Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Rye BrooK Fire Dept.

3 posts in this topic

What is the deal with RBFD? They work from 7 to 7 during the week? Are they a full time dept? How many trucks do they have?

I would love to work there because it seems they are just starting out, and you might be able to move up the career ladder somewhat quickly.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Portchester sends a Truck, Engine, Rescue to calls within the RB district. There have been some pretty nasty battles over this territory and the fire service there. It has changed a few times in the past decade from what I believe was full Portchester coverage to Rural Metro without PC coverage and now to RBFD with some type of support from PC.

The Village of Port Chester was the only department responding into Rye Brook at one time. Then pride, EGO'S and some just plain stupid people from both sides screwed everything up. Rye Brook bringing Rural/Metro in was NOT a money issue, Port Chester losing Rye Brook was NOT because of money. It was from the town boards not willing to play nicely. Rural Metro failed as everyone knows and is thankful for.

Rye Brook kept 4 men working Monday - Friday from 9-5. As time went on this was upgraded to 8 men working 7 day's a week from 7am - 7pm. There have been some nasty battles in the area. Some have quieted down and others have not. Port Chester does still respond into Rye Brook for all calls except for EMS. For the most part everyone gets along. As with everything else there will always be some that can't get past certain issues and move on. Some are stuck on over 100 years of tradition unwilling to change and make things better from both sides of the fence.

There is a 75' quint and a rescue pumper in Rye Brook.

CM36, your father may have an opinion of you working Rye Brook.

If anyone has any other questions about Rye Brook, feel free to ask.

These comments are mine and mine alone.