Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheNewLadder32

New Articulated Aerial by Spartan ERV

6 posts in this topic

Hey just wanted to share this found it on the Spartan ERV website a 138' Foot Articulated Aerial. I guess with new name new products or maybe a work in art for a while? Thoughts ,comments, also would you say it is kind of copying Bronto and Rosenbauer ? Also do you think articulated aerials are big in the U.S. ?

http://www.spartanerv.com/product.aspx?id=40206

I would say that articulated aerials were at one time much more popular then they are now. In Westchester, I know Mount Vernon, Verplank and Bedford Hills had articulated platforms. Chicago basically invented the snorkel, but now only has one company that use them. Same thing with a lot of departments in New England. I was reading something the other day, they were very prone to accidents, though and attributed in LODD's from coast to coast.

Personally, I think they are great especially in tight urban areas with numerous obstacles or departments with complicated industrial facilites.

The con, is that they are really expensive to purchase and maintain, and in many cases, a very difficult device that requires a lot of training and experience to operate safely.

TheNewLadder32 likes this

I would say that articulated aerials were at one time much more popular then they are now. In Westchester, I know Mount Vernon, Verplank and Bedford Hills had articulated platforms. Chicago basically invented the snorkel, but now only has one company that use them. Same thing with a lot of departments in New England. I was reading something the other day, they were very prone to accidents, though and attributed in LODD's from coast to coast.

Personally, I think they are great especially in tight urban areas with numerous obstacles or departments with complicated industrial facilites.

The con, is that they are really expensive to purchase and maintain, and in many cases, a very difficult device that requires a lot of training and experience to operate safely.

Interesting I did not know that they were unsafe i did know they cost a buck. I thought they were safe but i guess with all the high draulics itz probably not. And wow I also did not know about the LODD's it caused scary. :wacko:

Looks like a Gimaex with a Spartan stuck under it......or it's a Gimaex on its new chassis.....

Very similar to the other articulating platforms in the US market (Rosenbauer/Metz & Pierce/Bronto) this boom is imported. Everything below the turntable is Spartan.

Seth, if the article you read is the same one I am thinking of, it was about the ALF aero-chiefs and not the Pitman Snorkle. The Aero-Chiefs were known to be bulky, didnlt have a good foot print for the jack spread and would tip over, especially the larger lengths, if the operator did not foloow the correct operation guidelines. During the 70s, Snorkle was purchased by Figgie and ALF began using them.

TheNewLadder32 likes this