Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mllax14

Baltimore Co, MD LODD ATF Modeling Videos... Worth watching

3 posts in this topic

This is the video (in three parts) the ATF produced to accompany its engineering analysis utilizing Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS) of the fire that killed Lutherville VFC Firefighter Mark Falkenhan last year. There are links above to the ATF report by Adam St. John P.E., Fire Protection Engineer ATF Fire Research Laboratory and the internal report the Baltimore County Fire Department released in March. The modeling is matched with the fireground and dispatch radio traffic.

I never had the privilege of knowing Mark personally, but i'm friends with a few of the guys at Lutherville that did and i must say it was one of the largest LODD funerals i have ever been to. The show of support was unbelievable. These videos in conjunction of the ATF report offer alot of insight as to what happened that night and the things we can take away from this tragedy, especially with the 3rd video showing the alternative models that show how different things could have been if doors were shut, i know while operating on the fireground it can easily be forgotten, but it could make a tremendous difference in conditions.

http://statter911.co...mark-falkenhan/

FDNY 10-75 and 16fire5 like this

Wow, definitely a good training tool to prevent future incidents like this. In West Haven we have more than a few of these garden apartments and this is a plausible scenario for us.

I forwarded this on to everyone else in my Firefighter 2 class and I'll be sure to put this up the next time we need a rainy day drill at the firehouse.

Make sure you watch all parts especially part 3.