. Please refer to the Testing Schedule for test dates.

The applicable Florida Statutes are F.S.633.334, F.S.633.34, F.S.633.35, F.S.633.352, F.S.633.351, and F.S. 633.353.

BFD1054 likes this

About 9-10 years ago I was looking into challenging the test in Florida having been trained here in Texas. I was talking to Charlotte County Fire/EMS and they told me to look here. www.floridastatefirecollege.org This school is located in Central Florida. Ocala to be exact.