Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Hackensack NJ UMC Welcomes New Helicopter

25 posts in this topic

Hackensack University Medical Center

Welcomes New Helicopter, AirMed1

As part of its commitment to strengthening its regional network, Hackensack University Medical Center is pleased to announce that its new helicopter, AirMed1, will become operational as of 12:01 a.m. Thursday, April 5.

“We are thrilled to welcome AirMed1 to HackensackUMC,” said Robert C. Garrett, president and chief executive officer of HackensackUMC. “Our medical center is constantly seeking ways to better serve the needs of our community and patients. As the Hackensack University Health Network continues to expand, this helicopter will offer vital transport services not only to HackensackUMC patients, but to our affiliate hospitals as well.”

“It is a privilege to enhance our commitment of emergency services to the community as well as our affiliate partners,” said Lisa Iachetti, RN, administrative director of Community Operations and Emergency Medical Services. “We look forward to offering this life-saving resource to our community for many years to come.”

Fourth helicopter in Northern NJ, second one added this week. way more helicopters in NJ then it needs. It all fun and games until there's a smoking hole in the ground.

Edited by NJMedic

Being from Philly area, is this because NJSP is getting out of the business?

Anyone with specs on these birds? I know its a long shot without federal regulation, but are these companies taking advantages of the lessons learned in the last few airmedical crashes? Are night vision, terrain avoidance, and auto pilot or a second pilot standard for these new birds?

The NJSP has no plans to get out of the business. i would hope they didn't just waste my tax dollars on new Agustas just to have them sit in West Trenton waiting to the occasional flight. The NJSP is the only operation in NJ that flies with two pilots. I don't know how Hackensack is going to make money. There first due area is very small, squeezed between the NY state line to the north, the Hudson River to the east and other flight operations to south and west.

Edited by NJMedic
EdAngiolillo likes this

Fourth helicopter in Northern NJ, second one added this week. way more helicopters in NJ then it needs. It all fun and games until there's a smoking hole in the ground.

Who was the other that added a bird.

Seems like AtlanticOne that added the other ship. The Atlantic1 ships are almost all EC-135 twin engine helicopters. NJ SP operates AW-139's that are much larger helicopters.

The NJSP has no plans to get out of the business. i would hope they didn't just waste my tax dollars on new Agustas just to have them sit in West Trenton waiting to the occasional flight. The NJSP is the only operation in NJ that flies with two pilots. I don't know how Hackensack is going to make money. There first due area is very small, squeezed between the NY state line to the north, the Hudson River to the east and other flight operations to south and west.

Are they restricted by the State boundaries? I thought they crossed into NY fairly regularly.

Isnt most profits made from inter-facility transports?

Edited by grumpyff

With the choking traffic in New Jersey, does that play a role in medical transport via aviation?

To: All Emergency Management Coordinators/JEMSTAR/New Jersey Air Medical Providers

Re: Hackensack University Medical Center's Air Medical Unit

Date: April 5, 2012

Hackensack University Medical Center, a Level II Trauma Center, has been licensed and approved by the New Jersey Department of Health to provide air medical service to the residents of New Jersey. The new air medical program will be known as Hackensack AirMed One (Call Sign: Hackensack One) and will provide additional coverage to Northern New Jersey. The air medical program is scheduled to provide coverage 24 hours a day, seven days a week from its base of operations in West Milford. Hackensack One (N135CM) will respond to both inter-facility and 9-1-1 missions and will be placed into the call rotation on April 5, 2012 (Thursday) starting at 7 AM.

Base of Operations:

Greenwood Lake Airport

126 Airport Road

West Milford, New Jersey 07480

Following the New Jersey Air Medical Dispatch Guidelines, all air medical requests, including those for Hackensack One, shall be coordinated and dispatched by REMCS.

Please contact me if you have questions or concerns.

Regards,

John B. Liqua

New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services

Office of Emergency Medical Services

The other new medevac in Northern NJ is Atlantic Air 3. It's based out of the Mountain Creek Resort in Vernon (Sussex County).

http://www.atlantica...12040310230.pdf

http://www.atlantica...tlanticAir3.pdf

These two new medevacs are based less than 10 miles from each other. :unsure:

If the new airship is at Greenwood Lake, it would make sense that it might be first due to lower Orange County, like the Florida/Warwick/Monroe/Chester/Tuxedo area, no? Greenwood Lake is closer than Stewart I would suspect, without mapping it out.

If the new airship is at Greenwood Lake, it would make sense that it might be first due to lower Orange County, like the Florida/Warwick/Monroe/Chester/Tuxedo area, no? Greenwood Lake is closer than Stewart I would suspect, without mapping it out.

