Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hazmatguy

Emergency Vehicle Lighting

2 posts in this topic

I have some concerns with current trends in emergency vehicle lighting. My observation is that the LED light packages are way too bright at night and are blinding as one approaches a scene. The most common example is when you approach a state trooper at night but is true of other emergency vehicles also. Some light packages offer a dim mode to reduce the brightness by 1/2 but are these ever used? More and brighter lights are not more effective but some studies suggest they increase the chance for a collision. I also feel that the "crazy" random patterns that are programmed on some fire vehicles cause more harm than good. As you approach a scene, a steady lighting pattern seems to me to be more effective. You also have to consider that cones, flares, led flares and most importantly personnel can be easily washed out by these lights. Is this not a concern to others in this field?

While on the general topic, I also find mixing two siren types (air and electronic) on emergency apparatus (most common on fire trucks) causes more confusion than good. I've had cases where I've been unable to tell if there was more than one vehicle approaching. There's got to be some comon sense here.

Just curious what others think about this.......

I have some concerns with current trends in emergency vehicle lighting. My observation is that the LED light packages are way too bright at night and are blinding as one approaches a scene. The most common example is when you approach a state trooper at night but is true of other emergency vehicles also. Some light packages offer a dim mode to reduce the brightness by 1/2 but are these ever used? More and brighter lights are not more effective but some studies suggest they increase the chance for a collision. I also feel that the "crazy" random patterns that are programmed on some fire vehicles cause more harm than good. As you approach a scene, a steady lighting pattern seems to me to be more effective. You also have to consider that cones, flares, led flares and most importantly personnel can be easily washed out by these lights. Is this not a concern to others in this field?

While on the general topic, I also find mixing two siren types (air and electronic) on emergency apparatus (most common on fire trucks) causes more confusion than good. I've had cases where I've been unable to tell if there was more than one vehicle approaching. There's got to be some comon sense here.

Just curious what others think about this.......

This was discussed here: LED Lights

Yes, this is a problem. Like you said, manufacturers have introduced models that can dim at night. Sometimes less lights are more effective. As for the sirens, it depends on the opperator and apparatus.

some studies suggest they increase the chance for a collision

I'm not doubting you but, do you have a link to such study?

If you have any furthur questions, I suggest you go to elightbars.org, where all they do is talk about lights and sirens.

I also feel that the "crazy" random patterns that are programmed on some fire vehicles cause more harm than good.

Most commonaly refered to as a "split fail". If you go to elightbars, members love to hate them. Go take a look :P

Edited by firedude
x129K likes this