Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x4093k

Elmsford FD Apparatus

5 posts in this topic

I was invited to visit Elmsford FD the other day, thought i'd share some photos that I got, not too many.. I didn't bring one of my Nikon's, so these photos are based off of my IPhone, which can sometime take good pictures, and sometimes not...

This (larger) picture is Elmsford FD's TL 21- A 1993 Pierce Arrow.

mail-1.jpgphoto.jpg

Edited by x4093k
BigBuff likes this

photo-1.jpg

The above photo I found interesting when I saw it in the ladder, it has the engine right to the right of the seat, and then a small seat "packed" in there... I have never seen that before in a ladder. Very interesting...

Edited by x4093k
firedude and BigBuff like this

Elmsford FD NEW Utility 86.

Ford F550

mail-3.jpg

Ladder 55- 1999 Pierce

mail-2.jpg

Edited by x4093k
BigBuff likes this

What you are looking at is the called the dog box or as others refer to it the dog house. Some of us are very fond of that old setup.

(*)

IzzyEng4, x129K, BigBuff and 2 others like this

Just like Ed said, many of us our very fond of the old "doghouse" design. When the switch to fully enclosed apparatus began during the late 1970s through the 1990s, engines were primarily located between the jumps seats and were the norm for both canopy and enclosed cab-forward fire trucks. They were available in both fixed cab and tilt-cab (full or split) designs for engine access.

During the 1980s custom cab manufacturers began to offer the placement of the engine forward in the driver / officer portion of the cab. This desgin was actually around for a long time and offered througth the Mack MC /MR, Ford C and other style cab and chassis. The push by fire apparatus manufactures was to be able to offer more room and increased passenger numbers and also "better access" for mechanics under the hood. Hence the creation of those 10-man model cabs offered by the likes of Pierce, E-One, Sutphen, Spartan, ect.

x4093k likes this