Greenwood Lake Airport is significantly closer to lower Orange County and Rockland County than Stewart. But, that logic doesn't always translate to the closest medevac getting called. A lot of lower Hudson Valley counties are still habitually calling for "Stat-Flight" (LifeNet), even though Air 1 hasn't been based at WCMC since August of 2009.

I have heard NorthSTAR fly into Rockland on occasion, but it's usually as the 2nd or even 3rd medevac requested. Whether or not the Hackensack medevac gets called to Orange/Rockland remains to be seen. I'm not familiar enough with the protocols for calling an out-of-state medevac to say for certain, insofar as what certification is required or what procedures Orange 911 and 44-Control would have in place to call Hackensack before they would call LifeNet.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that Atlantic Air 3 is only available between 11am and 11pm.

Greenwood Lake Airport is significantly closer to lower Orange County and Rockland County than Stewart. But, that logic doesn't always translate to the closest medevac getting called. A lot of lower Hudson Valley counties are still habitually calling for "Stat-Flight" (LifeNet), even though Air 1 hasn't been based at WCMC since August of 2009.

I have heard NorthSTAR fly into Rockland on occasion, but it's usually as the 2nd or even 3rd medevac requested. Whether or not the Hackensack medevac gets called to Orange/Rockland remains to be seen. I'm not familiar enough with the protocols for calling an out-of-state medevac to say for certain, insofar as what certification is required or what procedures Orange 911 and 44-Control would have in place to call Hackensack before they would call LifeNet.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that Atlantic Air 3 is only available between 11am and 11pm.

Field providers don't specify which Medevac unit is dispatched. The fact that "Stat Flight" is requested by name is purely out-of-habit and it is really only semantics. In the Westchester/Rockland/Surrounding region, you could get either of the LifeNet's or NYSP. A solution would be a broad-based dispatch protocol that assures closet unit responses independent of State Lines. LifeNet already coordinates appropriate unit response as it is with the rotating call schedule between LifeNet and NYSP. Interstate mutual aid is addressed in part by Title 10 Part 800.14. As with almost anything in EMS, there is usually a better way forward, and one can only hopes that brighter minds prevail.

EdAngiolillo and ny10570 like this

NJSP has a better safety record, anyway. The joke around my old Squad was when MonOC got a bird - the nickname was "FallingSTAR." The way NJ is set up, it probably makes the most sense to have no more than 2 in the North and 2 (maybe 3 due to the more rural nature of the region) in the South.

I know Atlantic sent a bird to CT for a medical during the Kleen Energy power plant explosion. Both of Lifestar's birds were tied up.

Whose going to call Hackensack for a transfer? Certainly not hospitals in NYC. St Joseph's, I doubt it. Morristown? No. Jersey City, No. Westchester? I doubt it. Unuiversity in Newark? No, Any hospital in Bergen County? Certainly doesn't fit the risk:benefit answer.

Maybe Orange. I do not what kida volume the would put out. Good Sam?

So in NJ you have: NorthStar

SouthStar

Atlantic 1

Atantic 2

Atlantic 3

MONON 1

Hackensack 1

Medevac 5

Also in NJ is the USCG Air Sta AC

And right across the Delaware River.....University Medevac, StatMeevac, PennStar, Jeff Stat, and Christiana Care

I know Atlantic sent a bird to CT for a medical during the Kleen Energy power plant explosion. Both of Lifestar's birds were tied up.

Is CT so short of capable SCT/CCT units that waiting for Atlantic was worth it?

WIth NJMedic's list, that is a LOT of helicopters, especially when you figure in all the private and new helicopters also in the area. It's really a hit-or-miss profit game, and I wonder if Hackensack is doing this partly for publicity.

How many PD's in the NJ area have helicopter?

Is CT so short of capable SCT/CCT units that waiting for Atlantic was worth it?

Sorry, I'm not an EMT. I have no idea what an SCT or CCT unit is.

Sorry, I'm not an EMT. I have no idea what an SCT or CCT unit is.

Does Connecticut have such a shortage of Critical Care Transport units, that they opted to wait for AtlanticCare for a transport?

I just checked the old incident thread from the CT Fire website on the Kleen Energy Explosion.

Lifestar 1 and 2 were on the ground for the incident. Atlantic Air 1 was used for a call in Derby for a Pediatric trauma to go to CT Children's Medical Center.

Almost none. Newark has one, I think. Monmouth county has a multi use helicopter available to them. Of course the NJSP. The PANYNJ Police disbanded their aviation unit last year.